Author Topic: ( Solved) Should one update the drivers for non changed hardware with same OS  (Read 16197 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,

I thought of asking before. Now it is somewhat confusing as to why to update drivers for the hardwares that were not changed physically hardwares, such as sound card , bios etc.,
                         I understand that there might be some release updates of their drivers. But how it is that updated drivers could only it to function. The software that were supplied sometimes are not working with the previous supplied cds by the same vendors.
                          Normally if the OS of the system gets corrupted, you just install the same cd or dvd to reinstall. Likewise, the same old drivers would not do. Why? The updated drivers may be having some improvements over the previous version, but would it not allow the previous version to work.
                          Lastly why the Bios to be updated anyway? it is lingering question all thro the times for some drivers work as usual, but others are not working with the old drivers. The other thing that the new updated drivers are not working on some applications and the old one are working fine.
                                Please  i want a detailed reply or link to the solution.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:04:01 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Should one update the drivers for non changed hardware with same OS
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:16:34 pm »
Most of the time updated drivers normally have bug fixes or performance improvements, so it is always good to use the most current drivers unless they cause a problem for you :wink:

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 01:58:34 am »
I have tried your option but still no sound in my laptop.If i did remove the drivers from the device manager, it alerts found new hardware on the next reboot.
 I first uninstalled the adi sound max driver from control panel, add remove programs and then uninstalled the possible drivers from device manager. Some does not show the uninstall options like audio codec legacy audio, legacy video drivers. Then i installed the chip set driver . Rebooted and then installed the UAA driver and reboot, then installed the adimax sound driver again. But still no sound.
I also wish to pinpoint that while installing the adimax i was alerted to install the bluetooth exe from exe file. I do not know what this alert meant. When i first installed the UAA driver, on reboot, it shows new hardware found and asked to me show the file for download. I dismissed it. and then freshly installed the adi max sound driver from HP site. I get error: unable to start blue tooth stack services? What this error means?
Then i went to dxdiag and then tried sound test there. It showed error at step 19, hresult=OX00000000. I do not know where i am going wrong.
Since the hardware wizard alerts, i suppose the hard ware is being recognised, that is the sound card. The drivers are the area to look in to, I think. Please what next I have to do to get the sound back.
This is the link from where i downloaded the drivers.
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/sit...4892.199480143
Should i update all the drivers to get the sound? Of is it enough if i do the above drivers?
Moreover, i have two sound tabs in my dxdiag . It shows one as adi sound max and the other as bluetooth audio. the file is shown in the second tab as btaudio.sys.
Does that means that for windows sound, blue tooth is essential and for other sounds the adi sound max drivers?
What is adimax integrated audio drivers? Pl some one help me to get back the sound.
Note: if the window recognises, may i presume that my hardware is found and software drivers are the real problems?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:55:57 am »
Hi, Shane,
                I tried all tricks but could not get sound out of my laptop. Is there any way that i could test the sound with other speakers?. How? Which jack should i use to test?. If there is sound in trying with other speakers then i could be sure that my internal speakers are dead and need some repair or replacement.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:39:59 pm »
Just plug your speakers into the headphone jack, which is the same lime green port :wink:

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 04:38:45 am »
Hi, Shanes
                        I mean laptop which has two jacks one headphone and one other. There are no colours. I think that you have given the colour for computer jacks.Anyhow, I will try by headphone jack in the laptop

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:26:42 pm »
Normally the 2nd jack is for a microphone :wink:

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 02:10:37 am »
Hi,
             Shane, YOur idea worked. I tried to put the computer jact to the laptop headphone jack. I could hear the sound.
                          So, I think that laptop speaker has to be repaired or replaced. Is it correct?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 07:28:47 am »
Yes, sounds like the speakers are not working, either bad speakers or maybe just a lose wire, no way to tell unless you get inside and check.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 10:42:28 pm »
Hi, Shane
                Before closing the thread, when i double clicked the system device and speakers on the list, it shows that no drivers installed for this device. Would this anything to do with speakers not functioning properly. I only find speakers listed there.Pl

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 11:37:06 pm »
Speakers are not normally listed in the device manager unless they are usb speakers and they require drivers.

But if it is a laptop then it is possible that is how they have then hooked up, if so then they may need drivers installed, try removing it from the device manager and then rebooting, forcing windows to redetect it again and see how it goes.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 04:22:22 am »
Hi, Should bios update has anything to do with it. I updated one bios update out of the two bios update in the HP site for this model. If i download and click the other bios, it asks me usb or something to that effect to install.
                       There is a previous version of the bios driver, that i have installed from the site. Can i overwrite the bios with this one to get my default bios. Is that anything to do with the bios. There is no sound adjustments in the bios. There is a set default all button. If i click, the Sata is getting enabled automatically in the bios and then my laptop would not beet, if it is not disabled. I want to know why this is given as default bios system not allowing actual boot. Moreover, when i checked bios screens, in one of the button, i find an unknown language menu, only one menu, in the whole of Bios. Does it mean corrupt bios. Is the bios anything to do with sound?. I tried the volume icons in the keyboard of the laptop and increased the volume of it.
                          May be you are totally right that it is a dislocation of speaker internal wire. Please do reply me to all the points i raised as your answer gives boost to my thinking. Thanks. I will try your uninstall of speaker drivers.
                            In windows 7, troubleshooting immediately fixes the problem. But how to troubleshoot in windows xp.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 09:55:46 pm »
Hi, Shane, Pl say what the last right button switch  is for ? I came across article that when laptop thinks that headphones jack is plugged, it will stop the internal speakers and there is a switch to it. Pl say whether the right switch is the thing.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 05:13:19 am »
Hi jraju,

looks like a PCMCIA card eject button.

Samson.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 05:50:01 am »
Hi, Samson, Thank you,
                       Somewhere in HP thread l learnt that when laptop thinks that headphone is plugged, even when it is not, then the sound may not work in the internal speakers, as it is default sensor settings, that if a headphone jack is inserted sound from internal speakers will be muted automatically. And some one suggest tooth pick to unjam the sensor to clear if any . How to test with tooth pick i do not know. Please could you say how to clean the headphone jacks to safely do this.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 08:40:14 am »
Sorry J, I can't help you there  :sad:

But I would n't put a toothpick in a jack socket, in the same way i would n't put a jack plug in my mouth  :wink:. The risk of causing physical damage.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 06:31:24 pm »
Hi, Samson,
                      Yesterday, i tried with headphone with headphone jack. The sound was perfectly coming . So the internal speaker is working isnt it ?.  Sound obviously come from speaker as headphone when inserted gets sound from speakers . Then how to say that speaker may be the cause. Pl help.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 04:22:44 am »
The headphone socket does not rely on the internal speakers, it is a separate output.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 04:31:22 am »
Hi, Samson, Thank you for that news. I really do not know . So there is a separate speaker for the head phone also.or a kind of separate sound output . So, the fault is with the speakers only. Ok. When i had the similar problem last time, i got the sound back after pressing to the right of the power switch where the speaker is.
                  The output of the speaker is on the left side so it is analog speaker and not stereo. Is it correct? So it is not a stereo speakers, but only one speaker . Since the sound is coming from other external speakers and also via head phones, the sound drivers are correct, ok, . Is it ok?. In the meanwhile i will surf for net for any other solution. Thanks for the technical information

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 04:38:45 am »
When i had the similar problem last time, i got the sound back after pressing to the right of the power switch where the speaker is.

That sounds like a loose or partial connection problem, bad cable/ connection/ or soldered joint .

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 03:02:56 am »
Hi, Samson and Shane
            Thanks. Since all the windows sound and audio video plays in Headphone jack, the problem is definitely speaker hardware. I will try to repair and replace. Thanksss again