Author Topic: Running Windows Repair (All in One) on Win10 pre-release  (Read 8145 times)

Offline MarkW

• View Profile
Running Windows Repair (All in One) on Win10 pre-release
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:10:34 pm »
Hi Shane,

Other than some basic looking around, one of the first things I did on the Windows 10 pre-release was run Running Windows Repair (All in One) v2.92, for the fun of it.
I seems to have worked well, but the O/S version in the results windows of Windows Repair was listed as 6.3.9600  instead of what running 'ver' at the command prompt which showed: 6.4.9841.
I wouldn't run it on my main computer since it is a pre-release, but I did install and run it on a virtual workstation.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download?ocid=tp_site_downloadpage

From what I initially see Windows 10 is really just a service pack release to Windows 8, though there are some productivity improvements.  Many of the improvements were the ones we were all calling for.

I have attached the logs for that first run, in case any of it could be of value to you.

Mark

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Running Windows Repair (All in One) on Win10 pre-release
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 05:25:38 pm »
I think you mean Windows 9, not 10 :-)

Unless they went and changed it and I didnt know lol

The version info doesnt surprise me. A lot of the APIs and such in pre releases dont work properly yet. My program calls a windows API to report the current windows version, and what ever that api reports is what the program gets.

But it is also possible that the program isnt getting the right version yet because the api and the manifest file.

Read this here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn302074%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

If you open the "Repair_Windows.exe.manifest" file in note pad and scroll to the bottom you will see I have the proper
           <!-- Windows 8.1 -->
           <supportedOS Id="{1f676c76-80e1-4239-95bb-83d0f6d0da78}"/>

added to it in order to have the api show 8.1 as 6.3 and NOT 6.2. Most likly they did the same thing with 9 and I have to add another ID there to have the api report 6.4 :wink:

But WR wont support windows 9 till it is released. Then once it is released I can grab the permissions and registry keys from it. Most likly most will be the same as 8.1 but I am sure there will be differences.

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 05:29:51 pm »
Holy crap they did change it to Windows 10 LOL

Looks like that happened yesterday, see what happens when you dont keep up on this stuff? lol

Also I found a fix to have it show 6.4, I just have to add this to the manifest file :-)

<!-- Windows 10 -->
 <supportedOS Id="{8e0f7a12-bfb3-4fe8-b9a5-48fd50a15a9a}"/>

And it will make the api report the right version.

I will get it added now so I dont forget and I will add it to all the programs.

Shane

Offline MarkW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:11:56 pm »
 :artist:
Shane, your responses were definitely worth bringing it to your attention.  lol  My first impression is that Microsoft is trying to do a fake-out to the general Windows using community and make everyone think it is an entirely different operating system than Win 8 is.  (Trying to hide their shame.)
The number 10 was a surprise to me as well.  Microsoft must still be feeling the sting from Vista.  I had read the same articles that you had about naming the next release as v8.x or 9.  They were talking about making it free, at some level, as well.  Maybe they needed to go to 10 to dispel that idea. To me it truly looks like a more viable Windows 8.x than a new version of Windows.

I know your tools can't really support the new O/S until it's final incarnation is released.  No problem.  I thought you'd enjoy the heads-up and looking through the logs from running the Windows Repair app on it.  I had nothing to lose but time.  I was glad that I was able to note a couple things for you.  Since the download and licensing for the pre-release is free, I can re-image that virtual machine at will, or with VMware just create a recovery point.

When MS were releasing Windows 8 workstation / Windows 2012 server, articles kept referring to 8 or 2012 as the server version, interchangeably.  It was annoying.  Almost as annoying as Microsoft Press 'NOT' providing self-training kit set of books.  I do far better learning a new operating system by reading and then doing exercises to experience the product more closely and become conversant with it. 
I have not read far enough yet to say that all versions of the next release will officially be known as Windows 10 or not.

I firmly believe that server administrators need a different interface than a desktop user does.  And that most home users need a simpler interface than a employee at a company does for the work they do on the computer.  A smartphone is in no way the same as a network managed domain or database server.  I don't know how much MS has come to grips with that realization for this next Windows release.  My guess is : probably not enough.  But, so far my experience with the Win10 pre-release has been better than my time with Windows 8 (or 2012).  They have done quite a few things with the interface better this time. The initial discoveries are the most challenging: what did they do with the Control Panel shortcut?  Why don't I see my loaded CD drive from explorer? How could I add a silly 'Metro' block next to the Menu and so on.  (They are easy to delete.)
Their default color-schemes are a little scary: pastels. 

Time will tell.  The article states that they don't plan to release a final version until later next year.
Let me know if there is anything you'd like your software users to keep an eye out for, with this latest version of Windows as it matures over the next year.  If any other big thing jumps out at me while using it, I will pass it on to you.

Mark

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 06:19:37 pm »
From what I read it is due out fall 2015, so a year from now.

I went ahead and added the id to the manifest file for every single manifest file I had for my programs, that way it is done and out of the way :-)

I know when I tested earlier versions of windows before their release there was always bugs in the APIs or some APIs simply not working at all because they had not been implemented yet.

The instant the RTM of Windows 10 comes out I will load it up and start grabbing the services and permissions like I do on the other versions of windows and have support for it added to the WR very quickly.

But for now looks like I dont have to worry about that for a year lol.

All my programs are done in old school VB6, so good to hear my program had no trouble running on 10.

I was curious to the name change, I think this hit it on the head.

"A better question to ask now, though, is: Why did Microsoft call it Windows 10 specifically, and not something else? During the unveil event (video embedded above) Myerson gives us a few clues. Starting at around the 2:10 mark, he says: “We know, based on the product that’s coming, and just how different our approach will be overall, it wouldn’t be right to call it Windows 9.” He then talks about how Windows One would make sense with Xbox One, OneDrive, and OneNote, “but unfortunately Windows 1 has been done by the giants that came before us.” And so it seems the only other viable option was Windows 10.

Read: Windows 10: Familiarity breeds contempt

Microsoft’s seemingly arbitrary choice of Windows 10 is an interesting one. It is clearly a strong version number — and it’s also a neat way of distancing it from Windows 8, which Microsoft really wants to brush under the carpet. In fact, this might even be the same trick that Microsoft used to make us forget about Vista: “With a name like Windows 7, it must be very different from Vista…”"

I am currently putting all my time into the WR - Toolbox I am making and still have a ton of work ahead of me :-)

So for now, Windows 10 looks a hell of a lot better than 8, curious what the finished product will be like, till next year though I am not going to worry about it until I have to start actually fixing that version of windows lol

Shane