Author Topic: Crippled PC:Solved  (Read 12068 times)

Offline Agent88

• View Profile
Crippled PC:Solved
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:19:59 pm »
I went on a week's vacation and when I returned, my PC showed issues, especially with IE11.  I attempted to uninstall/re-install IE11.... bad idea.  I have run into a myriad of problems ranging from Chkdsk telling me my file system was RAW, to reporting corrupted files unable to be fixed.  In typical Microsoft fashion, would not tell me which ones.  I finally did a Windows Repair from my original CD and got rid of the RAW issue, and ran Windows Update.  WU would not install IE11 which I had rolled back to IE9.  Found the prerequisites from MSFT but unable to uninstall IE9 (completely).  Ran SFC, Update Repair Tool (Hotfix), did a clean boot, tried SAFE mode, but now WU will not do anything but aggravate me (searches infinitely) and I have lost all Update history, etc.

SO... I stumbled upon your Repair tool and thought I would give it a try.  I meticulously followed your instructions to do a Clean Boot (disabled Avast) before running, however got one error when attempting to disable task scheduler.  Proceeding with installing Repair, got another error regarding compression failure, and then it errored out when attempting to reset file permissions. 

I copied the errors to a notepad doc which I am attaching.

My PC is a desktop I built several years ago using an Intel Executive MB (DQ45CB) with Intel Core2 Quad 9550 CPU and Seagate SATA HDDs.  Installed Win7 Pro(64bit)//Avast AV//MBAM//

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:21:03 pm by Agent88 »

Offline Agent88

• View Profile
I have spent many hours on this issue over the past week.  Today I invested a couple of  hours running the AIO Repair pgm.  I found most menu items ran (that I selected) with the exception of 02 (reset file permissions).  01, 03, 04, 07 14, and 16 seemed to run without a hitch.  17 (Repair Windows Update) showed a couple of errors ("Trusted Installer.exe not found", and "proxycfg.exe not recognized", both current user and system).  26(Restore Important Windows Services) produced a plethora of errors, but they all said the same: "not a valid reparse point".

BTW: I ran ComboFix to scan for viruses and it found none.

I gave up and went back to chasing Microsoft Troubleshooters.  With no resolution, looks like I am stuck in the mud.  No Windows Update and IE9.  When I try to install IE10 or 11, it wants to download required updates, but when I attempt to install them manually, they all report either not applicable to this PC or already installed.  IE9 setup reports not installed completely, but it seems to run OK.  I just can't uninstall it or update it.

I may very well install a distro of Linux.  My patience with Windows is about run out, and I  have been using Microsoft OS versions since DOS 1.0.  Windows 7 performed flawlessly for several years until just a week or so ago.  Even with all the issues with Microsoft in the past, I was always able to resolve them eventually.  This bugger has me stumped.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, How to uninstall and reinstall are given in this excellent link.
Please follow. The uninstall of program is given down in the page to the link. The installation is given in the top.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/282216-internet-explorer-10-install-uninstall-windows-7-a.html
                       Instead of version, try to install required version, given in the link
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
I would like to connect to you and take a look at why file permissions is failing.

That repair runs the tweaking_rati.exe from the files folder to run the repair as the trusted installer. If that exe failed or something kept it from working then the repair wouldnt even run.

I had one user whos antivirus was deleting the bat files before they could be ran, so once he disabled that he was good.

You are the 2nd person to report the file permissions not running, yet on all my test systems it has worked. So I want to connect and take a look and see if I can find out why it didnt run.

If you are up for it send me an email, shane at tweaking.com :wink:

Shane

Offline Agent88

• View Profile
jraju: I am a fairly savvy PC user.  I have already attempted to uninstall IE9, and IE10, to no avail.  Neither will my PC install IE10 or IE11.   My problems began with issues in IE11 which I have been using for over a year.  Not being able to resolve these issues, I decided to do a uninstall/reinstall.  Bad idea.  I was able to uninstall IE11, but that's when I ran into Windows Update issues and the inability to get updates or install any other version of IE.  Things are not working as they are supposed to on my crippled system. 

Shane:  I will gladly do this and thank you for taking the challenge.  One thing I will warn you:  It takes 30-60 seconds to get a response from any input before my system responds.  It ran like a rocket right after I ran the AIO the first time, but since then it has slowed to a crawl.

One other note:  During my troubleshooting of Windows 7, I recovered a previous install of Win7 and it was added to my Boot Manager.  I have chosen NOT to use that boot choice because it is dated 1-1-14.  I noticed that if I remove that choice from the boot manager, that it makes things worse, so when I restored msconfig to normal, it returned... so I left it there.  I saw a note somewhere that removing an earlier version of Win7 from the boot mgr will give it startup issues.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Shoot me an email, I have time now. I take the weekends off to spend time with the wife and kids. So now is a good time :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,
               This is from microsoft help
           If you try to reinstall Internet Explorer 11 after you recently uninstalled the program, the installation process may not be successful. This issue may occur because the system has not finished removing temporary setup files that are required for the initial installation of the program. If this issue occurs, we recommend that you wait 20 minutes before you try to reinstall Internet Explorer 11.

Offline Agent88

• View Profile
@jraju:  Yes, I saw this notice... but it is not the issue on my system.  There were several days between first uninstalling IE11 and the attempt to re-install.  But thanks for your input.

@Shane:  Thanks so much for your help.

Folks, Shane spent several hours troubleshooting my system and the result was finding my HDDs starting to fail.  Some had hundreds of re-allocated bad sectors, and were showing lag times between read and write... which more than likely accounted for the corrupt files producing errors.  His AIO program quit when presented with an empty file that should have had important data (we are not quite sure why this file was empty, but Shane will find out, of this I am sure).

Bottom line:  If it weren't for the AIO program, I would not have discovered my impending crash.  I now have time to install new drives and save my data before the BSOD rears its ugly head.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, I very much doubt that it shows empty, even when it has data, because of file system errors. Normally your file system is ntfs . If there is corruption in it, it cannot scan. Shane, am I correct?. Indirectly it means that your file system got corrupted in its file structure. If this is the error, then this link may help
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Ntfs-Error

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi, I very much doubt that it shows empty, even when it has data, because of file system errors. Normally your file system is ntfs . If there is corruption in it, it cannot scan. Shane, am I correct?. Indirectly it means that your file system got corrupted in its file structure. If this is the error, then this link may help
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Ntfs-Error

Not in this case. The manifest file that was keeping the repair from running was still the same size as it should be but everything in the file was just blank spaces. This is because the file had been on a bad sector and now no longer was but the file info was lost. I copied the text over and saved it and it saved fine and started working.

It wasn't a bad file structure, it was actual bad hardware and bad sectors. If it was bad file structure I wouldnt have been able to save the file with the new data.

Shane

Offline Agent88

• View Profile
Re: Crippled PC:Solved
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 09:28:33 pm »
Shane,  I yanked all HDDs and installed 2 freshly formatted Seagate 1TB drives, set up Intel RAID 1 and did a clean install (Full) of Windows 7 Pro.

After I finished installing 160 Windows Updates and was satisfied everything was running properly, AND BEFORE I LOADED ANY PROGRAMS OTHER THAN MSE, MBAM, AND TWEAKING.COM AIO, I ran your program with everything de-selected but a request to Clean Temp Files.  Went OK.  THEN, I did a request to Repair Windows Update (even though it was running fine... no problems) and got the same error as before:  TrustedInstaller.exe not found.  (edit: Ran Windows Update again, and it ran OK.  Matter of fact found 15 more new updates)

Just so you know.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:30:38 pm by Agent88 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Crippled PC:Solved
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 08:55:07 am »
TrustedInstaller.exe not found.  (edit: Ran Windows Update again, and it ran OK.  Matter of fact found 15 more new updates)

This is why seeing a screen shot of the error you see is important lol

You can ignore that error. One of the commands when repairing windows updates is to kill the trustedinstaller.exe from running so that it releases its hold on some files. So the command is taskkill. When it ran trustedinstaller simply wasnt running so you get an error it wasnt found.

Totally normal and you can ignore it :-)

Shane