Author Topic: Envelope Printer  (Read 13185 times)

Offline George10

• View Profile
Envelope Printer
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:08 pm »
Just started using your Envelope Printer. Works good so far. My question involves printing to envelope sizes not shown in drop down menu. I use primarily a #10 envelope which is included but do not see 2 other common sizes I sometimes need. How do you print to envelope sizes not included?

Such as: (1) Personal Size envelope 3 5/8 x 6 1/2"  or (2)  #9 size 3.875 x 8.875".  Is there a way to create a template for missing sizes or are you limited to the sizes you have included or do you have plans to add missing sizes?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Envelope Printer
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:28:49 pm »
Just answered that here
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,2224.msg14366.html#msg14366

So as it says there, right now the program loads the supported paper sizes that the printer reports.

For me I just need to know the paper size for positioning the delivery address. So I am going to test on adding my own sizes and maybe let people add their own, do the math and then calculate the proper position, I am just curious if it will print out ok that way, I would think it would, I will do some tests.

But if it works well then it is nothing more than knowing the sizes, so adding extra sizes shouldn't be hard to do. I just haven't ever done it yet so I dont want to promise anything till i try :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:49:45 pm »
You know, the other paper sizes that the printer supports we dont really need, we just need envelope sizes, so if I can make this work with the printer without having to use its own sizes then I think I will no load the paper sizes from the printer and instead just list all the envelope sizes,

I dont know what all the sizes are so I looked for a list, does this list look complete to you?
http://www.leaderpaper.com/info/size_chart.php
or
http://resources.printhandbook.com/pages/paper-size-chart.php

Shane
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:43:13 pm by Shane »

Offline George10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:35:36 pm »
Yes. Those appear to be all the common and less common sizes. Certainly the common ones are listed there that are not included in program. If those could be added as listed somehow, that would be great for virtually anyone using it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:37:19 pm by George10 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:52:31 pm »
I am actually working on it now. So far I have a sizes.dat file which can be edited with notepad that holds the sizes and those show up in the list box.

So I have to test how things will work when I dont set the paper size to the printer but instead just set the x and y cords and see how it does. The real test is if the printer requires a paper size or not. Every printer is different so not sure.

One I have it done and tested on my hp laserjet I will post a build on here for you to try and test before I put out an update :wink:

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:16:20 pm »
OK here is v1.1.0 and is a test build, lets see how it does.

First off I had a heck of a time with this lol. I found out that I had to make a custom form and add it tot he system in order to set the sizes. Ok no problem found the code to do that. Test printed to bullzip pdf and they came out correct.

Then I go to print out to my hp laserjet 1020 and none of the custom sizes will work. Turns out the printer driver doesn't allow it. SO I now have the program list the supported options from the printer PLUS the custom ones from the file. That way people have an option in case their printer doesnt want to play nice lol

Unzip the file I attached and put the 2 files in the program folder and let me know what you think. :wink:

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 01:29:34 pm »
Any luck?

So as I know it works the way we want I will put out the new version :-)

Shane

Offline George10

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:08:20 pm »
Busy day away from pc. I will attempt to check tonight.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:10:52 pm »

Shane

Offline George10

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 02:26:11 pm »
I quickly added/replaced the 2 files you sent to folder.  79 envelope options now appear. I printed to the 2 size envelopes I mentioned above that were previously missing.  They now appear as Custom: (Envelope size). Both printed perfectly and quickly on my Canon MP490 Printer.  I don't know if there is any size envelope still missing in options but 79 seems like most are now covered. I also don't know if all printers will be so lucky.
Works great so far for me.

That would be the only question. How to add a size that may still be missing in the future, thou I doubt I will need to.

Thanks for quick response.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 02:34:12 pm »
You can edit the sizes.dat file in notepad and add any that you want :-)

My printer (Laserjet 1020) doesnt support custom sizes, unless I go to the printer properties and add it there. So I couldnt test it. So I have the program load all the paper sizes reported by the printer as before, I just label them Printer Supported and then the rest is loaded from the sizes.dat file. So now if a person has a printer that supports custom sizes they can use those, for people who cant use custom sizes, like myself, can use the printer supported ones.

Since the custom one worked for you then I think the program should be good to go. I will put out the new version later today or tomorrow. Thanks again for testing! :wink:

Shane

Offline George10

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:38:59 pm »
I just edited the 'sizes' file and see it would be easy to add any missing envelope size thou again, I think you have them all covered. I'm glad it works on Canon printers.

Maybe others will respond to let you know what type printers work and which don't, just for nice to know info.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 02:43:34 pm »
My laserjet 1020 is pretty old came out in 2007, it is amazing it still works lol

It all comes down to the drivers. In this case HP never updated the drivers to allow it, they make you have to go manually add it instead of using the form sizes that are on the system.

Most newer printers "should" be ok as there are so many programs that do custom size printing.

But at least having both options in the program will allow the user to have a way that works no matter what. As for me and this printer if I needed a custom size I would have to go manual added a custom one in the printer properties and then that new one shows up in the printer supported list in the program.

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »
V1.1.0 is released :-)

Shane

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 08:32:32 pm »
My laserjet 1020 is pretty old came out in 2007, it is amazing it still works lol

My Laserjet 4L came out in 1993, and yes it is my everyday printer.  I currently print approx 2,000 pages per month.  Getting harder to find MB's with real parallel ports on them.  The parallel to USB cables do not work anywhere near as well.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 08:57:54 pm »
My Laserjet 4L came out in 1993, and yes it is my everyday printer.  I currently print approx 2,000 pages per month.  Getting harder to find MB's with real parallel ports on them.  The parallel to USB cables do not work anywhere near as well.

I have a couple of customers with the same HP. They simply dont make them that good any more.

Shane