Author Topic: Notepad appear on screen every time  (Read 20332 times)

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
Notepad appear on screen every time
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:08:38 am »
Just want you to know that is not a big problem but annoying to see the Notepad pop up every time when the computer start up. That was happened after I click to tweak " Simple Performance Boost " Is there a way to stop Notepad appear after the computer start up?? Let me know about this. Want you to know that I find a big difference with your program to boost the performance of my computer.

Thank you,

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Notepad appear on screen every time
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:16:45 am »
Notepad? Thats odd, the program doesn't touch notepad.

I have a feeling it is something simple :-)

First go to the start button, all programs and then the startup folder. What do you have in there?

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:29:29 pm »
OK here is the information that might help you to solve with the pop up Notepad on the screen after the computer startup.

On top of the line is PC SpeedUp -- Notepad on the left corner.

also few words in Notepad as well too.

Hope that will help you so you will know how to stop the Notepad pop up after the computer boot up.

Thank you,

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:31:53 am »
Looks like the file was made by www.pcspeedup.com

By why it got put in your startup I dont know.

All you need to do is remove it from startup. :wink:

You also never answered my question

"First go to the start button, all programs and then the startup folder. What do you have in there? (The startup folder)"

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 07:30:35 am »
I am sorry that I did not reply to your question. Anyway I did look up at your suggestion and it's not there. I am not sure where PC Speed Up come from but believe that is a part of Lenovo ThinkVantage. I did sent an e-mail to PC Speed Up and ask them about this and am waiting to hear from them now. When I get the reply and will post it here.

Thank you,

John

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 07:58:17 am »
If PC SpeedUp is not in your startup folder but is popping up at every boot, then PC SpeedUp is malware, virus, etc (big surprise right?).  I suggest giving your whole hard drive a thorough scan using a good antivirus program such as Microsoft Security Essentials.  Others may disagree with my advice, or choice of antivirus program.  However, they simply do not know what they are talking about (even though they think they do).  Everyone and their brother is a "PC tech".  :rolleyes:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:10:04 am »
"However, they simply do not know what they are talking about (even though they think they do)"

Well I guess I think I do, and I am a pc tech  :tongue:

I use to put MS security essentials on my customers machines. But MS has the slower scanner on the market so it caused programs to take up to 5 sec or more longer to open because you where waiting for it to scan.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

So I started putting the free Panda cloud Online and it has a better detect rate, same low false positives as MS and a faster scanner.

Malwarebytes is a good scanner to run as well.

But I dont think you have a virus. You emailed me the contents of the notepad and it wasn't a virus.

Go to start then run and put in msconfig

There check the startup tab and tell me what you have :-)
A screen shot of the tab might be even better.

Shane
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:09:30 am by Shane, Reason: I suck at spelling :-P »

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:01:52 am »
"But I dont think you have a virus. You emailed me the contents of the notepad and it was a virus."

Huh?  :thinking:

As for www.av-comparatives.org they last tested performance tested MSE in December of 2010 using version 1.0  :rolleyes: Hardly a reliable resource in October of 2011.  It flies right through a scan on my machine and uses hardly any resources at all.  It has saved me many many times on customer machines when other AVs have failed miserably.  I don't like the AVs that use cloud technology - too many things can go wrong and leave the machine wide open for infection.

"Well I guess I think I do, and I am a pc tech"

That was not aimed at anyone in particular, especially not you.  :wink:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:08:49 am by Shane »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:09:02 am »
"But I dont think you have a virus. You emailed me the contents of the notepad and it was a virus."

Huh?  :thinking:

As for www.av-comparatives.org they last tested performance tested MSE in December of 2010 using version 1.0  :rolleyes: Hardly a reliable resource in October of 2011.  It flies right through a scan on my machine and uses hardly any resources at all.  It has saved me many many times on customer machines when other AVs have failed miserably.  I don't like the AVs that use cloud technology - too many things can go wrong and leave the machine wide open for infection.

"Well I guess I think I do, and I am a pc tech"

That was not aimed at anyone in particular, especially not you.  :wink:

Bad spelling on my part, should say "wasn't" a virus. I need more coffee.

Take a look at the Aug 2011 results
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_od_aug2011.pdf

As for what AV to use it came down to a few things. I was using MS. But when it causes the system to slow down I had to dump it. I did a ton of test on it to confirm.
Avira went the toolbar route and I dumped them. Avast is bloated but has a fast scanner, and AVG is a joke (See false positive results)

In the Agu 2011 detection test they did MS had a 92.3 % rate while Panda had a 99.3% Both panda and MS only had 1 false positive. And panda had a faster scanner.

There hasn't been a SINGLE AV on a machine I didn't have to clean a virus off of. So I don't care which a customer users. I want it to stay out of the way, be free and not slow the system down. MS does all of this but the last. it does slow things down.

We are getting off topic here :-)

Shane

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 11:23:22 am »
I've only seen MS slow down old XP machines with 512MB of ram.  :cheesy:  If MS slows down any Win7 machine after installation, I guarantee you that that particular machine has already been compromised in some way, either viral or failing hardware.

Let's just agree to disagree on this because we could go on forever and you're right, we're getting way off topic here.  :smiley:

You know what they say about opinions right?  :cheesy:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 11:32:09 am »
I've only seen MS slow down old XP machines with 512MB of ram.  :cheesy:  If MS slows down any Win7 machine after installation, I guarantee you that that particular machine has already been compromised in some way, either viral or failing hardware.

Let's just agree to disagree on this because we could go on forever and you're right, we're getting way off topic here.  :smiley:

You know what they say about opinions right?  :cheesy:

Everyone has there likes :-)

Try this next time. Open task manager on a new windows 7 machine. Go open an exe that is a good size and watch the MS AV process max one of the cores and the program not open till it is done.

New machine for a customer (3.4 ghz 4 core, 8Gb ram, Mirrored WD enterprise drives), fresh install, not infected. They where opening a program that was 11 mb in size. Program took 11 secs to open. Watched the MS AV sit there and scan it then the program would open. Removed MS and the program opens in under 2 sec. Even with panda on it.

It was those types of things that made me dump it.

Just because something isn't working the best doesn't mean right off the bat that the machine is infected. :wink:

Im just damn picky. When almost everyone of my customers complained of the system being slow on opening programs compared to what it was before hehe.

Shane

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:52:53 am »
We install MS on all our customers machines, as well as new builds, and have never had one complaint.

"Just because something isn't working the best doesn't mean right off the bat that the machine is infected."

Not sure what you mean.

Yes, we are extremely picky as well - we don't want customers coming back to complain obviously.  I just have never had any problems at all with MSE.  We have found it to be the best protection available.

Just tested by opening a 22mb exe.  Opened instantly, no delay at all.  Not sure why you are seeing this.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 11:56:00 am »
Not sure as well. It wouldn't happen every time for him. Open it sometimes and it was fine, other times took forever.

MS was great otherwise. I just don't understand why MS would let their AV have the slowest scanner on the market. Oh well. So far Panda has done great and stopped the slow downs.

Anyways back to this topic LOL

Shane