Author Topic: Windows Repair All-in-One totally boogered the services on my domain controller  (Read 7542 times)

Offline Wiley1

• View Profile
Today I ran Windows Repair All-in-One on my Server 2012 R2 domain controller and I'm still trying to clean up the mess.  At least 4 services startups were changed from Automatic to Manual including NetLogon, Intersite Messaging, and Windows Time.

Was I not supposed to run this thing on a domain controller?   Uh, maybe a warning would have helped?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
- If you have made a backup of the registry before running Windows Repair, then you can restore the registry and then the Services are back to the Original start-up states.
- The user can tell Windows Repair which Service should be put to which startup state (Auto, Demand, Disabled, etc.). You need to modify one file with e.g. Notepad. For e.g. Windows 7, modify the file "services_startup_7.txt"

E.g. to change the startup state of the Service "Wsearch" to "disabled" change the line

"sc config WSearch start= auto"

to

"sc config WSearch start= disabled"

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
If you let the program make a registry backup before hand just go ahead and restore it and it will be back to the way it was before the repairs :-)

Can you also send me the log file of the repairs, I am curious how the program pulled the info from your system on what version of windows it is. In the files folder in the program you will see 5 txt files like services_startup_7.txt (1 for each version of windows since xp) but I dont have any for the servers yet.

I need to better test which repairs are ok to run on a windows server and which version. The problem is on a server that the services and such can be different depending on how the system is set up, where as on a workstation there is always a default.

Untill it is better tester I will make sure to add something to the program on which repairs are not safe to run on a domain controller. :wink:

But like I said, just restore the registry and you should be back to the way you where before hand.

Shane