Author Topic: Repair help!  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Abort

• View Profile
Repair help!
« on: November 02, 2014, 07:46:55 am »
Alright so my computer is windows 8.1, but I performed a reset and it took me back to 8.0 (which I don't like) and it is making me unable to go back up. I went to Microsoft and the person downloaded and launched Tweakings repair guide and told me let it finish itll be only 1-2 hours. So I did. I decided to go work out in the process, meanwhile the repair was on 1 hour 53 minutes and it was 35/37 Windows 8 Component Store, it went to sleep, (screensaver) like 3 times and I woke it up each tie. Then I came back and put the sleep mode to never. Then it was on its 3rd hour still on the same Store.. when I looked for help they told me to be patient and it might take a while before it it finishes depending on how many programs I have (although it was a fresh system?) So I was like whatever and just went to sleep with the screen being awake all night. Well now its on its 13th hour? still on component store.

All of that is probably useless information but I wanted to give you guys the story so you know whats happening?
The program seems to be running fine,Memory used is at 1.27 and going up and down, and the cpu usage is shifting a lot to. Drive Write is going from 0 to 11.63 - 23.43, Drive Read stays at 0 Byte/s. When I try to scroll up and down on the left side with all the things to repair, it wont let me.

- 29 repair Windows 8 Component Store
-30 repair restore windows 8 com+ unmarshalers
- 31 restore windows 8 'new' submenu

That's all that's left to do.. Can anyone help?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Repair help!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:30:59 am »
It isnt the program itself that is taking so long, it is Windows and the dism command that the repair calls.

The component store repair calls these 2 commands

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

And for some reason it seems to be how MS wrote that tool. I ran it on my test system for the first time and it only took a few mins. I then run the command again after a reboot and the repair took 3 hours! How on earth would that tool take 5 mins the first time and 3 hours the next? But the dism is a built in windows tool and MS doesnt give mush info on it and it gives no progress what so ever, so the only thing you can do is wait. I am hoping they fix that tool to be better than what it is.

Shane