Author Topic: SOLVED: RE-INSTALLED and working like a champ after minor glitches  (Read 12227 times)

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
:cry: I've ran Tweaking.com successfully ( I think, nothing showing yet ) on several XP machines. I Goggled for the Win 8 one. Do not remember if is gave an Win 8 version, it might have just said Windows. But after running Tweaking.com All in One Repair my

Metro tiles won't work. Like Weather and Calendar.
Sound won't work.
Charms won't work.
Cobain back up can't make a Volume Shadow Copy
Old Restore Points won't work, including the one Tweaking.com All in One Repair made
I can't create new restore points.
I do not have access to my to devices on my network group

And trying to use restore to create or access an old point returns this:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and
settings were not changed.

Details:
A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered and unexpected error.
Cheick the Application event log for more information. (0x80042302)

Back to me. How can I get this back to where it was?  I just ran T.com yesterday and all this?  Not a newbie on PC's, I have have Pc's sincd 1987 and been on the www since 1996. Was there some sort of registry backup I made with Tweaking.com  AI1 Repair. I chose to do that too. Where's that and can it help me, how do I get to it?  Thanks!  ":-0  Jack
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:08:46 am by Jackdashack »

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
Re: After All In One Repair multiple things will not work on Win 8
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:40:35 am »
 :undecided: Replying to myself. I have found a way into the earlier restore points before tweaking.com all in one by using SAFE MODE. I appears it may be restoring to an earlier point I selected. I will update this by modifying this post.

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:57:59 am »
 :wink: It appears I undid the damage. I went into SAFE MODE, (use msconfig, it's easiest) opened the RESTORE POINT before Tweaking.com's RESTORE POINT and let it go. After that I opened msconfig again, unchecked SAFE MODE under BOOT. Checked APPLY then restarted. It seems all is well and working again. Apparently tweaking.com is not for this HP Pavilion on Win 8.1  On the XP's I have no problems at all that I can see. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:29:01 am »
The only time I have seen Windows 8 have trouble after running the repairs was because of COM+. Which in the newest version of WR 2.6.2 I added a repair for that as well :-)

The no sound fact and a few of the others sound just like that problem.

For some odd reason, and only on a very few number of Windows 8 machines (I run WR on Windows 8 all the time and havent had it happen to me yet) there is a bug in Windows where when you register certain dll files the unmarshlers registry key location gets wiped out. I helped a user who had these errors and I traced it down to that.

So with the reg section missing COM+ fails and so does everything else that depends on it. As soon as I put those reg keys back in everything started working perfectly again.

Which sounds like what happened to you, always do a registry backup with my program, when you did a restore the registry was put back and so where those keys. Did you use v2.6.2 and have the last repair checked as well? That new last repair will put the reg keys back in.

When I did research on those registry keys it is something new to only Windows 8, no version of windows before that used those registry keys.

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:59:20 am »
SHANE: thanks so much for this program. I hope I didn't sound too critical. I guess I still get too intense when something goes I'm not sure how or why. I don't know exactly what version I used since the restore registry took tweaking.com out, as if it had never been there. I'd have to see if I kept the exe file that installed it. Thanks for all that great info, understood most of it for the most point.

Jack ":-D  :cheesy:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No problem at all. I had only 3 people report what you did. The sound wasnt working, firewall and wmi and many other things. The system was just crippled. And I didnt understand why since I run it on Windows 8 all the time and never seen that problem.

So I connected to a user to digg into it and what I found was when I went to administrator tools and component services and then tried to view the COM+ applications you would get a access denied error. So COM+ was broke and I didnt know why because none of the repairs touch it.

Well i spent hours looking into it and trying everything. None of the online ways to fix com+ worked because turns out COM+ itself was fine. In the event viewer I started seeing tons of unmarshler entires. So I decided to lookup one of the IDs it was complaining about on my Windows 8.1 system and I found the registry key. When i checked for that registry location on the broken system it was completely gone!

None of my repairs at the time touched that registry key. So something with the other repairs, registering files or who knows what deleted the reg key location. So I exported it out on my system and imported it on his and the instant I did sound came back and everything was working and COM+ no longer gave a access denied error.

So I decided to add it as a repair. When I went and checked every version of Windows before that none of them have or use those registry keys. So when i tested and looked at it on my Windows 8.1 system those registry keys are normally locked down and nothing can delete or change them except for the system. Well my program runs some of the repairs as the system and so one of the files in Windows was able to wipe those registry keys. Something it shouldnt do but for some reason it does. And the odd thing is it doesnt happen on every version of Windows 8. Seems to only happen on very select machines, something different about those machines or the way they are installed, hard to tell.

But I cant have a bug in Windows making my WR look bad lol So I added the repair to the list, as long as the user runs that repair at the end of the list (Which is why it is at the end of the list so it is ran after all the other repairs) it will put those registry keys in there. I made sure it only runs on 8 so even if you select it on xp the program will just skip it :-)

Sorry for the long post, I wish I could have replied sooner so I could have had made sure you ran that repair and to make sure it fixed you up :-)

And besides I like to explain things lol

Shane
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:13:54 am by Shane »

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
Shane, I get the same thing, go overboard explaining too much and then folks get offended thinking I think they are dumb, when in reality I'm thinking I myself am not being clear. LOL

Anyway, it appears from a little investigation that I did use v2.6.2

Now is there something I didn't do completely when I did. I ran Chkdsk, and repaired if it called for it. Ran Malwarebytes, backed up and restored options, then clicked REPAIR and START.  Was there something else I should have done along the way?   :thinking:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Was the last repair clicked when you started the repairs it would be "Restore Windows 8 COM+ Unmarshalers"

Do you have the repair logs by any chance to see?

And IF you still have the computer in question I would love to test it. All we have to do is make sure we have a good registry backup before hand.

Because while I added the new "Restore Windows 8 COM+ Unmarshalers" I have it do it at the end of all the repairs. BUT if it isnt there after a reboot then that means it is something Windows is doing on the next boot that is wiping it out. Which if that is the case then running that repair again by itself would fix it. But if that is what is happening I need to update the repair to handle it after a reboot if the reg keys are being removed AFTER all the repairs are done. Remember I havent traced what it is in Windows that is removing those registry keys.

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
Where would those repair logs be? Would they have been wiped out in the RESORE? Give me directions to them.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It should be in the same folder as the program itself so it depends where you installed it and if they are still there. The repair log would at least tell me if you ran that repair or not :-)

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
Re: SOLVED: After All In One Repair multiple things will not work on Win 8
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:48:26 am »
I have found files and logs. I don't know how much help you need but as you gave a free program and are so helpful I'd try to help in kind by rerunning it, but want input all along not this back and forth on messages. If I click on report to moderator can I leave a number to call. Then you can walk me through. or NOT ... I'd just like to expedite the thing and help if I can.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 11:52:41 am »
You can shot me an email and we can use chat if you like. I dont normally give out my number since it is only my cell phone lol

my email is shane at tweaking.com

Basically what I want to do is first do a registry backup with my reg backup program. After that I want to run the repairs and reboot and see how it goes.

If the problems come back then I want to teamviewer into the computer so we can both look at it and I can see what is going on and then make changes to the repairs based on what I find :-)

I am in Oregon and I am just working on a program update right now so I have time. I also run a computer repair business and thankfully dont have any calls to go on to today  :wink:

Thats the side effect of being good at fixing computers. Your customers rarely call you lol

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 11:57:33 am »
UGH! Shane ... really not into all this back and forth and I wasn't asking for your number, I was going to give you mine. I thought you could press a (star)*(something) and temporarily block your number.  I surely am not after it. LOL I was just looking to expedite and if something was amiss you were right there to correct it. After this morning I'm still a little gun shy.

I'll send you the files that look interesting. If you want me to run what I did the other day ... well consider the call and blocking your number. I don't want to be left here with a pc not functioning, you get called off, (5 kids need a lot of attention LOL) and I'm hanging. So look for the files in the next few minutes. thanks  Jack

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:58:58 am »
Dont stress. Shot me an email and have your number in it :-)

Shane

Offline Jackdashack

• View Profile
REINSTALL WORKS GREAT! After All In One Repair multiple things ...
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 01:44:10 pm »
 :smiley: Thanks Shane again for the program and the generous time looking over my PC. Using Teamviewer Shane looked at many aspects of the new and old install and at this point it's hard to determine but it might have been a fluke. After running TWK.com again it performs flawlessy, everything works just as it should and I am thankful to have it back on this Windows 8.1 HP Pavilion PC.

Jack  ":-D