Author Topic: Reset Registry Permissions v2.8.0 Kills Win 8 Media Center - SOLVED  (Read 9461 times)

Offline Engineer

• View Profile
FYI:  On my Windows 8.1 (all updates installed) with Media Center, should I run Reset Registry Permissions v2.8.0, the Media Center will fail with the following Event Viewer details:

Faulting application name: ehshell.exe, version: 6.3.9600.16384, time stamp: 0x5215efc2
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17055, time stamp: 0x532954fb
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000005bf8
Faulting process id: 0x1224
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf9d3e0322517c
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehshell.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 43175ef6-0931-11e4-81e6-902b349ef1f4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

After a restore, all is well.  Running Reset Registry Permissions v2.7.5 does not cause this to occur.  Tested three times - always same results.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:43:23 pm by Engineer »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Reset Registry Permissions v2.8.0 Kills Win 8 Media Center
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:05:04 pm »
Excellent find. :cheesy:

The v2.8.0 restores the default permissions that are in a fresh install of Windows 8.1, looks like the media center changes those permissions, so all I need to do is trace down which registry keys are done and I will put a fix out :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 09:10:45 pm »
OK looks like I got it fixed.

When to took the default permissions from Windows 8 it was from a fresh install, nothing installed or added and every single windows update done. Well I had forgot to install the key for the media center.

So I updated the fresh install with the media center key, then ran all the latest updates from this last patch tues day plus any that might get installed with media center being back on. I then export out the default permissions again for a up to date list.

On my other test Windows 8.1 in vmware, I use it to purposely break things and then fix them. So I installed media center, ran the registry permissions and media center crashes just like you said.

I then copied over the updated default permissions, ran the registry repair again (Without restoring the registry from the last scan) and rebooted, A bang, Media Center is working :-)

So v2.8.1 will be released on Monday, July 14th 2014. Till then here are the updated files, if you dont mind testing and verifing for me  :cheesy:

Take these 3 files I posted and replace the ones in the folder with the program under "\files\permissions\8"

Once you replace those 3 with these go ahead and try the repair again and let me know the outcome :wink:

Shane

Offline Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:51:17 am »
Shane,

I again ran the original Reset Registry Permissions v2.8.0 and Windows Media Center failed.  I then copied your three files to the described directory and reran Reset Registry Permissions.  Windows Media Center is working again!

Looks like you have things working.  Now, if only Reset Registry Permissions v2.8.0 ran as fast as v2.7.5 ...  :wink:

Great job and thank you for all the useful utilities and support!  Now go play with the wife and kids ...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:43:30 pm »
v2.8.1 is released :-)

And on Windows 8 I no longer have it change all the permissions but instead it only sets the defaults.

During my testing I found another problem and how horrible 8 is with permissions. After changing the permissions and then setting themback to default, after you made a new user account and logged in none of the apps would work. You have to run the repair app store in my program to make it work.

So I dug in and found that even though "Heky_Current_User\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages" had the owner as system like it needs to be, that for some reason when creating a new user account Windows puts the owner as Administrators on that reg key folder. When the owner isnt system the apps refuse to install.

On my test machine I exported out all permissions, ran the permissions repair and had all the defaults put back and it still happened, even though everything was the same as before. So to stop that from happening I no longer change the permissions in the registry but instead only restore the defaults, and it then works perfect.

I checked everything, and I couldnt not trace why Windows was changing the owner on the regkey on a new user even though all the permissions where the same.

So restoring the defaults only seems to be the best answer. Not only does the defaults get put back but nothing else gets changed. With Windows 8 I had no option. They have a huge mess in the OS when it comes to permission, and I mean HUGE!

So the repair is faster now since it isnt doing the first part of changing the permissions first :-)

Shane

Offline Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 01:42:21 pm »
Shane;

I installed the Reset Registry Permissions v2.8.1 and again ran a series of tests - including Windows Media Center.  All things seem to work well!  It does run faster than v2.8.0, but I was getting spoiled with the v2.7.5 speed ...

I agree with Windows 8 being "horrible" - with more than just permissions ...   :wink:  I do have "high hopes" for Windows 9 (yes, I may live in a fantasy land).

Anyway, thank you for the efforts and I will continue to test, but will consider this issue solved.

Will