Author Topic: Windows Security refuses to let me move my documents within the same folder  (Read 25909 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Well then that is odd, I built all my systems with parts from newegg as well lol

I install Windows 7 almost daily and never ran into what you are. You did a fresh install?

Oh and your Windows 7 disk has SP1 already on it correct? I dont know how old your disk is, so thats why I ask.

Shane

Offline Racco

• View Profile
Yes.  Yes fresh install, like I said, I even scrubbed the SSD with Parted Magic.  I bought it in December so yes, it has SP1 loaded.  I am about to pull the few white hairs I have left.

Can this have anything to do with an SSD Programs load and the fact that all my Documents are in an E: HDD?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I dont know as I havent seen it, which means my OCD wants to see it lol

I am curious to what is going on myself, and if possible make a repair for it.

I should have time later today to teamviewer into you and work with you and see if I can spot anything.

I am in Oregon so just have to be online at the same time as you :-)

Shane

Offline Racco

• View Profile
I'd love to, just tell me what buttons to punch.  However, this PM I need to be out of the house for appointments.  I will be back to this salt mine tomorrow all day, I am in Central Time so 2 hours ahead of you, can you tell me what time will work for you?  Just tell me whose time zone.

Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am just working on a new version of my hardware identify program right now.

We could do it right now if you wanted or tomorrow morning some time.

Shot me an email and we can fig out a time.

shane at tweaking.com and you will want to grab teamviewer.

http://download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS_en.exe

Shane

Offline Racco

• View Profile
Okay,
Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:06:52 pm by Shane »

Offline Racco

• View Profile
 :smiley: :cheesy: :wink: :artist: :tongue:
There aren't enough Icons to thank Shane for solving the Problem I listed here.
Shane solved it!!

I had been to Microsoft Technical Help and all they did was destroyed the OS in my machine without solving the problem.
The problem has its roots in using Microsoft's "Windows Easy Transfer" to move data files from an old ONE Hard Drive desktop to a new 2 Storage device Desktop (an SSD + HDD).
On the new Machine, I installed the SSD first, loaded the new OS and programs I needed.  Afterwards, I installed the HDD and used Windows Easy Transfer to capture my data.
In addition to move what I needed, Windows Easy Transfer also moved some system files.
My new OS (C Drive) thought anything in the HDD (E drive) was a foreign machine.

The solution was to move the Data out of E, kill the system files and recreate E, then move the Data back.
I have Shane to thank for the detective work and cleanup.

If you don't want this problem, be careful on this type of transfer and avoid the issue I just described.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Happy to help :-)

For other users who might have this problem,

The problem was only happening on the E: drive. His C: and F: did not give the error. On the E: I could make a new txt file and try to move it and it would still do it. If I moved the files off the E: to one of the other drives they where fine.

So I moved all the files off of the E: drive. Delete the E: partition then recreated it. The problem was the file system on E:. Once I wiped it and recreated it the file system was new and fixed. Moved the data back to E: and no more problems :-D

Shane