Author Topic: Issue I've found with 2.8.7.  (Read 6585 times)

Offline mike.olson.ga

• View Profile
Issue I've found with 2.8.7.
« on: August 19, 2014, 07:21:14 am »
It seems like System Repair cannot get Administrator permissions so some of the repairs fail.  Setting the program to run as Administrator in compatibility settings fixes the issue.  Also the Proxy repair fails on Win 7 x64 and Win 8.1 x64 regardless of whether the run as Administrator setting is checked or not.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Issue I've found with 2.8.7.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:38:26 am »
The manifiest file with the program tells windows to run it as administrator, you shouldn't have to put it to run as administrator on the compatibility tab unless something is messed up with the UAC on the system.

I ran every single repair on both my windows 8.1 and windows 7 machines and they all ran through just fine, including the proxy repair. The proxy repair is nothing more than apply a reg file and doing 1 command which is all done from a bat file.

If it is failing when it says running under the system account then it would have to do with something blocking or getting in the the way of the tweaking_ras.exe in the files folder. That is used to run cmd.exe under the system account, so if something stops it then the repair doesnt even run. :wink:

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:50:46 pm »
Done!

I finished v2.8.8 BUT I need it tested before I release it tomorrow morning. So if you could try it out tonight and let me know by morning if you had any trouble with it. :cheesy:

If all goes well I will release it first thing tomorrow when I get in my office.

I posted the updated files here.
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,2308.msg15197.html#msg15197

Let me know how it goes :-)

Shane

Offline mike.olson.ga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 03:20:42 am »
Sorry I'm just now getting back to you.  BUSY week in my tech shop, which is actually kind of good for us both because I had the opportunity to try out 2.8.8 on 9 different computers with different versions of Windows.  After switching to 2.8.8, the issue I was facing is cleared up.  Great work and I really appreciate you maintaining this awesome piece of software, nay, work of art!  Thanks Shane!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 12:04:05 pm »
Good to hear it is working properly again for you :-)

I know this sounds odd, but this is a good thing that this happened since my update in 2.8.6.

Before the program never checked if a repair started properly or not. So if a repair didn't it just kept on going and no one would know if it had trouble running the repair or not.

Since v2.8.6, those situations finally started coming to light, at which point I could find the cause and make fixes for or add code to handle the variables that might of kept it from working. So it has made the program better since now I know the repairs are truly running like they should be :-)

Shane