Author Topic: Removing Tweaking Software  (Read 12831 times)

Offline pdl

• View Profile
Removing Tweaking Software
« on: July 31, 2014, 05:37:29 am »
I have the following Tweaking software installed on two computers: Simple System Tweaker Version 2 and Windows Repair 2.8.2. I want to remove both of these applications from both computers. One of my PCs runs Vista and the other one Windows 7 (64 bit). I want to ask how to do this safely without affecting my PCs, especially as I know Simple System Tweaker has made changes to my PCs' settings. Which is the best option:

1. Use Window's own add/remove programmes function;
2. Use my own uninstall software: Revo Uninstaller 1.9.5.0 (the free version);
3. Use the uninstall function (if there is one) in the software that I want to remove;
4. Use an uninstall/clean-up app you have for the Tweaking software;
5. Some other method.

Thanks!

P.S. Once registered why is it so necessary to go through a verification process prior to posting a topic? If it's necessary why make the letters so difficult to read? I've tried three times now prior to writing this post script.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Tweaking Software
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:32:05 am »
Just uninstall the programs, thats it. If you used the simple system tweaker you can either restore the registry (If you did a registry backup with it first) or just uncheck all the tweaks and hit apply to put them all back to windows defaults.

The programs dont install anything other than what is in there folders. They are not big programs and dont install tons of files or change the system when you install them. Thats why I have portable versions for both. The installer installs the same portable version but it creates the shortcuts and a uninstaller for the user. nothing more :-)

P.S. Once registered why is it so necessary to go through a verification process prior to posting a topic? If it's necessary why make the letters so difficult to read? I've tried three times now prior to writing this post script.
Because of spam bots, and they still find a way through now and then. But when it is easier to read then the forum gets flooded with spam. Most people dont have a problem reading it and it is randomly generated. So if you mess up once it will make a new one which might be easier to read.

After you make your first post you dont have to worry about it any more. :wink:

Shane

Offline pdl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:57 am »
Thanks Shane

Just one point to clear up. I was having a problem with Windows Firewall in Windows 7. Every time I turned the PC off, or even just restarted, Firewall was turned off the next time I logged on. Tweaking Windows Repair (All in One) has fixed the problem. How likely is my problem to come back if I uninstall Tweaking Windows Repair?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 07:33:32 pm »
After running Windows Repair your Firewall should be running when you (re-)start your system. Even without Windows Repair on your system. If that's not the case then something else is meddling with the Firewall. But don't blame Windows Repair.

Offline pdl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:28:02 am »
I'm not, and I didn't, blame Windows Repair. I said that Windows Repair fixed my Firewall problem. I asked would removing Windows Repair from my computer unfix the problem? In other words if I remove the software that fixed the problem is the problem likely to come back? Is the Firewall still working because the software that fixed it is still on my PC and will removing the software mean that whatever initially caused the firewall not to work be able to stop it working again? Or will Windows Repair's fix stay in place even if Windows Repair is removed?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:09:53 am »
You can remove Windows Repair after you've repaired your system and got the Firewall running again. Then the Firewall should be running all the time, upon start up. If not, then someting is horribly wrong.

In other words, the Firewall running is not dependent on Windows Repair being present/installed on your system. Although I personally wouldn't remove it.

Offline pdl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:50:56 am »
I have no doubt that Windows Repair fixed my Firewall problem and I'm very grateful to it. I installed Windows Repair to both my PCs although I've not used it on the other one because there are no problems. I might keep it, I'm not sure yet. I've already removed Simple System Tweaker. I installed it on both PCs following a recommendation from another forum that I've always found reliable in solving PC problems. I found installing and using System Tweaker has made both PCs run sluggishly. Now I've removed it from both PCs are running just fine again. I'm a scientist so I know it's not the best evidence but it's fairly convincing that System Tweaker made my PCs function less optimally than they did prior to its installation.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:15:29 am »
- Simple System Tweaker (SST) is not a "Repair" tool like "Windows Repair" (WR). SST is intended to make your system faster with a number of safe "tweaks".
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:18:11 am by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 06:45:42 am »
You can remove the program :-)

The Windows repair fixes permissions, registers files and restore services. All part of windows, it isnt running in the background. So once it is done you can remove it and nothing gets changed :-)

The simple system tweaker is the same, it sets all registry tweaks. Once set you can uninstall the program. If you want to undo any of the tweaks you can have the program do it (Which means it updates the proper registry keys) or you can always do a registry restore. But other than that the program doesnt need to be installed or running for the tweaks to work. :cheesy:

Shane

Offline pdl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 07:01:06 am »
- Simple System Tweaker (SST) is not a "Repair" tool like "Windows Repair" (WR). SST is intended to make your system faster with a number of safe "tweaks".
That's the problem though: it didn't make my system faster.