Author Topic: Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit.... Plug and Play service won't start  (Read 13263 times)

Offline acdn

• View Profile
Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit.... Plug and Play service won't start
« on: November 12, 2013, 07:19:51 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I am at my wits end.  My windows 7 box is telling me that the Plug and Play service has failed that my computer is going to restart.  Fortunately, I found a way to stop the rebooting cycle, by quickly running "shutdown -a".  Now I can start to look around and try to figure out what is going on.

A quick check of the services list shows the Plug and Play service is in fact not running. Trying to manually start it results in the same error message.

Here is what I have tried.

- IOBit Advanced System care registry and disk scanning
- CHKDSK
- SFC /scanow (reports 4 corrupt files, wercplsupport.dll, sbdrop.dll, SPInf.dll, sortkey.nlp ) (I have not replaced these yet, still working out how exactly)
- Windows Defender Offline
- Tweaking.com All In One
- Windows repair install (cannot run without the Plug and Play service)

Open to any and all helpful ideas.

I've already resorted to the fact that I probably won't be able to repair this. However, I don't want to stop trying. There has to be a way to fix it!

Offline acdn

• View Profile
Re: Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit.... Plug and Play service won't start
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:51:58 am »

SUCCESS!

Ok, so after manually replacing the corrupt files identified by SFC there was no change in behavior.  I dug into the actual dll's used by the plug and play service and manually replaced those. Which was only file: umpnpmgr.dll.  This resolved my issue, on next reboot the Plug and Play service fired up.  Now the interesting thing is that not a single piece of diagnostic software could tell this file was corrupt.  I almost didn't replace it either because the number of bytes of the corrupt file matched exactly with the file I replaced it with. 

Maybe this post will help someone else, as for me I am thrilled to not have to rebuilt a development machine!  :artist:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 06:44:20 pm »
Actually if you want to see if the file was different or not use this
http://implbits.com/HashTab.aspx

This will allow you to get a md5 has of the file from the properties screen, then you can do it on the other file as well. If the file is different even by 1 byte the md5 will be different.

Also when you replaced the file did you register it as well? Reason why I ask is when you register dll files they write their info to the registry. If that was the part that might have got you working then I need to make sure that dll is in my windows repair tool to be registered :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 12:37:09 am »
Hi, Shane
                 One doubt here. Could you manually download dll files from other sites. Would it not be unsafe. The other way i found is to go to the dvd and then go to the directory where the dll files are and then download them. 7zip, actually shows up the inside of each of the win7 system, which contains all the versions and you could choose yours by . I have tried and succeeded in getting some of the corrupted files.But downloading from suspicious sites definitely compromise your system with unnecessary pop ups and all that . The link is
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/42776-extract-files-windows-7-installation-dvd.html
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:56:28 am »
I normally always use the dvd to pull the files I need. I dont know the sites well enough to download from them, not to mention all the different file versions people may get the wrong one and just make things worse.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:12:14 pm »
Hi, Shane, I also get the files from the windows dvd by using 7zip as given in seven forums idea. First, i downloaded some files which led to the pop up screen of using the registry cleaner by the sites from where i downloaded. Sometimes it is annoying that instead of helping file download, they dent in to your system with unwanted promotional offers etc.
            Did i give any wrong ideas in my previous post?
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:01:52 am »
Did i give any wrong ideas in my previous post?

Looks fine to me :-)

Shane