Author Topic: Is it possible to add support for "Windows cannot open prgram"?  (Read 10238 times)

Offline wolfpackfans

• View Profile
You tool is phenomenal and helped me resolve some problems I'm working on on my brother's PC (which was hit with many rootkits, malware, viruses, etc.).  One thing that lingers that I cannot seem to resolve is that I cannot be an antivirus program to run now because I keep getting a windows popup that says, "Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy.  For more information, open Event Viewer or contact your system administrator."  I've looked at the event viewer to see the error which gives me no clue of how to change the software restriction policy that is preventing  the exec from running.   Any clues? 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to add support for "Windows cannot open prgram"?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:54:52 pm »
Windows allows you to have registry keys to block certain file names and types. The viruses must have added those for all the known AVs.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457006.aspx

See what you have here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft
and here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

Shane

Offline wolfpackfans

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:47:11 am »
Thanks for your reply.  Here are the registry entries you requested:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft   name=default; type=REG_SZ; Data=(value not set)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft  name=default; type=REG_SZ; Data=(value not set)

If it helps, I was somewhat suspicious over Panda Cloud having some kind of lock out of other antivirus programs.  When I started working on this machine of my brother's, it was an absolulte "mess". The first thing I noticed was that his Panda Cloud antivirus was not running.  It appeared to have been uninstalled or corrupted.  However, all of it's services were still running and traces of it were everywhere in the registry.  But I could not uninstall it via the windows uninstaller because it was saying it was already uninstalled.  I disabled all it's services, and I could install a new antivirus but it would not run because of the error "Windows cannot open program".  So, I would uninstall those antivirus programs since they were useless anyway.   Interestingly enough, since I was somewhat suspicious of the "hold" that Panda Cloud might have on the machine, I found a brute force uninstaller on Panda's website, but even after that, I could not get a new virus program to run eventhough it would install.  So, I decided for giggles, I would try to reinstall Panda Cloud to see if it would run.  Sure enough it installed and will run.  I ran a scan using it, and it came up clean of viruses; however the machine is still sluggish after running a gazillion tools from bleepingcomputer including: rkill, JRT, adwcleaner, ccleaner, roguekiller, combofix, mbam, super antispyware, gmer, and your awesome windows repair tool.  If you have another recommendation, let me know or if the registry keys need to be tweaked, I can do that as well.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 08:53:15 am »
Did you try to use Microsoft security essentials?

Also try my simple system tweaker to see if it helps speeds things up, also install my free version of CleanMem from my other site to help with memory, and make sure to open msconfig and disable any services or startup times he doesn't need running at startup. Most of the time when a machine is slow it is because there is a ton of processes running. My system i try to keep it under 50 running if i can when the system is idle :-)

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/simple_system_tweaker.html

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

Shane

Offline wolfpackfans

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 03:41:05 pm »
Through your suggestions and the fact that I still found traces of AVG services running that I'm sure were bogging the system down, so I found an uninstall utility on their website as well.  All seems to be running pretty crisply now. 

When I ran another spyware scan, I still see doubleclick.net coming up, which I see on every pc I ever scan.  Any idea how to prevent that stupid malware from cropping up everywhere?

I do notice that it takes 30secs or more to launch a webbrowser, the CPU spikes to 100% and stays there for quite a while even with nothing being clicked while a lot of "transferring data messages" flash along the bottom of the browser while the page loads including a ton of what looks like adware.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:06:30 pm by wolfpackfans »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 11:23:19 pm »
Hi, wolfpack

Download this tool. Junkware removal tool from thisusu from this link.
                           As first measure, i would advise you to uninstall your antivirus program and install free avast antivirus from avast.com , update it and run the boot time scan available in scan.
                            It will ask you to restart the computer to enable this. It will find all rootkits trojan etc.
                               Secondly download antimalware bytes from malwarebytes.com and update and full scan your computer. It will guide to remove the trojan, malware etc. and it will mostly fix all the problems.
                        if these actions are not enough, then use this.
                         Pl run the tool and if it asks to give permission to continue , give the permission. It is a program run by command prompt and it will fix all popups and virus
http://thisisudax.org/
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 08:57:46 am »
doubleclick.net is a google company and has to do with ads, so you will see it pretty much on any system that looks at any webpages.

On the web browser taking a long time to load, which web browser? Normally when a browser is taking a long time to load it is because of  add ons, go in and remove any and all add ones that are not needed and it should increase the speed a ton :-)

Shane

Offline wolfpackfans

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 03:14:02 pm »
Thanks!  Initially I could not get Avast or AVG to run, but reinstalled panda because that was the only one that would run since it had been previously installed.  I am ripping it backout again and will try avast again.  I've run both malwarebytes and JRT a gazillion times already.  The trojans and malware that hit this pc are nasty!

Offline wolfpackfans

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 09:21:48 am »
Machine is coming up clean from Avast and malwarebytes, but CPU was still pegged at 100%.  I used msconfig and noticed that even after uninstalling panda cloud there were still two processes running, both of which were taking some cpu cycles.  I clicked them in msconfig and from windows services, I disabled them.  How do I get rid of panda cloud altogether?  Shameful that they provide no "uninstaller", their app is not showing up in windows installed apps, and their uninstaller still leaves some services running.  Panda also does not show up in revo uninstaller.  Infuriating when A/V companies make it nearly impossible to remove their software short of ripping entries out of the registry. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 06:07:39 pm »
Try their uninstaller program and see if it yanks it out :-)

The download for it is here
http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/support/card/?id=55509

Shane