Author Topic: CD/DVD is not deteced in Vista Dev Mgr (UNSOLVED, but not for not trying!!)  (Read 30282 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: CD/DVD is not deteced in Vista Dev Mgr
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 10:54:51 am »
I wonder if I should have you remove all of them and reboot. The cd rom isnt even showing up as a connected device to those when it should. And you did have it set to show hidden devices correct?

Also what is listed under "Other Devices"? And something that I havent actully seen on Windows device manager before, "DriverInterface" what is listed there?

Shane

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• "Retired USAF Civilian Engr"
    • View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 02:08:41 pm »
I went thru a couple of sequences to remove the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" w/o connected devices.  I finally uninstalled all the Channels (both ATA and IDE).  I physically removed (slid out of the notebook) the CD/DVD drive.  Upon rebooting an automatic drive installation began that resulted in one "ATA Channel 0" being added w/ a device connected.  I confirmed that this channel is for the internal HDD. 

I reinserted the CD/DVD drive which resulted a second "ATA Channel 1" being added indicating NO device connected.  I was able to repeat this result without a reboot (pull the DC/DVD drive, uninstall "ATA Channel 1", reinsert DC/DVD drive and then "ATA Channel 1" gets autoinstalled).

Should we be looking at the last controller "Standard Dual Channel PCIIDE Controller"?  It is the same "Device class guid", i.e. "{4d36e96a-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}".   

Nelson
HP Pavilion Notebook Users (Vista 32Bit SP2 & Win7 64bit SP1)

(about myself, wife and our 4-legged kids - see http://qrz.com/db/WB8VUU/)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 09:46:54 am »
What was under the "DriverInterface" section?

Shane

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 01:58:51 pm »
Ops!   There are two Logitech Driver Interfaces.  One is "Location 0 (Logitech Hid Filter)" and the other is "Location 0 (Logitech Mouse Filter)".

Nelson

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 02:16:46 pm »
OK try this. Download and install Clone Drive
http://static.slysoft.com/SetupVirtualCloneDrive.exe

This will install a virtual dvd drive, I use this when I mount iso files. But it will also add a entry in the device manager under cd/dvd drives.

Once you have it installed make sure you have it create a virtual dvd drive and then reboot and lets see if that shows up or even works.  :wink:

Shane

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 07:51:27 pm »
Installed the Cone Drive (see attached) and rebooted.  The "DVD/CD-ROM drives" line shows in Dev Mgr w/ "ELBY CLONEDRIVE ..." device under it and nothing else.  Interesteringly during the installation a CD-ROM device "briefly" showed up as the only device, then disappeared.  After that as the installed completed the device shown in the attachment appeared and remains.  Also, "HD DVD-ROM Drive (E:)" shows up in Windows Explorer under Computer.  I've inserted a CD and a DVD, but neither are recognized or readable. 

I've physically Removed & Reinserted the DVD drive unit with the computer up and running - no effect in DevMgr.  I then restarted the computer and removed the drive unit while it was powered down prior to rebooting. I reinserted the drive after rebooting (w/ DevMgr active) - no effect in DevMgr 

BTU.
Nelson

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 03:38:32 pm »
Interesteringly during the installation a CD-ROM device "briefly" showed up as the only device, then disappeared

That is what stands out. It showed up in the device manager then disappeared. The only time I have seen that happen is from the TDSS rootkit, on infected machines with it either the hard drives or the cd rom drive section is completely gone from the device manager.

I mean it was there, something removed it. I wonder if you got hit with something new, or if it isnt an infection, if it might be some other program or driver that is doing it.

We are 3 pages in on the forum, I cant remember, did I have you try combofix.exe yet?

Shane

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 05:54:21 pm »
I mean it was there, something removed it. I wonder if you got hit with something new, or if it isnt an infection, if it might be some other program or driver that is doing it.

Earlier {refer to the second paragraph of my initial post} I mention that had been using a Western Digital MyPassport Essential (MPE) USB backup drive that is used with the WD "Smartware" program (see attached UsrMan pg#8/physical pg13).  Those WD devices contain a "Virtual CD-ROM" that can be disable/enabled using a WD utility, but cannot be removed altogether.  I know for sure that my DVD/CD-ROM was working after both Vista rebuilds until I started using the WD MPE.  [Didn't realize it the first time, but looked for it the second time.]  I know for certain that while enabling or disabling the VCD I had my DVD/CD-ROM return to DevMgr.  But I haven't been able to replicate that result.

We are 3 pages in on the forum, I cant remember, did I have you try combofix.exe yet?

We have not tried "combofix.exe".  Also, I applogize for the delays in responding - we've been on the move these past few days.

FIX For Drive disappeara​nce issue on Vista & Win7 (XP Scenario 3 at the end)
‎01-26-201109:20 PM - edited ‎01-27-2011 11:21 PM

I have come up with this remedy for the drive letter disappearance issue after closely studying My Passport Essential which I own and it may work for you guys as well.

Shane would you check out this discussion thread on the "WD Community" forum.  Does this sound like it could be related?  I just happened accross it.  I didn't want to persue trying anything with a drive letter without your input.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/FIX-For-Drive-disappearance-issue-on-Vista-amp-Win7-XP-Scenario/m-p/125674

Nelson
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:09:07 pm by Buckeye_Ham »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 11:52:39 am »
Actually I was wondering if it was possible that some how part of the WD software that disables the cd drive is still on the system. That would explain everything and how after adding the virtual dvd drive it was removed from the device manager.

Try installing the WD software again about disabling the cd drive and have it enable it again and lets see what happens :-)

Shane

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 09:42:22 pm »
I've taken a series of Screen saves of DevMgr.  The "WD SmartWare Virtual CD Manager for Windows Web Release-v1.0.8.3" that enables/disables the Virtual CD (VCD) is a standalone ".exe" that apparently doesn't install itself (but take notice in #2 below of the WD Drive Mgmt device at the bottom of the DevMgr list).

1) The first screenshot [DevMgr (no WD MPE)] does not have the WD MyPassport Essential (MPE) USB drive plugged in. 
2) The next screenshot [DevMgr (+ WD MPE, VCD enabled)] has the MPE plugged in with the VCD already enabled.  There are devices under "Disk drives", "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and at the very botom, under "WD drive Management devices", the WD SES Device.  Note, in the properties shown, both devices under Disk and DVD/CD drives are associated with the "WD SES Device".
3) The next screenshot [DevMgr (+ WD MPE, VCD disabled, no PwrCycle)] is just after running the VCD Mgr witout power cycling the MPE.  Note all the MPE devices are removed.
4) The last screenshot [DevMgr (+ WD MPE, VCD disabled, PwrCycle)] is after unplugging and plugging the MPE back into the USB.  Missing from the devices is the just the DVD/CD-ROM device.

Going along with your suggestion above I think the next step might be to re-enable the VCD and then UNINSTALL, from DevMgr, each device.  The question to you is what should be the order of uninstalling those MPE associated devices?  That followed by a reboot to see what happens.

Nelson

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 10:57:49 am »
The virtual cd rom we put is still showing up in the device manager. And then you enable the WD its drive shows up but still no trace of the main cd rom drive.

In fact the cd rom drive doesnt even show up under the ide controllers as a connected device. Does the cd rom show up in the bios on the system?

Shane

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 08:33:34 pm »
Yes, the CD-ROM shows in the Configuration Utility and is "Enabled" in the Boot order.  As a reminder I have used the CD drive to reinstall Apps after the rebuilds.  What about "uninstalling" the pieces and parts of the WD device?

Nelson

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 12:39:05 pm »
I know you used the drive to install things before this happened but that doesn't mean it couldn't of gone bad.

But at the same time the timing of it all suggests the drive is fine, but I want to be 100% sure. Use any bootable cd you have and try to boot off the cd, if you can boot from the cd drive then I can at least not have to worry about the drive simply going bad  :wink:

And the only reason I say this is because the fact that we have the other 2 virtual dvd drives showing now but still not the real drive.

Anyway you can plug the drive into a different port on the motherboard as well?

Shane

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 03:46:18 pm »
I know you used the drive to install things before this happened but that doesn't mean it couldn't of gone bad.

But at the same time the timing of it all suggests the drive is fine, but I want to be 100% sure. Use any bootable cd you have and try to boot off the cd, if you can boot from the cd drive then I can at least not have to worry about the drive simply going bad 

I reordered the BIOS boot sequence to put the CD drive first.  The Notebook booted just fine from the original System Recovery Disk, loaded the OS, and brought up the System Recovery utility.  I canceled the System Recovery utility, rebooted & reset the BIOS to put the HDD 1st, before completing a full Restart.  Just for grins I checked DevMgr after a normal Restart from the HDD. 

LOOK AT WHAT SHOWED UP the internal DVD/CD drive is now there (see Attachment).  THIS IS JUST FREAKY!!!!!!!   Now I just hope it stays there the next time I restart.  Let know if there are any registry or screenshots you want.

Sorry for the delay getting back.  Our 4 lb. Tea Cup Poodle had shoulder surgery, so we've been tied up w/ caring for her.

Nelson
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:02:53 pm by Buckeye_Ham »

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 05:11:34 pm »
FOLLOW-UP

Did a Restart that included Power Cycling the Notebook (pulled external power & battery).  No change, the internal DVD/CD drive is still there.  See attached DevMgr for the 4 "ATA Channels".  NOTE: Both Channel 1s do not have attached devices.

What's next?  Uninstall the 2 Channel 1 controllers?

Nelson

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 09:22:57 pm »
Hi, bukye

Have your problem solved. Shane , what is the exact problem that the thread owner has. By seeing the De.mr.i could not find what the problem is . Please
Have you tried this fix
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:39:11 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 09:16:08 am »
Hi, bukye

Have your problem solved. Shane , what is the exact problem that the thread owner has. By seeing the De.mr.i could not find what the problem is . ...

jraju,

Take a look at my very first post.  It explains the problem of the missing internal DVD/CD-ROM drive.  As of right now the problem has cleared its self.  However, I would like to be sure that it not likely to happen again especially since the action, (booting from missing device) "accidentally" fixed the problem and was not expected to do that.  We were only out to prove that the CD device was actually working (which it does).

Nelson

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2014, 12:44:26 pm »
Ha! Good to see it is working :-)

I have an idea of what happened. I might be wrong but it does make sense at least lol

As you remember Windows didn't see the device and didn't even see it connected on the ide channels. Yet it did show in the bios. So Windows basically was saying the bios wasn't reporting anything on that channel.

It is possible that the setting in the bios where corrupt or not set right. When you went in and change the boot order and saved the settings the settings got saved again as they should be. There is software that can change settings in the bios, Windows can control irq settings and so on and you can update firmware from Windows, so it is possible that the WD software or Windows changed something and the bios settings simply got messed up and didn't report the drive as being connected. Soon as you saved the settings again it got overwritten and was proper again.

Now this is just an idea of how and why. It makes sense given the info we seen, that virtual drives showed up and the ide channel reported nothing connected, and that the ONLY thin you did was chnage boot order and save the settings. :wink:

Shane

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2014, 01:56:18 pm »
Now this is just an idea of how and why. It makes sense given the info we seen, that virtual drives showed up and the ide channel reported nothing connected, and that the ONLY thin[g] you did was chnage boot order and save the settings.

OK, this makes some sense.  I had done this (BIOS boot order change) once prior, which could account for when the drive returned the previous time.  But I cannot correlate the action and effect in my notes.

I'm wondering what, if anything, should be done with both "ATA Channel 1" controllers that do not have any devices connected.  Should they be left alone or "uninstalled"?  Any other clean up items you suggest, e.g. unistalling the Virtual Clone drive? 

Also, (unrelated to the CD ROM) Device Manager shows 29 "Generic Volume Shadow Copy" items under "Storage Volume Shadow Copies" when "hidden devices" are displayed.  Should there be so many and is there any impact in having that many?

TNX for working with me on this, its been an incredible help.  Hopefully all this will be useful for Windows Repair AIO and/or the "tips" that go with it. 

Nelson

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2014, 02:00:08 pm »
I'm wondering what, if anything, should be done with both "ATA Channel 1" controllers that do not have any devices connected.  Should they be left alone or "uninstalled"?  Any other clean up items you suggest, e.g. unistalling the Virtual Clone drive? 

Leave the ata channels, and if you dont need virtual clone drive go ahead and uninstall it :-)

Also, (unrelated to the CD ROM) Device Manager shows 29 "Generic Volume Shadow Copy" items under "Storage Volume Shadow Copies" when "hidden devices" are displayed.  Should there be so many and is there any impact in having that many?

Those are made when the VSS makes a volume snap shot, you can remove them and they dont hurt anything being there as well.

If your drive disappears again go change the boot order and save the settings again and see if it comes back. If it keeps happening then you either have software doing it or it is a bug in the bios, which checking for a bios update isnt a bad idea :-)

Shane

Offline Buckeye_Ham

• View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2014, 06:32:49 pm »
Well the CD-ROM has disappeared once again.  I reordered the BIOS boot sequence as I had done before, but it didn't work.  The notebook would not boot from the same Original Sys Recovery Disk I used before.  I'm so #$%^&* frustrated with this - I'm giving up (and the wife is grateful that I am).  I've looked at some of the HP forums and this problem seems to abound on HP products and others.  One guy has gone as far as "baking" mother boards to reflow the solder (suspicion being the GPU is involved).

I'm just going to buy an external USB CD/DVD/Blu-Ray RW drive and be done with it.  Any recommendations on manufacturers that will support CDs, DVD DL (8.5G) and BD (25G)?

TNX, Nelson

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2014, 09:01:53 am »
Maybe it is just the drive going bad, or its the motherboard, hard to tell without throwing in another drive.

I get all my parts on newegg.com so just look there and buy one based off of feedback.

I cant remember at this point if your computer is a tower or laptop, but if it is a tower this is the dvd drive I use in the new systems I build, it is a sata drive and it is only $20. So it wouldnt hurt to try it when you also get your external :-)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Shane