Author Topic: Windows/Outlood instant search disabled usingWindows Repair (All In One)  (Read 11834 times)

Offline nick2011deuce

• View Profile
Using Windows Repair (All In One) happened to disable, in particular, my Outlook instant search capability  on both of my computers.  I'm looking into how I may get the capability back.

I certainly appreciate all the hard work and effort you put into helping many like myself.  I just want to provide this feedback so that you may consider looking into this and applying a tweak to the program.  All the best, Nick   

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Outlook just uses the built in Windows Search, which the Windows Repair would have set that service to Auto like it should be.

What version of Windows?

Shane

Offline nick2011deuce

• View Profile
Thanks for the quick response. 

Windows Vista & Windows 7

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK, go to the services and check to see if Windows Search is running. :wink:

Shane

Offline nick2011deuce

• View Profile
Yes, both are running and set to Automatic.  I have the Windows 7 back searching but it isn't indexing files properly.  I ran Outlook and re-indexed all the files.  This got the W7 back to automatic indexing.  I have to manually index which takes forever to receive results on Vista. I may need to make the changes I have Made on W7 and restart my computer after each change.  That seemed to get the W7 indexing working again although, a little squirrley.       

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Intresting, none of the repairs target the Windows search, the only repair that touches it is the set services to default startup, which it has it set to automatic.

The index file location is
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb"

Since you already started the reindex we cant see if that file was changed or removed. I will load up vmware and do a test and see if I can find anything that effects it :-)

Shane

Offline nick2011deuce

• View Profile
The Windows searches were not affected; only the Outlook search capabilities.   

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That is what is odd, Windows search also indexes the outlook pst file and the emails in it.

I had a customer who had outlook stop working with the search, didn't use my program, not sure what caused it, but I had the Windows search reindex again and it grabbed everything. And even the outlook emails are stored in that index file.

It is a common problem with it
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2769651

BUT I want to know why it happened after using my repair program. Did the Windows Search scope change and it didnt include outlook? I wonder if WMI plays any part in it since the program does clear WMI and rebuilds it.

Shane

Offline nick2011deuce

• View Profile
I haven't noticed any change in the Windows scope of indexing on either computer - just in Outlook. I may have misled you.  I manually re-indexed all the files in Outlook after having had the problem.  Windows did not do it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No I understand :-)

What I am saying is, the Windows Search is what does the indexing, outlook works directly with it. For some reason outlook couldn't pull any results from it. So once you rebuilt the index for outlook it was fine.

What I am trying to find out, is what repair in the program had a side effect with it. None of the repairs target Search or Office, BUT MS products always rely on so many other things in the system, just like the firewall relies on WMI and many others. I dont think i have seen a MS product that ran on its own without relying on something else, service or otherwise lol.

So my goal is to find what. So far I thinking MAYBE the Repair WMI, only because WMI is used by so many things in Windows and MS. I dont change anything in the Windows server, and as you seen the indexing for the reset of the system was fine, it was only outlook. Almost like outlook couldn't talk to the search until you started a reindex.

What version of Outlook by the way? I want to google and see if I can find out how outlook talks to the Windows search, that might lead me in the right direction :-)

Oh and anything in the event viewer that might help?

Shane

Offline nick2011deuce

• View Profile
I got it!  Following each setting reset, I restarted the computer.  That appeared to set things back in motion. 

Thanks for your concern and prompt assistance.

BTW: Both are running Outlook 2007.

Good luck and I hope you found the Roku remote. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So it worked itself out after a reboot?

Should I keep looking into it or is it good to go?

Shane

Offline nick2011deuce

• View Profile
I believe we're good to go, Thx.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good to hear :-)

Shane