Author Topic: Won't finish loading.  (Read 8523 times)

Offline chucklbb

• View Profile
Won't finish loading.
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:42:37 am »
  :angry: Windows Repair won't run on my laptop. It refuses to run in my normal account because it is also my admin account according to Tweaking. In other applications I have to click give admin approval to get some applications to run. Don't understand these inconsistencies.
I added a new user account after monkeying everal hours on the above. In this new account it usually doesn't go ahead and load when I put in the required admin PIN. I even tried a wrong PIN to force password, either way it just dies and doesn't go ahead and load. I did get it  to load once early on and when I booted into safe mode it didn't load my network and I had no internet.
Before this I had successfully run it on my tablet with no problems. It ran on my normal account. They are the same on both devices.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Won't finish loading.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:27:13 am »
You haven't said which version of Windows you are using, as from Win 8.1 wireless doesn't normally work with Safe Mode but you can Ethernet connect to see if you can get the Internet.

You only need Networking for >=Win 8.1 because the program requires Internet to access the Component Store.

Boot up into Safe Mode with or without Networking then right click on the Tweaking.com icon and select Run as administrator to see if it will run then and then you should be able to carry out the Permissions reset and other repairs.

Offline chucklbb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:44:12 pm »
Thanks for the help. Running 10 Pro. I had already solved the problem. "Operator Error"
I have now completely run the software and fixed this machine. Am starting on another at this time. :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 01:51:22 am »
At the risk of embarrassment :) what was the operator error ?

Offline chucklbb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 02:01:11 am »
Automatically picking the first button in the drop down in All Programs Tweaking.com. The column was so narrow I couldn't see that it was to open the log file. That cost a lot of hours. :-)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 02:25:40 am »
Are you talking about All Programs from the Start button - mine is to open the system tray icon, but do you not launch the program from the desktop icon ?

Offline chucklbb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 02:31:28 am »
Yes I am talking about START, ALL PROGRAMS, TWEAKING.COM. Shortcuts on this computer were getting unreliable from the Task Bar. May still be, haven't checked it out yet.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 02:59:23 am »
While the program can be launched from the system tray icon, I just normally use the desktop icon.

Have you tried unpinning and then repining them ?

In Control Panel/System and Security/Find and fix problems, Maintenance checks for broken shortcuts - see what that reports.

EDIT - Forgot you were running Win 10, so that may be different to how you do it in Win 7.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:03:16 am by Boggin »

Offline chucklbb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 05:23:33 am »
You are correct in your assumption. I have a Dell D820 with Windows 7 Ultimate. I keep it percolating because my Diabetes tracking Software won't run on anything after that. I started with Windows 3.??, I think 12, and I can tell you  that Windows 10 is, in my opinion, far superior to all the others. I've also had 95, 98, 2000, Vista and XP. I really enjoy the added features in 10. To me it seems to have the best of all of those other OSes. My second choice would be 2000 and 3rd XP. The least favorite was of course Vista. Gonna have a nap now so won't be replying for awhile.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 06:00:29 am »
So in Win 10 you would need to recreate the system tray shortcut from the program which would entail unpinning them as I'd first suggested ?

I tried Win 10 briefly on this machine and it didn't sit very well with the Start menu becoming dead with no option to do anything.

Cortana didn't recognise I was in the UK and using the English (UK) language, so I factory reset it and restored with a system image I'd created before the upgrade.

I didn't like Win 10 because for me, there was nothing I could do better in Win 10 that I could do easier in Win 7.