Author Topic: Black screen when booting in safe mode and doing a clean boot  (Read 12492 times)

Offline DJDaren

• View Profile
Black screen when booting in safe mode and doing a clean boot
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:21:19 pm »
Hi there, I've searched online and on my laptop manufacturer's website and cannot find any answer for this and since this is a problem I am facing doing one of the steps so that I can run the All Repair Tool.   So any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Whenever I boot into safe mode with networking, so that I can run the Windows All In One Repair, after my splash screen my screen goes black and i have a curser and in all four corners, whenever i move the curser it says safe mode, the only way to get out of this is hit the power button to shut down.  It boots up into regular mode perfect.

So then I try to do a Clean Boot and the exact same thing happens.

I've run check disc and no errors were found as well as system file checker and no errors found, i've also unplugged any external devices from the laptop.

I've used both the All in One and the Windows tweaker before and not had to boot in safe mode and would really like to us both tools again.  I understand it's more of a Windows problem but if anyone has any insight I'd greatly appreciate it

thank you

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Black screen when booting in safe mode and doing a clean boot
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 01:14:22 am »
When you go into safe mode hit ctrl + alt + delete on your keyboard to bring up the task manager, when it opens go to file and new task and then type in explorer.exe and hit ok.

See if that gets the desktop to show up.

The fact that it is happening in safe mode and in clean boot means it sounds like a 3rd party program has over taken the default that windows uses, which is the userinit.exe
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc939862.aspx

So open regedit and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" then right click on it and export it to a file and post it for me, I will look at it and see if anything isnt set correctly :wink:

Shane

Offline DJDaren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 04:35:44 am »
thanx shane here is the exported Winlogon,  have not tried the control alt delete during the black screen yet

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 04:38:45 am »
OK looks like it is pointing to the 32 bit version instead of the proper 64 bit one

"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SysWOW64\\userinit.exe,"

Should be
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\userinit.exe,"

Change that in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and let me know if that fixes it.

Shane

Offline DJDaren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:02:11 am »
unfortunately that didn't fix it and doing control alt delete during the black screen does nothing, I checked my start up items to see if maybe there was a program running and i only have 4 things running:  Advanced System Care, Audio Output Switcher, Catalyst Control Center and Hp Accelerometer System Tray

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:20:06 pm »
When you did the clean boot did you make sure to not uncheck any of the MS services?

Shane

Offline DJDaren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:47:52 pm »
yes definately checked that off....unfortunately this is all moot, because i decided to try a clean boot again and it went into black screen and couldn't restore it to any of the 10 restore points and had to refresh everything and now after 2 days i've refreshed to windows 8, updated windows 8, used windows repair all in one in regular mode (because i did not want to risk having to go thru this all over again) to fix the windows store and the component store so that i could access the windows store and upgrade to 8.1, so i've just finished upgrading to 8.1 and now most likely i'm gonna have to run windows repair all in one in regular mode once more to fix the windows store because after the upgrade i can't open the store or any windows store app and windows settings.   I've actually gone thru this exact thing about 5 times since buying this laptop in January.  I've also done 3 full system restores and about 10 restore to a previous time.  I"m convinced the Windows 8 that came bundled with this HP Envy Sleekbook is too corrupted to be 100% fixed, unfortunately HP won't do anything about it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 02:36:20 pm »
This is one of the reasons why with any store bought computer I wipe the drive clean and install windows fresh, without all their pre loaded crap. Windows 8 is the easiest OS to break that I have ever seen, and I have read how some of the 3rd party apps are the cause of a lot of the problems since windows 8 is so easy to break.

So what would be a good idea is to get ahold of a normal windows 8.1 install disk and install windows fresh and not use the factory restore. There is no cd key for it, the setup in windows will pull the key from the bios, then you can be free of all the 3rd party crap that is installed by default lol

Shane

Offline DJDaren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 02:58:48 pm »
I'd have to be able to download it and put it onto a usb drive or an empty external hard drive since there is no disc drive on my laptop, I wish there was a way to make a recovery drive or an installation drive of the current running operating system, any hp software or windows software that does it does the operating system bundled which is Windows 8, which makes any recovery or refresh extra long cuz you have to go back to 8 and then go to 8.1

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 03:03:23 pm »
Yeah I had a heck of a time getting the iso as well, but there is a way :-)

When windows downloads the 8.1 installer it is actually the 8.1 iso, see if this helps you get it, and yes it can be on USB :-)

http://betanews.com/2014/04/15/how-to-download-and-install-the-windows-8-1-iso-using-a-windows-8-or-8-1-key/

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 03:14:52 pm »
You could try the DISM commands from the admin command prompt.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth will tell you if any thing is wrong and using the /RestoreHealth switch instead of ScanHealth followed by a sfc /scannow can usually resolve most problems.