Author Topic: Sharing violation error while installing Windows Repair  (Read 10808 times)

Offline xakarii

• View Profile
Sharing violation error while installing Windows Repair
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:44:19 am »
I just downloaded Windows Repair after reading some positive reviews because my computer is painfully slow when accessing the file system and a problem scan revealed registry and memory errors.

When I try to install I got an error a couple of times that said "Encountered a sharing violation while accessing C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair(All in One)\files\settings.ini".

I tried selecting run as administrator when I opened it, and now it's the same message but with "fix_exe_hijack.inf" instead.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing violation error while installing Windows Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:50:11 am »
Something is either scanning or reading those files and isnt allowing the installer to install the files.

Try downloading the portable version instead, extract the whole zip file to a folder and see if you can run it then as well.

Have you ran a checks on the systems for infections first? Also I have had more than hand full of different antiviruses that for some reason or another went nuts on a system and slowed everything down to a crawl. How does the system respond to you in safe mode?

Shane

Offline xakarii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:22:04 am »
Thanks for your help!  I had exited Mcafee but forgot Microsoft security essentials real time protection was running so I toggled it off and ran the installer again, it eventually installed but I did get an error about being unable to update a certain file and restarted and finished installing, but not before getting the sharing violation error one more time.

I ran the repair and restarted and Windows seemed to start up more quickly, but I'm still experiencing bouts of unresponsiveness when navigating from file to file.   Going to run it again in just a bit after doing the optional file checks that I skipped the first time.  Also probably going to download Microsoft's free Anti-Virus software and see if that helps.  Not sure if Microsoft's AV is better than Mcafee, but I've heard good things.

Thanks again!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:31:23 am »
Make sure to do a bad sector check on the hard drive.

Shane

Offline xakarii

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »
Will do.  Also I realized not long after I posted that MSE apparently is MSAV.  I think they changed the name after it's beta version.