Author Topic: I get an invalid picture when in safe mode  (Read 9816 times)

Offline Rod

• View Profile
I get an invalid picture when in safe mode
« on: March 15, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »
I followed directions, did a power reset then some optional repairs, SFC - ck disk plus a back up & sys restore. Then booted in safe mode with networking on a Windows 7 computer. What happens is I get an invalid picture message with and X in a red circle. The program does not load in safe mode. I tried it from the shortcut and start menu. I could have taken a screen shot but its the same that has happened before. I planned to take the free version for a test drive then consider the pro. Hopefully it can be resolved, if not no point in going any farther. Thanks for your help
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:18:00 pm by Rod »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I get an invalid picture when in safe mode
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 11:29:09 pm »
can you open cmd prompt and type in sfc /scannow
Julian

Offline Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:12:48 am »
Yes as mentioned I did that before I posted. However I did it again with no integrity violations. I also booted into safe mode 3 or 4 times. There is a definite problem. Its seems kind of strange that only a few get this message.  Thanks for your time

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 03:43:06 pm »
Run the program a couple of times in normal mode and then try again in Safe Mode.

You don't need to be connected to the Internet for it to run in Win 7 so it would be safe to disable your AV program and switch off your router.

You could also try deleting the desktop icon and run the program from All Programs.

This problem was reported in 2013 and Shane replied at the time that the program was written in the old school VB6.

Don't know if that is still the case given the transformation it will have undergone since then, but from a Google, a similar problem was resolved by removing the icon - if I understood it correctly.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:01:16 pm by Boggin »

Offline Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 04:53:16 pm »
I deleted the icon and did as suggested. It appears to run fine and did before but I never tried the repair part. It says its best to run that in safe mode. I know some programs that may interfere  & I do not want to take a chance. I know there is a backup but I'd prefer to feel safe at this time. Maybe later on but not now.  Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 05:07:43 pm »
Were you still getting the Invalid Picture message in Safe Mode after deleting the icon ?

If your system is running fine then there's no need to run WR, but if you don't want to rely on the registry back up, then create an external system image - which is something you should be doing anyway.

Offline Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 05:20:11 pm »
Yes invalid image still showed in safe mode. It seems to run well but has a minor quirk or two. It is set to back up every week and I believe there is a system image there. I'll check it out. I thought of upgrading to win 10 without any issues. Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 05:43:02 pm »
Well, you definitely want an external system image before upgrading.

While you will have the option to roll back for 30 days after the upgrade, there have been reports of this not working.

Not sure if MS have gotten their hands dirty in that.

If you are using an OEM machine, you may have the option to create a set of Recovery disks which will be a copy of the Recovery partition with which to factory reset and you will need a Win 7 System Repair disk to boot up into the advanced boot options to restore with an image created on an external HDD.

Because Win 10 boots up that quickly, F2 and F12 no longer work, so before the upgrade go into the BIOS and set it permanently to boot from the ODD and USB before the HDD, although I believe you have the option from within Win 10 to access the recovery options - you'll need to have a Google for those as I haven't bothered adding those to my notes.

Offline Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 07:42:06 pm »
Thanks, that is good info to know. I have an old external SATA 2 i can use, a little slow but better than what might happen. I did not know it booted to fast. I'm not sure I will upgrade but if I do I want a new MB and secondary SSD in it first. I build it & made a system repair disk. Trying to learn win 10 may go to the back burner before the free version expires. Thanks again.