Author Topic: Setting and deleting a schedule  (Read 7294 times)

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
Setting and deleting a schedule
« on: December 21, 2013, 01:00:31 pm »
I'm still trying to work out a scheduled regbackup. I set one schedule. Didn't work the way I wanted. Hit the delete button under settings and thought it was gone. But all that did was disable it. Went into Win7 scheduled tasks, found the scheduled task for Tweaking, deleted it from there. Went back into the program to try to set a new schedule and when I hit "create schedule," it told me, it threw up a dialog with "schedule created." So I hit "delete schedule" again. Another dialog box with "schedule deleted." Seems the program can't make up its mind here. Rebooted, since I had to delete the schedule from Win Scheduled Tasks, thought I'd reboot. Same thing when I hit either create schedule or delete schedule. Must be a Tweaking log or setting file that is not updating.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Setting and deleting a schedule
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 02:09:58 pm »
Went back into the program to try to set a new schedule and when I hit "create schedule," it told me, it threw up a dialog with "schedule created." So I hit "delete schedule" again. Another dialog box with "schedule deleted.

I am not fully understanding the problem. You clicked create schedule, so the program tells you it created it. Then you clicked delete, and of course the program tells you it deleted it. You clicked the buttons and it did what they are suppose to lol

Are you referring how the program still shows the same buttons even if there is a schedule or not? That is because I dont have the program check the scheduled tasks. It is actually hard to do for some odd reason and causes the program to load slower because every time you open it it would have to scan the task scheduler to see if it is in there.

So I just leave all the 3 buttons enabled by default instead.  :wink:

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:45:28 pm »
Your email pushed me to do more experimenting and I just figured out how buttons work.

What I've been trying to do is created a schedule for the program to create a backup on boot, much like ERUNT.  I tried several triggers and they all significantly increased boot time. Can you recommend settings that will create the backup at startup invisibly and not slow boot to a crawl. For the moment, I'm manually creating the backups after boot and before I start my work. I can see from the scheduling options I can run it hidden.  And I noticed that I can use the "fallback method" by running it once manually and invoking that option. Just looking for a way to get this chore done quickly and invisibly. What do you lose with fallback? Thanks for your time.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 02:50:15 pm »
I never noticed much of a difference on boot time for my system. But I bet I know what is doing it. The program uses the volume shadow copy to back up the registry. Which uses the hard drive heavily and if you have a lot of start up programs loading up and the drive is busy trying to make a shadow copy then that is going to slow things down.

Erunt doesnt use VSS but uses the Windows API instead. Which is what the fallback method in my program is. So under the settings just tell the program to always use the fallback method. It will use the API instead of the VSS like erunt does, which means boot times will be better since VSS wont be hogging the the hdd  :cheesy:

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 03:06:45 pm »
Thank you, Shane. I agree with your underlying philosophy that SysRestore can be problematic and that backing up the registry is really the best way to protect the basic system. Had ERUNT running on wife's XP Box, which win updates crashed to a BSOD. I tried everything. Even took it to a tech friend. Then I remembered the reg backups. We restored one two days old and just like that we were up and running. Thanks for the help.
Michael Norman

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 03:15:01 pm »
Always happy to help :-)

Shane