Author Topic: XP, File and Folder Options menu issue  (Read 9968 times)

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
XP, File and Folder Options menu issue
« on: April 20, 2014, 05:10:20 pm »
Hi, I have an issue in Explorer where when I select a file in any folder and attempt to use the Print command from the File and Folder options pane it insists on moving the file instead of printing it.  All the others correctly link.  If I knew where to look in the registry, I expect I would be able to correctly link it.  As I must use XP SP3 for a bit longer, I would like to sort this out.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: XP, File and Folder Options menu issue
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:48:32 pm »
For txt files it would be under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\print\command

What type of files are you trying to use the print command on?

How the command normally works, I attached the command for txt and rtf files, is explorer simply sends the file to the correct program and the program has a command line option to tell it to print. So in this case it is actually notepad or wordpad that is doing the printing. :wink:

Shane

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:20:48 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.  It makes no difference what file type I wish to print...virtually all of them bring up the move options when the print this file is selected.  The context menu works fine, but for some reason the Print This File command in the File and Folder Options menu is linked to Move This File instead.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:35:54 am »
Can you get a screen shot of the right click menu? You said "Print This File" but I never see that as an option it is normally just "Print" So I want to see what you are seeing :-)

Shane

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 03:27:28 pm »
Shane,  As shown in the attachment, it is the in the File and Folder Tasks menu that the issue resides, not in the context menu.  I get the Move options screen when clicking on the Print File link in the File and Folder Tasks list on the left hand side of the window.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:17:47 am »
Perfect thats what i needed to see :-)

Ok I searched the registry and only found 1 location for the Print This File command. It is a command the points to shell32.dll -31250

As a test I changed the number around on there, killed explorer.exe and restarted it and sure enough the commands where swapped around.

So since that is where the command is and the ID number points to what command to run from the sehll32.dll then I woud check to make sure the correct number is on the print to file command :-)

Shane

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 12:58:59 pm »
Thanks for the reference!  Both 31249 and 31250 entries were simply missing in the sequential order.  I created them and rebooted, but to no avail...it still wants to move the file.  Odd, but as I am having no other issues, I won't fret about it.  I can always use the context menu, or print from the appropriate application...just found it strange. Absent any sort of systemic issues, it's not likely worth a lot of time to chase down in my case.  However, it might be nice to be able to repair these if they get badly messed up somehow.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:05:00 pm »
Those are the only references to it. If you like I can just export that who reg folder for you and you can export yours as a backup and then just import mine. You would want to delete yours first.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:43:57 am »
1. CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click File | New Task(run).
3. Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options

5. Under this key there will be subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely. They should not be listed under the Image File Execution.Options key.
6. Close the Registry Editor.
7. Restart the computer.

Assuming no other viruses / adware / spyware / malware are interfering, the Windows desktop should load fine now with fresh configurations.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:38:38 pm »
Thank you, Jraju!  However, no such entries exist there. I think I can live with the issue until I upgrade.  I just am one of those folks that wants to know what causes things...lol.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 08:05:15 pm »
Did you try to find them using regedit.
                            Probably these entries would be there. I have upgraded to win 7. I gave this solution, as it worked for my xp when i did use the version
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline best1syn2oil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 05:55:54 am »
Jraju,  I did check with the Registry Editor and neither of those entries were listed.  Not a major issue, I just have a natural curiosity about such things.