Author Topic: Repair Firewall  (Read 11531 times)

Offline Maxaira

• View Profile
Repair Firewall
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:11:52 am »
For months my Windows Firewall would not function.  I tried Microsoft and a dozen other repair methodologies, but nothing worked.  I resorted to finding an online Firewall [freebie!], but they were not satisfactory for one reason or another.  I decided to try a repair once again and came across Tweaking.com.  There was a simple little "download" to repaid windows firewall, and I tried it.  It took 86sec to repair, and now functions as it did when I first got this computer.  Bravo!
Now, if there was just another such program to allow updates rather than the odious "8024200d error", I would be ecstatic.  Updates are never completely successful, though I do utilize their Troubleshooter and it works to a limited degree.  I feel certain that anyone that can write a program to correct a broken firewall, will find this one also fairly simple.  Bon Chance!!

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Repair Firewall
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:09:49 am »
- I presume you used the "stand alone" program (Repair Firewall) ?

Try this:
- Grab the latest "All in one" version (www.tweaking.com) version v2.01. Install it & make a System Restore Point and a Registry Backup (Step 4).
- Run repair #16 (Windows Update), reboot. Problem solved ?
- Run repairs #1, 2 (select the drive on which your OS has been installed), 3, 6, 7, 13, 16, 25, 26. Reboot. Problem solved ?
- Run ALL repairs (takes a LONG time). Reboot. Problem solved ??

And please post a reply telling us whether these instructions were helpful or not.

Offline Maxaira

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:21:13 am »
Thanks for your reply.  I should have mentioned, my omission, that I had in fact run the "all in one" with the exception of the "Firewall Repair" and while it did take a while to get through it all, when I completed it and went looking for updates, the updates still did not download.  As I said, windows "Mr Fix-It" did not either.  So there is something in there either by way of a corrupted file or something similar that still brings up the nasty "error" message. Still, thanks for the advice and I will keep a look out for anything new you might have in the future.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:10:58 pm »
- I am glad you got the Firewall back on its feet.
- What system are you on ?  XP, Vista,  32 bit/64 bit, ............. ?
- I attached a file in this thread

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,1487.0.html

grab it, unzip it and run it with admin rights. Perhaps it will solve your problem. If it does, then I know where Windows Repair needs to be improved.

Please post a reply.

Offline Maxaira

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:23:49 am »
Forgive my ignorance, but "grab what"?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 11:29:43 am »
What system are you on ? XP, Vista, 32 bit, 64 bit, ............ ?

Grab the file in the attachment, unzip it, switch off internet and run the file with admin rights. And report back whether it solved the problem.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 06:38:36 pm »
Odd, normally the repairs get updates working again, unless it is something outside of windows updates causing the problem.

Just to cover all bases have you tried this yet?
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,1052.0.html

Shane

Offline Maxaira

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 07:37:55 pm »
Well, one small step for mankind ... and an even smaller one for me.  The updates that I have tried to bring on numbered 28, but only 10 made the grade.  That's less than 50%, but it's the most that I've had success with in over  a year.  That's something.  Whatever you did in that link you set me on to had some effect, but whatever the problem is, it's still there albeit somewhat diminished.  Incidentally I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit.  Let me know if you come up with anything else that might cinch this thing once and for all.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 10:40:51 pm »
- What link are you talking about ? I presume Shane's ?
- Did you try the "Windows Update Readiness tool" ?
- A trick that helps me sometimes is selecting & updating one update at a time.

Offline Maxaira

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 11:54:18 am »
Yes, the link that Shane proposed.  I also downloaded the Windows help that was suggested, and while it did not totally help, it did allow one new update to do with a "Hotfix" to be installed.  Other than that, I am still not getting all the updates that Windows is recommending.  I fear [though not dreadfully so] that this situation is a dead one.  I am thankful, however, that we have progressed as far as we have, and if any further remedies come to the fore, I will be pleased to hear about them.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 11:59:14 am »
Now that some of them installed and you changed the DNS servers, use my windows repair tool again and do the repair Windows updates.

This will delete all the downloaded files and let Windows update start fresh, it will recheck the system and then download the files it needs. All updates that where installed will stay installed dont worry.

Reason why I want to try this now is if the files had trouble downloading before and they didn't download correctly then letting them redownload is a good next step :-)

When you run my Windows repair tool run all the repairs. Just have it do a regbackup first in case anything goes wrong.

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 05:59:06 pm »
I don't k now whether the problem has been solved but when I was GOOGLE-ing for some other related info, I came across a comprehensive list of WU error codes:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm

"Error 8024200D:  The installer requires more data to be downloaded"

(Haven't got a clue what this means).