Author Topic: Restore points vanish  (Read 5998 times)

Offline jmcgoo

• View Profile
Restore points vanish
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:33:56 pm »
I create restore a point with Tweaking, or with Control Panel|sytem|restore and tomorrow it's
 gone.  What's going on here?  :sad: :sad: I set it up to create one every time a new program is installed.
It too vanishes.  I don't know where Tweaking stores its restore points.    I use Malabytes but it doesn't help.
Help.  When I first wrote this, there were two restore points.  Just checked; there are none.

Win 7, latest Tweaking

John McGinley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:32:26 pm by jmcgoo »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Restore points vanish
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:18:01 am »
Hi, there seems to be some kind of trojan root kit in your computer .
                 Download malware bytes from malware bytes.com update it and run. It will show if any present in the computer in the Show result button after scan. Remove all the things by selecting individually.
                Try to create restore points. If not solved, download Junk ware removal tools from thisusu by googling or download at bleeping computers.com. Run it . It runs in dos mode and fix most of the problematic programs,which could have been injected with your genuine downloads by some mischief sites.
                      If those does not solve , try sfc /scannow and if it runs 100%, check the system protected files integrity and then copy any files missing.
                              If not, better opt for repair windows
                                     As the last resort, reinstall windows. There is no separate download available for this, as far as i know.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Restore points vanish
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:06:11 am »
System restore is set to only hold so much data before it starts to remove old restore points to make room for new ones. I myself hate system restore, it takes to much out of the system. 90% of the problems in Windows are normally due to the registry so I just do registry backups instead. But thats just my choice lol

Are you able to go and create a restore point, reboot and then see if it is there? Are any listed at all or are they all gone?

Shane