Author Topic: Com port setting  (Read 6977 times)

Offline Karen

• View Profile
Com port setting
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:05:17 am »
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I have used the previous version without any problems. Few weeks ago, downloaded the latest version and ran it. I have a Virtual Box Virtual Machine set up on the desktop and after I ran the Windows repair, I can not get the Virtual Machine to open. It gives me a COM port error. In addition I also lose the USB port that I connect my camera from. Nikon D700 camera, I have to totally install the driver for the camera - PnP doesn't "see" it.

I noticed the newest version has three Windows 8 options automatically checked, one being for COM settings. I thought maybe that screwed it up. I did a system restore and tried the Windows repair again, without the three Windows 8 choices selected and I still had the above two problems.

I have also tried uninstalling/reinstallin Virtual Box after running the latest version and that does not correct the COM port error either. Only way to correct it i a system restore.

Any suggestions? Thanks and I do appreciate the program you have created.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Com port setting
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:59:38 am »
Well lets find out what is causing it so i can put in a fix for it :-)

First thing we need to do is find out if it is a permissions problem. Since we know system restore will fix it I want you to try the repairs again but skip the permissions (First 3 repairs).

Also if the Windows 8 repairs are checked and you are on windows 7 the program will skip those repairs :-)

Then after the repairs are ran and you reboot lets see if it still works good. If it does great, we know it is permissions related and then we can go from there :wink:

Shane

Offline Karen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 05:29:36 am »
OK, ran it with the 1st three unchecked and both Virtual Box and my camera are still working correctly.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:56:01 pm »
OK great, so it is permission related :-)

On monday the 7th I will be putting otu v2.8.0 of the Windows repair tool, and I changed the way it does permissions, one thing is it will no longer remove orphaned accounts, which I found was the cause of breaking windows 8 app stores since they use virtual accounts that show up as unknown account. So it is possible the virtual box does the same thing. So it will be a great test to see how it does with the new version :wink:

Shane

Offline Karen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:35:39 am »
Thanks, I'll give it a shot when you release it.