Author Topic: Re: Microsoft management console not working (SOLVED)  (Read 22127 times)

Offline crimson

• View Profile
Re: Microsoft management console not working (SOLVED)
« on: April 13, 2014, 12:15:42 am »
Hi Guys,

I installed a windows 7 home premium, SP1 two days ago. After installing all the drivers needed, I ran the advanced tools options like performance monitor and so forth . They worked.

I gave windows updates yesterday and I noticed today that I am unable to open service.msc, performance monitor, and a few other advanced tools under ' performance information and tools ---> advanced tools' .. they all open with another pop saying windows management console not working.

In order to make sure what was causing the problem, I even did a clean boot, with startup programs disabled and only microsoft services running. ( i was able to open services.msc in safe mode and not clean boot)

So no background programs are causing this problem. There seems to be no other problems though... speed is good, i have internet access, i can open other programs, i am able to install programs and such.

So i ran windows all in one repair' software, went through each step and that didn't solve it either.

My only option is to do a system restore before windows update of 149 total and I am wondering if that is a good thing to do since I will be going back on so many of them.

I would like to know if there are any other options available.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:26:19 am by crimson »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft management console not working
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:58:54 am »
Are you able to open the mmc itself?

Go to start and then run and put in mmc.exe

Does it open?

Shane

Offline crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:03:46 am »
yes it did. I tried to create a separate console for performance monitor. When i tried to open the new console, it kept saying that microsoft management console has stopped working. So i have undone the whole update and am now installing them one by one manually to see which update caused it.
Even 'microsoft fix it' didn't detect the problem. microsoft 'help and support' window also showed the same message and wouldn't open. So did the speech recognition reference card. So none of the microsoft services were working, i think.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:06:19 am »
Makes me think there is a file that mmc uses that is getting replaced or not updated correctly with one of those updates.

Let me know if you find out which updated causes it :wink:

Shane

Offline crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 04:56:39 am »
I am finally done with the updates and now the console seems to be working fine. I am supposing that the mass download and installation caused one of the updates to not get installed properly. and i didn't install the optional updates. may be they could have been the cause too.

And here i thought now that that's out of the way i can let out a sigh of relief, but guess not. Now the microsoft fix it said that one of the audio controllers could not run due to less resources , even the device manager showed an exclamation mark on that driver. so i uninstalled and re-installed that. the audio is good. no exclamation marks.

but the microsoft fix it and troubleshooting hardware and devices tool says that hardware changes cannot be detected and that windows is configured to not update drivers at all. I am aware of that as I just installed windows 7 home premium, sp1 and then all the latest drivers from the dell website for my model after performing an online system analysis. everything was fine before the update . I didn't know which hardware is causing this problem, as the device manager shows no exclamation mark on anything.

I finally got some useful information from windows action center which reported that usb controller driver is missing, but on the device manager, it is visible and shows working fine under properties. to make sure i even ran the relevant driver.exe file to repair it, but the message won't disappear.

On top of that, if i click fix it from the action center, it is taking me to dell driver page to download a driver that is not even compatible with my xps. is it safe to install it? or should i just leave it be?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:05:15 pm »
ignore the action center, those are not real time, but more of just posted logs or messages. Once you have fixed the problem there should be an option in the action center to archive or delete the message :-)

Shane

Offline crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:27:57 pm »
Oh ok. Thank you. that's a load off of my shoulder .
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:26:40 am by crimson »