Author Topic: Windows Repair (all in one) leaving the system totally open?  (Read 6058 times)

Offline 01000101

• View Profile
Windows Repair (all in one) leaving the system totally open?
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:30:43 am »
Hello,

I followed the tipp to use Windows Repair (all in one) from a microsoft forum, in order to get the Windows Firewall running again. The good thing is: this worked.

But from my understanding, setting the registry permissions and file permissions open for 'everyone' (the user) and normal users (with normally limited rights) makes my computer totally vulnerable to all kinds of attacks. Being logged on as a user with limited rights, I just tried to delete some system files, and it worked.

So, using Windoes Repair (all in one) does not 'repair' registry and file permissions, but erases all security features the OS has to offer. To me, this seems to be a total nightmare.

Questions:
1. Are these assumptions correct so far?
2. Is there a way to repair the 'repair', re-establishing registry and file security?

I fear that using this software leaves users, which value system security, no choice but to reinstall windows afterwards, which would make the software pretty useless. Please tell me that I am wrong.

Thanks!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair (all in one) leaving the system totally open?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 12:31:02 pm »
Leaving the system open to viruses and such, no n ot really. The reason being is there is still and always a way for a program to get the permission it needs and all the new viruses since vista came out target the changes. The benefit is old programs will now work on the system since they where written before the new security changes.

Now if you have the computer used in a work or school and you like to keep things locked down then yes it does open things up. Normal setup is a home user who needs and uses full rights anyways.

The main problem comes down to all the different systems and all the variables based on each system. Where the tighten security might be set on one machine might be different on another, and if I set the files like that then all of a sudden things get broken. So I have it do it to where things will work no matter what.

I can see if Windows vista, 7 and 8 have a default that can be applied to the system files on a system. But it is because of all the different Windows versions and different system setups that I took the safest route of using everyone (Back in the XP days)

I have seen systems with limited users, UAC, antivirus and everything else still get infected and broken.

I do have the file permissions skip the profiles on the system though. SO if you have a profile that is locked form other users it should stay that way :wink:

Shane