Author Topic: Black screen after running v2.8.6  (Read 7721 times)

Offline Leggomyhuevo

• View Profile
Black screen after running v2.8.6
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:45:02 am »
Hello,
Even though I have been using tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All In One) for roughly a year and a half now I just registered a few minutes ago so that I can post about my issue today. Let me also start off by saying that this is the first time I have ever ran into this or any other problem using the All In One repair.

Earlier today I was decided to run v2.8.6 on my girlfriends computer (Windows 7 64 Bit) and everything ran smooth. No complaints with the time of duration or any freezing, everything was normal. Once it was complete I reboot the computer as instructed. During the boot it came to the log in screen and I entered the password and windows began to load. This is when I encountered a completely black screen with only the mouse cursor. I tried to open the run box using the windows key + r and also tried to bring up the start menu using the windows key but neither worked. I ended up resorting to the old ctrl + alt + delete trick and was able to shut down the computer normally using that method. When I started it up again I did not encounter that problem again, everything booted up normally and the computer is working perfect.

Afterwards I decided to run v2.8.6 on my own computer (also Windows 7 64 bit) and again, everything ran smooth with no complaints. A little longer than my girlfriends computer but I realized I had more steps than hers did. Mine totaled to 37 steps while hers totaled to 22 steps, so I see why mine took a little longer.

Again, once completed I rebooted the machine as instructed and again I ran into the same exact black screen problem during/after windows loads. I can see windows loading just fine, however once it gets past that the desktop is completely black. The background image wont load, nor the icons or taskbar. The only thing on the screen is the mouse cursor. So I attempted to try the same ctrl + alt + delete trick to shut down and reboot the computer but after 3 attempts and the problem continuing I finally decided to boot up using safe mode. This worked fine so I did a System Restore using the restore point I created right before running v2.8.6 and everything is back to normal. I am actually using my computer to type this message right now.

Has anyone ran into the same issue? This has never happened to me using any of the previous versions. Actually, I've never had any issue using any previous version on any of the multiple computers I've ran it on. This is what makes it weird to me that I ran into the same  problem twice in one day, and one more severe than the other. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!

Offline GraveDigger27

• View Profile
Re: Black screen after running v2.8.6
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:48:56 am »
Did you do the "clean boot"? - I followed the steps indicated and when I rebooted my Windows 7-based system to run the program I was stuck on a black screen (post Windows 7 splash screen but before the desktop).  All I could see is the mouse cursor and the keyboard didn't work.  After waiting for a while (actually several hours) to see if the operating system ever comes up, I used a previously made Windows 7 "Repair Disk" to use the system restore feature and go back to my configuration of August 15th (when I did my last system update...).  At that point I was able to get back to my windows desktop.  Note that I had previously used version 2.8.5 without any issue (and I did NOT try to do a "clean boot"...)

I suspect that the process of disabling so many services and programs caused the system to fail to complete the boot to the desktop and if I hadn't taken the time to make the Windows 7 repair disk I probably would've been hosed.  At best I would had to restore a older disk image of my system and at worse I would've to start from scratch.  I think this is a reminder to ALWAYS make a repair disk and have a backup of your critical system BEFORE you do ANYTHING that can affect your system so seriously...

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Black screen after running v2.8.6
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 03:08:30 pm »
If you did a clean boot it is very very important that when you disable the services that you put the check on hide microsoft services first. If you dont you end up disabling all the services and so nothing starts up.

As for the blank screen, I havent had it happen on any of the systems I have ran it on. You will get a blank screen if you did a clean boot but did it wrong and disabled all the services, but you would have done that before you even started the repairs.

When windows starts up and logs in it calls the userinit first, which processes the startup options and then loads explorer.exe. If you where able to bring up the task manager you could go to file and new and put in explorer.exe and you would have seen everything load.

Best thing to do would be to check the registry location for the userinit
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc939862.aspx

Which should be at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

My program doesnt do anything with that registry key, so check the regkey and let me know if it has anything other than "C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,"

Shane