Author Topic: Tweaking.com - Technicians Toolbox Beta Testing!  (Read 22511 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Tweaking.com - Technicians Toolbox Beta Testing!
« on: December 23, 2014, 06:30:45 am »
Beta Testing is over and the program will be released very shortly!

Shane
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:13:22 pm by Shane »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
Re: Tweaking.com - Technicians Toolbox Beta Testing!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 06:59:51 am »
hi Shane  :wink:

i will test the new program right now !  :smiley: great work you have done for us  :wink: :artist: and i download the first beta version ! thank you  :tongue:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:21:30 pm »
*crickets*

um... been a week, and not a single feedback or comment yet about the program.

Should I be worried? lol... guys?................hello?........ *crickets* *crickets*

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 02:08:20 am »
Driver Monitor Report - Save list as a web page. html and plain tex. txt, doesn't show any value.

Windows Services Allowed In Safe Mode Report - Save list as a web page. html and plain tex. txt, doesn't show any value.

Take A Screen Shot doesn't work - none of the option work, the picture doesn't show anything. But then I try to make a screen shot in windows by clicking "Printscr" on my keyboard it does work!

The "System Monitors" I would like to maximize them and also "Svchost.exe Lookup", "Process Information", "Windows Services" and "Windows Services Safe Mode"!

I played around with "Windows Services Safe Mode" so I allowed all services in safe mode is there disadvantages by having it that way?
I would like to have an option so I could undo my changes!

I would like to close tab by middle clicking mouse!

I would like to use Keyboard Shortcuts, like ctrl + a, ctrl + c, when there is a list!

Happy new year!  :cheesy:

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 01:32:04 am »
i think clean memory button doesn't work properly and its not clean a memory otherwise it dose nothing !

and i have a feedback for more program Features which we need for extra Features to submit a Suspicious process to VirusTotal for analysis purpose  :smiley:

:wink:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:26:55 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 10:26:54 pm »
Tomas_Sweden, excellent testing :-)

The bugs you found where literally caused by 1 line of code in those sections lol. Those late nights where starting to get to me it seems.

I made a new build and it is now Beta 1.1. Download from the same link in the first post and replace the files with the new ones from the zip file.

Driver Monitor Report - Save list as a web page. html and plain tex. txt, doesn't show any value.

Windows Services Allowed In Safe Mode Report - Save list as a web page. html and plain tex. txt, doesn't show any value.

Take A Screen Shot doesn't work - none of the option work, the picture doesn't show anything. But then I try to make a screen shot in windows by clicking "Printscr" on my keyboard it does work!

The "System Monitors" I would like to maximize them and also "Svchost.exe Lookup", "Process Information", "Windows Services" and "Windows Services Safe Mode"! 

This has been fixed in Beta 1.1.

The system monitors are currently not resizeable, mainly because everything fits on the window but I can see why you would want resizing so you dont have to scroll the lists. I will see about adding that.

As for the maximize option. These are MDI forms but because I am doing my own custom graphics and title bar doing a MDI child maximize wont work properly. So instead I made something else, in the windows that are resizeable you will see a new button in the title bar, this button will resize the window to fit the current work space in the program. So pretty much like maximize but if you resize the main window the child form stays the same size, but hit the button again and it resizes. Hopefully this will accomplish the goal of being able to quickly increase the size of the window with out having to drag the size with the mouse.

I would like to close tab by middle clicking mouse!

Done! I updated the task bar control to handle the middle mouse button and to close what ever window is open that you click on in the task bar at the top of the program.

I would like to use Keyboard Shortcuts, like ctrl + a, ctrl + c, when there is a list!

The program already had ctrl + c to copy the selected items in the lists, I cant ebelive I forgot to give the select all shortcut lol, ctrl + a has been added to the lists :-)

Happy new year!

Happy new year as well!

i think clean mommy button doesn't work properly and its not clean a mommy otherwise it dose nothing !

Clean Mommy?? I double checked and I didnt spell mommy lol I also tested and it did clean the memory of the processes on my systems.

and i have a feedback for more program Features which we need for extra Features to submit a Suspicious process to VirusTotal for analysis purpose

Not sure virus total has a submit from a program option, I know they do through the web pages but you have to use their webage to submit it. Thanks for the idea though :-)

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 04:20:17 am »
Tomas_Sweden, excellent testing :-)

You are welcome!  :smiley:

This still doesn't work!

As for the maximize option. These are MDI forms but because I am doing my own custom graphics and title bar doing a MDI child maximize wont work properly. So instead I made something else, in the windows that are resizeable you will see a new button in the title bar, this button will resize the window to fit the current work space in the program. So pretty much like maximize but if you resize the main window the child form stays the same size, but hit the button again and it resizes.

Then I hit the "Resize Window to Screen" button again it doesn't resizes again, it stay maximized/full fitted to the current work space in the program!

All the other changes work perfect, great!

You didn't answar this: "I played around with "Windows Services Safe Mode" so I allowed all services in safe mode, is there disadvantages by having it that way?
I would like to have an option so I could undo my changes!"

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 10:28:25 am »
Happy New Year !!!!

Perhaps the program pulls up info using the performance counters ? Those have a different name in each language (swedish, dutch and english) version !! I know some Tweaking.com programs that don't work on a dutch system for the same reason. Perhaps the toolbox needs to use a different API ?

The only reason I see why running Services in Safe Mode is useful was for Windows Repair. But I am not computer techie/geek. Or combine more Service related things in one separate tool/window. Or make a more smart combination.

Perhaps the toolbox becomes more useful when it enables the user to "meddle"/change more Service related things. E.g. change startup state, start/stop a Service (if & when it's allowed by Windows), ......... (what other useful things can be done with the Services ???). And "Print Service Info" button. Don't know what's possible & useful.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 02:16:15 pm »
Not sure virus total has a submit from a program option, I know they do through the web pages but you have to use their webage to submit it. Thanks for the idea though :-)
Shane

I saw this today over at MajorGeeks, PhrozenSoft VirusTotal Uploader.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/phrozen_virustotal_uploader.html

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 09:33:14 pm »

This still doesn't work!

Oh I see now, it is only grabbing the first column and not both. I will get that fixed.

Then I hit the "Resize Window to Screen" button again it doesn't resizes again, it stay maximized/full fitted to the current work space in the program!

Its not really a maximize option but a fit in current window button. MDI forms are rather limited and I have already done some pretty cool things to over come those limitations. maximizing though isnt one of them lol

You didn't answar this: "I played around with "Windows Services Safe Mode" so I allowed all services in safe mode, is there disadvantages by having it that way?
I would like to have an option so I could undo my changes!"

Sorry was a late night. The only point of not having service run in safe mode is if one of those services is causing a problem. Other than that there is no problem having them enabled, and the restore safe mode in the windows repair will put most of the known services back to default. I should see about putting that into that tool as well to put back the default services at least. 3rd party services how ever it wouldnt know what to do with.

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 01:04:57 am »
Thanks for all the answers!

Its not really a maximize option but a fit in current window button. MDI  forms are rather limited and I have already done some pretty cool things  to over come those limitations. maximizing though isnt one of them lol

Ok I think I get it now!  :smiley:

I don't know about this one, in the help file under System Monitors - Drives you wrote: "choosen" my english isn't so good but shouldn't it say "chosen"?

Under Tools - Manage Windows Users and Groups - In "Current System Password Polices:" and under "Policy" It doesn't show special swedish letters! I post a picture!

Under Tools - Network Tools - TCP & UDP Stats - I would like to rezie the window here so I can see all the value at the same time or if you could  have "Resize Window to Screen" option here also?

Tomas

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 09:10:42 pm »
I don't know about this one, in the help file under System Monitors - Drives you wrote: "choosen" my english isn't so good but shouldn't it say "chosen"?

Thank god I am not judged by my spelling ability. I would look like a moron if it wasnt for spell check. Yes you are right, should have only 1 O :-)

Under Tools - Manage Windows Users and Groups - In "Current System Password Polices:" and under "Policy" It doesn't show special swedish letters! I post a picture!

Correct! My program is in english only, HOWEVER, the stats the program pulls from the system and performance monitor will be however Windows reports them to the program, and in this case swedish. I made sure that all the controls and all the apis I used will support unicode letters :-)

Under Tools - Network Tools - TCP & UDP Stats - I would like to rezie the window here so I can see all the value at the same time or if you could  have "Resize Window to Screen" option here also?

I will make this a resizable window in the next update :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 03:06:02 pm »
And not a peep from a single other person on testing it. Been weeks now we not a single email or post on the beta (I am literally the only person I know of that uses this daily lol). Either people dont like helping and using betas, or I might have just wasted 4 months writing this.

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:35 pm »
Beta Testing is over and the program will be released very shortly!

Shane

Offline maverick_GE

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 11:08:52 am »
Thanks Shane for such useful program. You did good job for us!

Offline em17976

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 10:03:35 pm »
Shane,
I just used toolbox for the first time deeply and under monitors (drives) it scrolls but no information is visible.

I reinstalled it and same results. Can you check for me?

Thanks

Offline em17976

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 04:20:38 pm »
AGAIN,,\

Shane,
I just used toolbox for the first time deeply and under monitors (drives) it scrolls but no information is visible.

I reinstalled it and same results. Can you check for me?

Thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 02:23:56 pm »
That uses the windows performance monitor to pull that data. If it is coming up empty then make sure your performance monitor is working in windows.

Shane

Offline em17976

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 07:17:20 pm »
You're right.  When I start perfmon.exe it pops up that it is unable to start two things.
physicaldisk/ %idletime

and

physicaldisk/ average disk que length.

I am using a 1T hybrid hard drive. Does a hybrid shut it off? How do I start it up?

Thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 08:08:18 am »
OK so the performance counters are broken, lets see if the command to restore them from their backup will work.

Open a cmd.exe window as administrator and put in
lodctr /r

If it works reboot and see if that does the trick :-)

Shane

Offline em17976

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 11:42:18 pm »
After doing lodctr /r I did NOT reboot. I went to the program and it was still inactive. The command did say it was a success

I then did a lodctr /q which showed a number of sections disabled.

I then found a command to enable these disabled sections one at a time.

Success AND a big thank you for teaching me.

Offline em17976

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 12:05:50 am »
So I just did another of my laptops which was also not reading monitors DISK and did the same and rebooted after the R switch and the monitor did not run.

I then did a q switch and discovered 1 NOT enabled. Perfdisk I think.  I then did a e switch to enable it manually and immediately the monitor began running and populating the graph.

So I ask you why did I have on one laptop 4 sections disabled and on the other laptop one disabled?

Thanks,
Ed