Author Topic: I could not record song in Audacity.  (Read 25658 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
I could not record song in Audacity.
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:18:28 am »
Hi, I am trying to record a song in Audacity. My sound plays well in the speakers, but when i try to connect a mike for recording, then there is no sound or any activity. If i go to the Hard ware and sound section and then check record tab, a mike is shown, but in the right there is no effect, if i read anything in to the mike. Literally my mike is not playing any sound. Other things, like playing video and audio, there is no problem. It is playing correctly How to check the mike in any other way. Please give solution to
Windows 7 OS
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: I could not record song in Audacity.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 09:00:32 am »
Hi jraju,

Did n't you have this problem before? http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,1138.msg7618.html#msg7618

Do you have the microphone selected as the input source from the dropdown menu? Have you tried increasing the record level for the microphone? By moving the slider control to the right, next to the mic icon.

Samson.

Edit: Added a screenshot.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:37:49 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 04:03:50 am »
Once formatted, I lost all the thing. I will try again. Its driver is 100 mb and my computer speed is low. I will try and post in my next reply
 Now when i plugged it auto detects the microsoft drivers for win 7 and i have no problem in other playbacks.
                 Would it not do any wrong, when i install realtek audio drivers for win 7 along with microsoft drivers. Pl
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:16:03 am by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 05:24:23 am »
Hi Jraju,

I don't see that the driver file size will affect your speed. When you had this problem before the Realtek driver sorted it. So I see no reason not to go for the same solution again. I do not know enough about drivers or Win 7 to really help, maybe wait for Shane's input?
But if you need any help with Audacity just ask  :wink:

Samson.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:26:48 am »
Hi, The problem is when i installed the realtek drivers, i got the warning to install the drivers from only reliable sources. I proceeded with the download and it asked me to restart. While restarting, it stays on welcome and not moved forward even after half an hour.
                          I tried to reboot but the same problem. Then i resorted to F8 and chosen command prompt and then rstrui.exe, and tried to restore. It could not restore, but some how, i got the normal windows back. So , I am posting . Should I have to uninstall the audio drivers that already I have. I did not find the realtek drivers. I checked with the properties in the mike icon in windows 7

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 11:22:18 am »
Hi jraju,

Probably best to wait until Shane can give you his expert advice  :wink:

Samson.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 12:20:27 am »
Thanks samson,
                           But could you advise on the connection of Headset mic with the computer. I already have 3 plug holder. one in pink one in green and one in light blue. The speaker is connected to the centre that is green. How to connect the Headset microphone. One in Pink and Another in light blue. Is this correct. Pl

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 03:39:20 am »
If you only have those 3 connectors, then you will have to remove the speakers from the green socket and put the headphones in there and then swap them back when you want to use your speakers. Yes, the pink is for your microphone.

1 Microphone.
2 Line Out.
3 Line In.

What driver have you been trying to install? The Realtek High Definition Audio or AC'97? If those are your only audio connectors, then I do not think the HD drivers are appropriate, you may require the AC'97, here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/realtek_ac97_drivers_for_vista_windows_7.html or the HD drivers are here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/realtek_high_definition_audio_for_vistawin_7win_8.html

But wait until Shane confirms which you need  :wink:

In the meantime, run Shane's Hardware Identify program to see exactly what Audio Device that you have.
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/tweaking_com_hardware_identify.html

Edit: Added attachment.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 06:14:12 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 07:31:49 pm »
Hi, Samson
                     Excellent model answer with sweet and neat explanation.
                      Yes, I have only 3 pins as shown in your diag. Head phone has a mike. Head phone has two plugs one red and the other Black.
                        I plugged headphone pink to pcs pink and in Green, i plugged the speaker, and in the blue, the black plug of Head phone socket. Is that not correct?
                              When i tried changing the speaker plug to the Blue, I could not hear any playback.
                                   Could i record with Head Phone, with speakers attached? pl
Update answer:  When i uninstall and reboot after the alert, the computer again install the microsoft HD audio drivers automatically. I will try your link to download and test
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:51:10 pm by jraju »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 07:58:06 pm »
Hi, Please see this information from Shanes hardware information tool

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 10:40:53 pm »
Hi jraju,

You can only hear sound if you have either speakers or headphones plugged into the green output socket. You are correct, the microphone goes in the pink socket. The blue socket is for input (ie an auxillary device, such as a CD player, cassette player etc) NOT a microphone.

You could just plug the mic in pink, the speakers in green and leave the black (headphones) unplugged. That way you should be able to record using the microphone and hear through the speakers.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:22:02 am »
Hi, Please see this
                    Windows is informing that Pink is in front portion of the computer and say it is in working condition. But I do not have any jack on the front. I only have 3 jacks at the back as per your diag.
Update: i tried the drivers on the page , something is not allowing even when i click allow in the window alerts. Why it is so? It says that the download program  signature could not be verified. Even when i select continue, it pops up the same message.
                     Moreover, if i uninstall Microsoft sound drivers, and reboot, after reboot, the audio drivers of msoft is detected and updated . The realtek drivers have no part in the audio system.
                        I tried intel auto update, but there is no support for this version in their site.
                           How to test the mike, (only bought yesterday with windows.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:32:09 am by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 01:07:50 am »
Hi jraju,

Don't know anything about recording but do about Google  :smiley: and found this trouble shooter supplied by Dell but generic to Windows you could try, if applicable to your Win version http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/266424/%7Bdoclang%7D

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 02:22:58 am »
HI, Thanks Boggins,
                       I tried dell trouble shooter. It found no issue and hence i do not know. By the by, the sound record if opens show a little greenish start point, and when i click record, no movement but saves it as wma.If i play that there is no sound
Update answer:
                   Now I have two audio drivers, realtek and microsoft HD
                      Realtek correctly shows the connection type and position front or rear.
                       But realtek icon when double clicked just do nothing, unlike Microsoft HD, which pops up the sound meter
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:59:29 am by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 03:13:14 am »
I don't know what that trouble shooter checks as I didn't run it, but I've recently came across these Fixits which resolved a music CD problem for me http://www.free-codecs.com/Microsoft_Fix_It_download.htm

The WMP edition found and corrected a corrupt Library among other things and now that CD plays fine.

As yours could also be WMP related they may be worth a try.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 03:29:26 am »
Hi, Microsoft update forces to install the update and Realtek ultimately vanishes from the list.
                      Mike alone is not working. Msoft driver shows mic as connected to the front jack. There is no jack in my computer at front. Realtek drivers have compatibility issues.
                             Other playback is ok.
                                Having xp machine before migrating to win 7, and win 7 auto updates the drivers thro, detect hardware. That is the problem. I once faced and i found the solution. But now the solution just evading me and avoiding me. if it is found, then i may record a song with Audacity.Samson and Boggins , sincere thanks to your efforts in solving.
                                By the by, how to test the mike in real terms.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 03:46:11 am »
Have you switched it on  :smiley:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 03:52:43 am »
Yes, I mean the mike and also settings in audacity, which is automatic

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 05:08:32 am »

By the by, how to test the mike in real terms.

Try here: www.dummies.com/how-to/content/test-the-microphone-on-your-windows-pc.html

You don't need to set up voice recognition, but the troubleshooting steps should determine the working status of your microphone and PC.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 05:18:06 am »
Hi, I tried those already.
           The problem is that the mike is shown in front jack plug. I do not have anything like that. Please see the jpg i posted in this regard.
                 The Realtek audio drivers are installed, but no effect. Only microsoft drivers are working.
                  How to find the front jack in hardware. I have only two pendrive plugs

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 05:51:47 am »
Have you tried to disable the front jack that you don't have? this may force it to use your rear jack. What happened when you tried to test the mic following the guide that I linked to? Anything?  Got to get back to work now, lunch break over, but I'll be back this evening.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 07:06:43 pm »
How to do to disable the front jack. There is no jack actually present in my computer at front.How to identify to disable it. I tried trouble shooter and the msoft page goes to solution to the Realtek drivers especially for windows vista and win7. But i could install with admin previlige, but it does not work. Immediately i get a pop to update the drivers, and msoft drivers are again installed saying that mike is plugged in the front jack. I have thoroughly searched for any jack open in the front, But i could not find. Then how to disable? Is there any way to do that.
                                When i only plug mike of headphone and speakers, leaving the other blue jack open, the playback tab have shown speakers and headphone as playback. Recording tab shows mike, as desktop, and in the properties, if i go and check, it shows, headphone connection, but at the front pink jack.
                                Realtek drivers for win 7 given in the link though installed, failed to show sound meter bar if i double click. I had two audio drivers, device manager shows only one Realtek, and the Msoft sound icon only works. Peculiar is not it? As solution giver, i give this details

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 03:55:02 am »
If it is any consolation to you, it seems that you are not alone in having trouble with Realtek audio and an upgrade to Win7. There seem to be conflicts with Microsoft UAA Bus driver for High definition audio, which prevent the Realtek driver install. I am at the limit of my knowledge here my friend. Give it a little while and Shane may be able to give you advice to sort this.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:06:18 am by Samson »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 08:56:22 am »
I am back :-)

In the hardware info tool, double click on the high definition audio device to see what other names it normally has and that will tell me what drivers. I know on my system I have to have the realtek drivers installed because it has a auto detect feature when a mic is plugged into a port and I tell it which port to use for it.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 08:08:39 pm »
Hi, Shane, You are correct . The Microsoft sound drivers are only for limited purpose of audio. Realteak drivers, as Samson says, are not easy to install. When i clicked Intel site, (Mother board supported audio drivers, or vendor drivers), i came to know that it is not supported. I went to the Realtek and downloaded their exe file for Win 7. It could not be installed as it has compatibility issues. When i inserted my old cd that came with the assembled Pc, it reports that i do not have intel mother board. But when i downloaded the offline identifier from Intel, it shows all the specifications of intel mother board. Hell to Intel Support.
                           Realtek audio drivers from their site are not compatible to win 7.
                           It has taken me about7 hours for selecting the correct drivers. If realtek knows that it is not working in Win, they should have deleted the Windows 7 support words from their site. When i installed using Admin rights, it shows "the audio drivers for yours system is not in this package" Funny,
                              Then i get to this link to download a large 221 mb drivers and my problem solved.
                                  As a precaution, i first unplugged the pc and then power on for 20 seconds to clear the power. And then i removed the cmos battery and pressed the power switch to clear anything in bios.
Then installed the driver from this link and bingo, i had installed the Realtek Audio drivers. Now the mike is shown and it is shown in rear of the computer . I tested the mike in windows sound recorder in Realtek sound icon.
                                 Regarding audacity recording, i want to hear from Samson or you to how to set up the settings.
                                 Now i have two sound icons , one msoft and one realtek and i use the Realtek for adjustments now. Device manager only show Realtek audio drivers. the link is
http://www.filecluster.com/Drivers/Sound-Cards/Download-Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-for-Vista.html
Excellent free download site with out any adds on as for as i know