Author Topic: windows 8.1 Pro - 0x0000142 errors  (Read 16787 times)

Offline EelkeNL

• View Profile
windows 8.1 Pro - 0x0000142 errors
« on: December 27, 2014, 06:30:32 am »
Hey,

I having a difficult time solving Application 0x0000142 errors on my pc. Recently i noticed that when i reïnstalled several programs (like NexusModManager) and run them, they crashed. Looking back i first noticed it when i reïnstalled the driver of my AMD graphics card and i was getting MOM.exe (part of amd's Catalyst Control Center i believe) 0x0000142 errors on start up of my pc.

After that it got worse :shocked: several other red flags included:
- troubleshoot restriction errors (img.1)
- windows installer errors (img.2)
- cmd telling me i'm no longer the admin (img.3), which freaked me out
- windows file explorer just closes when it's searching.
- Being told i'm no longer admin i looked in gpedit.msc, but snap-in failed (img.4). Not sure if related.
- when i wanted to reset windows to factory settings it only said it was missing files and then closed.

I think they are related because a lot of these things seem point to admin or .dll files.

Im on the end of my rope, i tried google searching and fixing myself but nothing works. Thing i tried:
- Registry fixes (Advanced System care, CCleaner), keeps finding same errors after a while.
- Updating windows (which fought me al the way)
- Running programs as admin with compatibility
- Defrag HDD (windows is located on SSD but they don't need to be defraged), bit pointless but what the heck  :thinking:
- windows disk cleaner (tried to remove windows updates but no luck)
- Malware scans (AVG, Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit)
- Even botnet scans (Check and Secure)
- Also i wanted to try replacing al the .dll files as Shane mentioned here: http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,2473.0.html. But i don't know anyone i could copy from who has 8.1 pro, everybody i know is a hardcore windows 7 nut :tongue:

Also tried to reset windows to factory setting, only as i mentioned earlier it failed due to missing files. I don't have a dvd or usb with my windows 8.1 to do a complete reset (i got it online from my uni due to the fact i'm a poor dirty student :cry:), and im no longer eligible to get it again. So i really hope there is a fix.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or knows a fix?

Thanks and much appreciation in advance for any feedback & help. Happy holidays everyone!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 02:52:43 pm by EelkeNL »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: windows 8.1 Pro - 0x0000142 errors
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:28:22 am »
Are you using the affected computer now ?

If it isn't sufficiently serviceable to download a Win 8.1 Pro ISO and burn it to either an USB or DVD, then you will need to access one.

Check to see if you are using 32 or 64 bit then Save the appropriate ISO from http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-8-1-download/ and then you can use http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool to create a bootable USB or DVD.

This program was originally for Win 7 but works for Win 8/8.1

Hopefully you will be able to use the Reset option with this.

When you say you had reinstalled your AMD drivers, was that an update or from scratch ?

If it was just an update then you can go into Device Manager/Display adapters - right click on your AMD - select Properties and under the Driver tab select the Rollback option.

This could undo the damage and save you from having to do the Reset.

Don't forget that you'll need to back up any personal stuff before performing the Reset, although you could try the Refresh option first.

Offline jhillman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 08:37:19 am »
I to had this problem. So I searched on the start screen with "windows apps" and saw many topics about 8.1 and apps not working. I found these two articals  Hope this helps.

Fix for Windows Store App not working after Windows 8.1 Upgrade
October 18, 2013 Richard Hay All Posts, Windows
There are some reports floating around that the Windows Store app stops functioning after an upgrade to Windows 8.1.
I am not sure how widespread the issue is but there is a post by Luis Cantero on his No Time blog on MSDN, which I saw earlier today, and I thought I would publish it here to get it out there on a wide scale in case someone needed it.
According to Luis these are some of the situations you will see with the Windows Store in 8.1:

* Sometimes, after upgrading to Windows 8.1, the Store App may not start.
   * It might still show the number of available updates on the Live Tile.
   * Starting the app may show a progress ring but it may not finish loading.

He said the fix is to type this command in a Command Prompt on your system:
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml
I would also imagine you need to do this an a Command Prompt window that has Admin rights.
Source: Fix Store App in Windows 8.1 (MSDN Blog of Luis Cantero)

MSDN Blogs > NoTime > Fix Store App in Windows 8.1
Code: [Select]

Fix Store App in Windows 8.1
RATE THIS
 Luis Cantero
18 Oct 2013 8:14 AM

* Sometimes, after upgrading to Windows 8.1, the Store App may not start.
* It might still show the number of available updates on the Live Tile.
* Starting the app may show a progress ring but it may not finish loading.

* To fix this, run the following in a Command Window (CMD) to re-register the Store App:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

* If you get error 0x8007064A after executing this, it means that the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages" does not have SYSTEM as the owner.
* Change the owner back to SYSTEM as explained here and try again.

* To fix three other system apps such as PC Settings, run the following:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\camera\AppxManifest.xml
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\FileManager\AppxManifest.xml
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\ImmersiveControlPanel\AppxManifest.xml

Windows, Store Apps

francois
18 Oct 2013 10:01 AM
#
thanks, not easy to find solution. search for store not working in windows 8.1

ernst
18 Oct 2013 10:28 AM
#
thanks - finally a solution that worked

mile
18 Oct 2013 12:00 PM
#
nice. thanks.

ed
18 Oct 2013 12:38 PM
#
wow .. that was simple. tried every other solution out there and nothing worked. was thinking about reverting back to 8 until finding this post.. thanks!

Gary
18 Oct 2013 1:37 PM
#
Thanks. I spent at least an hour in order to find a fix for this and this one finally helped!

working
18 Oct 2013 3:44 PM
#
thanks so much for this fix, quick and easy. All microsoft support can say about this issue would be reinstall windows or delete your account. while it is known that thousands of people have the same issue there is no fix...

cibaltimore
18 Oct 2013 8:06 PM
#
Thanks. It worked for me.

Luis Cantero
19 Oct 2013 7:55 AM
#
@Frank and Bart: This fix is for when the Store App shows a progress ring and never finishes loading. If you have another issue such as the error "We weren't able to connect to the store", please post it here http://answers.microsoft.com/ and someone from support will investigate further.

Thanx alot
19 Oct 2013 11:28 AM
#
This is the only working solution! Please post it to MS!

ezzyv
19 Oct 2013 2:54 PM
#
THANKS! Finally!  This worked like a charm :P

Martin
21 Oct 2013 1:10 AM
#
Looked everywhere for a fix and this did it straight away. Thanks!

Arjan
21 Oct 2013 4:22 AM
#
Thanks! searched for a couple of hours to solve the problem but this solutions worked right away!
please advise MS about this.

Luis Cantero
21 Oct 2013 4:26 AM
#
@Arjan: Please note that the Windows team already knows about this issue and a fix should be pushed ASAP with one of the next updates.

Les
21 Oct 2013 11:26 AM
#
Solved my problem, thanks!

Ryan
21 Oct 2013 6:29 PM
#
Wow, thank you.

Dave A008
22 Oct 2013 8:16 AM
#
Wow!  This was a simple fix that I spent virtually HOURS researching all over the web.  May I suggest that Microsoft develop a "Fix it" that can be easily found and used for those not as computer savvy as some.

Pete
24 Oct 2013 8:36 AM
#
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml
Microsoft should action immediately this tile is key for all others to work

claude
25 Oct 2013 11:48 PM
#
Merci de nouveau pour cette solution qui a fonctionnée immédiatement........J ai retrouvé windows store Enfin

Staale Sørensen
28 Oct 2013 9:42 AM
#
Did not work for me.
Also tried to run cmd as administrator.
Also tried to run the second recomended command
C:\windows\system32>start "" "ms-windows-store:"
No error Message.  I live in Norway.
Any tips?

Luis Cantero
30 Oct 2013 4:24 AM
#
@Claude: Press the Windows and the R key at the same time. A run dialog will appear. Then copy and paste the command in my article there and execute it. You need to keep the space characters and everything exactly as I mentioned above. The command that you posted here is all wrong and some options are translated to French, which will not work.
@Everyone: If the command doesn't help you, please don't post saying that "it doesn't work", instead, post the error message or describe what happened, otherwise I don't know what to suggest. Some people post the command wrong or omit empty spaces, it could be anything. "It doesn't work" is the worst thing you can say when looking for help. Please help me help you. Thanks.

Kent
30 Oct 2013 5:31 AM
#
Hi
After running  C:\windows\system32>start "" "ms-windows-store:" I get the following error "Windows cannot find 'ms-windows-store':.Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Kent
30 Oct 2013 5:34 AM
#
after running the Powershell fix i get the following error. ms-windows-store: No such interface supported

Pokcoyo
30 Oct 2013 11:20 AM
#
Thank you very much indeed. It worked like a charm.

Drew
30 Oct 2013 3:34 PM
#
I still am unable to get into the store after having followed your instructions. I get the same message "We weren't able to connect to the Store..."
If I sign on to my husbands account on this computer I get the moving circle of dots and the store doesn't open. There is no error message.
The update to Windows 8.1 preview was from Windows 8 Pro with media centre.
Hope you can help.

Tony
30 Oct 2013 3:51 PM
#
Did not work for me. Thanks for trying.

Ken
30 Oct 2013 9:03 PM
#
After run powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml
I still get the same problem when installing  any apps:"something happened and this app couldn't be installed. please try again. Error code: 0x8e5e021f."
Btw, I install a win 8.1 pro on a clean disk.

Peter
31 Oct 2013 6:50 PM
#
This was the most valuable advice and only solution that worked after going through multiple blogs over the past hour.  Thanks!!

Ry
3 Nov 2013 3:31 AM
#
Awesome man! far out why doesn't MS know this?

Bubba
3 Nov 2013 6:10 AM
#
Just a note; reboot your machine after the fix. Everything works now.

Danny
3 Nov 2013 6:51 AM
#
This solution still does not work for me, the only way I can open the store is using RUN: wsreset.exe, it doesn't fix the problem, but I can get into the Windows Store, refer to my forum post:answers.microsoft.com/.../c3060897-d3d3-4036-8cab-0d413a5efb62

jasmin
4 Nov 2013 5:52 AM
#
thanks for a lot.. its very helpful

Andrew
4 Nov 2013 9:12 AM
#
I tried this but I got 0x80073D02    "The package is unable to be installed resources it modifies are currently in use."
0x80004004 "Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy!Windows.Store."
I already have closed the app twice. I also have looked through my task manager. No results.

Rolando
6 Nov 2013 6:56 AM
#
This fixed my PC settings and App Store issue but I still get the 5 min black screen after login before Metro will load.
Thanks...

Kianmo
6 Nov 2013 6:09 PM
#
It worked! Can you please provide the systemroot folder to fix mail, people, calendar, photos,and solitaire collection??

Patrick
9 Nov 2013 4:30 PM
#
Thanks Luis - very clear instructions and by following them I have got my surface pro up and working again.  Had to do the regedit fix first to change owner too.
Crazy that MS can release an upgrade that has such problems with it.

Amar Gupta
9 Nov 2013 11:31 PM
#
Still app store and other inbuild apps of windows 8.1 not working. When i click on app it try to start but then come back to the start screen. When i tried to open the app store through Command Prompt. It Pops up a dialog box, The app didn't start. When i clicked on okay, then it shows Access Denied in command prompt. Please help. Really frustrated by this issue.

Dave T
10 Nov 2013 3:48 PM
#
I have the same symptom as Amar.

Heiko S
12 Nov 2013 2:25 AM
#
for me the solution is not working either. After applying your method and rebooting several times I still get error code 0x8e5e021f when trying to install an app... :/ Please help, Microsoft

PnP
13 Nov 2013 1:42 PM
#
Worked like a Charm!.. thank you very much!

LF
16 Nov 2013 5:34 AM
#
Worked great thank you!

James
16 Nov 2013 8:38 AM
#
After checking everyone else's "fixes" with firewalls, proxies, and whatnot, this is what finally worked. Thanks so much.

Tina
17 Nov 2013 3:25 PM
#
Thanks a million.  It now works great.

RJ
19 Nov 2013 12:16 PM
#
Thanks you so much! I had been searching for like 2 days for a solution to this and nothing worked until your post.

Renato
19 Nov 2013 8:35 PM
#
Thank you!
Is there any command to return all applications, I managed to recover the camera, the settings of the PC and the store, but all other native apps are failing

dakshay
21 Nov 2013 11:49 AM
#
thx a lot .. your trick solved my problem in 10 sec .. I was searching for solution on microsoft site and it didn't worked well .. thx

Zagna
23 Nov 2013 5:37 AM
#
For me, Store opened up and showed everything nice but no updates worked or any install just went nowhere.
Immediately after running that command Store works as it should \o/

Finally
23 Nov 2013 3:34 PM
#
Thank you so much! I've been looking everywhere for something like this and was just about to give up hope...

#
thank you so much everything is working again......

amyf5
25 Nov 2013 3:31 AM
#
i tried wat u told the store is still not opening it just keeps loading. please help

Nezarik
25 Nov 2013 9:29 AM
#
Holy crap, I tried for over a month to get my WIndows Store to work, and this has been the only solution that helped! Thank you so very much!

jlar
25 Nov 2013 11:51 AM
#
Excellent... the only method that works in seconds.....keep the good work

Wavik
26 Nov 2013 12:16 AM
#
Wow, thank you, man, it really works for me

kris
26 Nov 2013 4:19 PM
#
After running powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml
I get  an internal error 0x80070005.  Any help/pointers to fix the issue will will be appreciated.
----------------------------------------------------------- 
C:\WINDOWS\system32>powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -Di
sableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml
Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could
not be registered.
An internal error occurred with error 0x80070005. See
go.microsoft.com/fwlink for help diagnosing app
deployment issues.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId]
c8ec96e1-eb03-0000-4e98-ecc803ebce01 in the Event Log or use the command line
Get-AppxLog -ActivityID c8ec96e1-eb03-0000-4e98-ecc803ebce01
At line:1 char:1
+ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
$Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxM ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~
   + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (C:\WINDOWS\WinStore\AppxManifest.xm
  l:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
   + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageMa
  nager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
C:\WINDOWS\system32>
----------------

Ahraz Akhtar
26 Nov 2013 11:13 PM
#
Hi,
i executed the above commands and they successfully got executed also. But still m getting the blank screen and no desktop/ tiles are getting loaded. I run all the 4 commands in cmd . But the last 3 commands are same. Pls Help me.

bill
27 Nov 2013 5:38 AM
#
when I try to install apps, I get a message 'something happened and purchase can't be completed error code0x8024036'

Leena
27 Nov 2013 9:50 AM
#
Run the command, no errors, but store still doesn't work. It first started with Error 80240436 where it says "Something happened and ......" basically saying that I can't install any apps then I did the wsreset and this happened. Anyone followed the same path and finally got it working?

Chris S
27 Nov 2013 10:32 PM
#
Worked like a charm

Jo
29 Nov 2013 5:54 AM
#
Worked perfectly for the Store app.
But I am still having problems with other app that also won't open: Mail, people, calendar, etc.
Any solution?

Afundi
29 Nov 2013 5:48 PM
#
Wow - like so may others on here, thank you for posting this! It seems you are the only one that found this fix. Several weeks of frustration through Google searches ending in futility...until I found this!

Kieren
4 Dec 2013 4:47 AM
#
THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH THIS IS FINALLY THE REAL SOLUTION!!!
Thanks soooooo much

Ken
4 Dec 2013 11:05 AM
#
Thank you, I spent weeks searching to a fix for this, this is the first time it worked.

MCB
4 Dec 2013 3:43 PM
#
WORKED!!!!!!!!!! (for Store but not other Metro apps)

Rachelle
4 Dec 2013 9:48 PM
#
Hi, thanks for the help.  However, it didn't work for me.  After the update, my Store won't open properly.  It loads the green launching screen, the progress circle cycles briefly, and then in opens up the "app" with only a white screen, a back arrow that does nothing, and this error message:
Something happened and the Windows Store is no longer working.  Please restart your PC, and try again.  If this problem continues, you might need to refresh Windows on your PC."
I tried the fix exactly as you suggested it; I tried it both in "Run" and in the "Command Prompt."  I also tried running the command prompt as administrator.  When running the command, I get the following error:
Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CFE, The package repository is corrupted.
error -501: Windows cannot process a deployment operation because the package repository database encountered an ESENT error.  Use the Reset Your PC feature to recover your PC. See the Application event log for message with ESENT as the event source for more details.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] f7007592-f179-0000-3b77-00f779f1ce01 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID f7007592-f179-0000-3b77-00f779f1ce01
+ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxM ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo          : Not Specified: <C:\WINDOWS\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML:String> [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorID : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
After restarting the computer, there is no change.  Although the error message is different, I did double-check the owner of the key you mentioned above, but it is in fact showing the owner as SYSTEM.  Any further suggestions?  I'm really hoping to not have to refresh my PC.
Thank you in advance, and thanks for the time you've put into this so far!

Rachelle
4 Dec 2013 10:45 PM
#
Found a fix, posted by Windanced here:
social.technet.microsoft.com/.../81-store-apps-wont-load
(currently second comment from the bottom.
Now that it's working, I like the new Store app!  Only thing now is that all of my installed apps, although working fine, show as not installed in the store.  Any idea how to fix that?  Thanks!  (The first app I tried to open after noticing this popped up a "You have installed <app>..." notification, but still showing as not installed in the Store.  No other apps have generated this notification after opening them.)

Joshua
5 Dec 2013 4:47 AM
#
Thank you so much man!!! I delete some folders/files in c:\users by mistake, i can not open any win8 apps or metro settings. I even install win8 in VMware and copy all users folder to my windows, it still wouldn't work. Your commands saved my life! I still have another problem, i can not log in a new user in my win8, seems like the default user profile is damaged. I've copied all files from another copy of win8, but still not working. I think the netuser.data stuff are corrupted. How can I fix this without reinstallation.  Thank you man!!

Luis Cantero
5 Dec 2013 9:36 AM
#
@Joshua: Have you tried to Refresh your PC without affecting your files?

Kristina Terrey
7 Dec 2013 7:28 PM
#
Hi there.
I have an Acer Aspire V3-571G with Windows 8. After some time  I noticed the tiles appeared to be "broken".
After a lot of trying I finally backed up all my data and reinstalled windows (I don't have a disc) using the recovery option.  Whole system seemed a lot better and so I then downloaded Windows 8.1 (which I quite like apart from the bugs).
Initially all seemed to be well but then the tiles stopped working, I couldn't access PC settings or store. I tried all the commonly suggested steps to take to no avail. I uninstalled Norton anti virus and Advanced System Care using just Windows Defender and checking that the rules did not mess with the apps. Then I came across the commands given by you Luis Cantero and yay! Store works and settings works. This also fixed the camera app and photos.
BUT oh dear...I can't now install or update apps from the store and even most of the installed apps won't work.
What now???  I tried to refresh the system but this would not complete and I have read that with Windows 8.1 it is also impossible to reinstall Windows (thereby uninstalling update 8.1).

Kristina Terrey
7 Dec 2013 7:34 PM
#
I should add that I get the following message when I try and install/update apps:
Error 0x80070002
"Something happened and your app couldn't be installed"

renato
8 Dec 2013 7:21 PM
#
I got fix the three applications, camera, control panel  and settings, but I wanted to know how to fix all applications, because when I try to install again gives the error 0x80070002, such as the weather, map, people

Kristina Terrey
9 Dec 2013 1:17 AM
#
I have managed to install those apps you mention Renato. They just refuse to "open". I managed to get them to install by deleting files in the registry as per following links:
social.technet.microsoft.com/.../81-store-apps-wont-load
www.eightforums.com/.../2814-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-8-a.html

Angela Davies
10 Dec 2013 12:24 AM
#
Brilliant thank you x

Evelyn Diaz
10 Dec 2013 1:27 PM
#
I tried everything mention above and I still can not get the Windows 8 store to open.  Help! it tries to load and then says it is either a server problem or it timed out

Mark Hubenak
11 Dec 2013 5:02 AM
#
This post was very helpful and without it I could not have corrected the problem.  BUT it did not solve all the issues that existed.  I still could not run my Metro Apps or reinstall them without error codes.  After two days I hit on the solution and it is rather simple.  I am not sure if the powershell scirpts are still needed as with ctl - W you should still be able to type "user" and create user accounts. 
The issue I had after installing Win 8/1 upgrade is in persmissions within the existing user account and the new system needs.  I cannot see how to correct it simply without excessive manual changes... so I opted for a simple solution. (after two days of working on it)
1) First copy all  you data files and game data (Documents, Desktop, Favorites and so on) onto a flash drive
2) Ctl - W, type User, Select the add, change, delete user account line.
3) add a new User with a different email address than the one you have now.
4) give this account Admin right
5) restart and logon as the new user
6) download a free app from the WinStore and run it to verify that this solution is working for you.
7) if it is working Delete your old account (your data will also be destroyed)
8) Clt -  W, Create new user again this time for your prior email address that you just deleted
9) restart and logon with that prior email address, The system will set this account up with the correct permissions
10) go to WinStore and reinstall all your applications... it should know that they are
11) rename Documents, Desktop, Favorites and so on and then copy from flash drive to restore files
12) Delete the interum user account
This worked for me... still had my microsoft office and so on in place with everything working again.  Hope this helps Cheers... and thanks for the powershells they got me on right track.

Pat Ballard
11 Dec 2013 7:22 PM
#
Tried everything and this finally got it working. Thanks!!!

raghu
14 Dec 2013 10:05 PM
#
thank u sir...... it worked...i am happy ..

calfred2808
15 Dec 2013 6:03 AM
#
what if the store and settings are keep in loading ?

putu bali
17 Dec 2013 1:06 AM
#
My asus n56v
store & bluetooth still not working after update 8.1
i tried your solution many times, but failed.
my last option is back to 8 using refresh pc :(

Luki
17 Dec 2013 8:47 AM
#
I had tried all methods that I found but my windows 8.1 app store still not working. My problem is: when I click apps store icon it only show splash screen for a moment then it closed (back to start menu).
So at the last, I decided to refresh my windows. (PC Setting -> Update & Recovery -> Refresh). After that, my windows app store can work again. But It will delete all program data in your windows main directory. You should reinstall some application that you had installed before.

trace
17 Dec 2013 3:55 PM
#
thank you finally

becca
18 Dec 2013 9:42 AM
#
I tried the commands, it worked, but the app store won't let me download any apps because it says that my internet connection is to slow to download!! What should i do? (my connection has full bars, so, it should be pretty fast!) :(

Pasci
18 Dec 2013 2:41 PM
#
Thank you very much, worked like a charm. Used it on windows  8.0.

Alekz
19 Dec 2013 10:13 AM
#
After the upgrade to Windows 8.1 I'm no longer able to download
or update any apps, all I get is the 0x8024043d error.
I have already tried creating the AUInstallAgent folder, resetting the store cache, sync licenses
but none of this worked.
if i run the command powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml
i got this error:
Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF9, Install failed.
Please contact your software vendor. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF9)
error 0x80070003: AppX Deployment operation failed. The specific error text
for this failure is: RDSAppXNotifyRecoveryTrigger
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId]
008c7dc4-fce5-0000-227e-8c00e5fcce01 in the Event Log or use the command line
Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 008c7dc4-fce5-0000-227e-8c00e5fcce01
+ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
$Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxM ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~
   + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (C:\WINDOWS\WinStore\AppxManifest.xm
  l:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
   + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageMa
  nager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
Help is really appreciated, Thanks.

hi
19 Dec 2013 7:49 PM
#
it did not work for me is there any other way to fixing the store or do I have to wait for the next update?

Brad Flewelling
20 Dec 2013 7:30 AM
#
Like commented before me not an easy fix to find but this worked great thx

Sue
20 Dec 2013 11:41 PM
#
Thank you, finally a solution that DOES WORK!

Ahmed Fayyad
24 Dec 2013 10:57 AM
#
i have that error >> "This page failed to load" .... Please help me!

Wburger
26 Dec 2013 10:49 AM
#
My MS tiles all of a sudden would not run - just got blank screens.  Only the local programs with no Internet access needed would run.  No clue why this happened, but last program I used was Skype -  beginning to not like that program as this is not the first time it has 'been in the neighborhood' when troubles arose - BUT, the FIX here was amazing!  THANK YOU.  (I did have to reboot before it worked - FYI) 
Keeping a copy of this one for the future!  EXCELLENT!!!!

Jude
27 Dec 2013 2:02 AM
#
Hi! I ran the Command Prompt as administrator and pasted: powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML and pressed Enter. I tried running the Store app afterwards, yet I still get the Store logo with the circle thing at the bottom. It did  not work. Have I done something wrong? I have tried restarting after doing what you said yet it was still not working. Is there another way to fix this?

Stelian
27 Dec 2013 5:22 AM
#
I ve got the same problem when i upgrade from windows 8 to windows 8.1, microsoft solitaire, mahjong games are not running anymore, screenshot with the program show up but it is not loading anymore, remain at a screenshot level without starting.
I apply your suggested comand on the run comand, something changed but still not working.
I ve checked also the system and it shown system as the owner.
Do you have another suggestion to sort out this matter?

Sam
28 Dec 2013 12:22 AM
#
the command did not give any error message nor solved the problem.
i can open and access the store but whatever the apps i install from store dosent work including skype. the apps closes after 5 seconds

Chaitub1
28 Dec 2013 12:35 AM
#
Hello, I just did it and my windows store wont open. Each time I open it it will automatically kick me out..
Please help me!
I even tried to restart my computer
Thanx in Advance

Prerna
29 Dec 2013 4:26 AM
#
it isn't giving an error but my problem remains the same. what do I do?

[email protected]
4 Jan 2014 4:56 PM
#
Hi,
I entered the code in and this is what I got.
----------
Add-AppxPackage : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'Register'.
+ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode - Register
$Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\Appx ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo     : InvalidArgument: (:) [Add-AppxPackage ], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
----------
So basically it did not work, please help.

fina
4 Jan 2014 10:53 PM
#
works for store & PC settings, love you!

Luis Cantero
5 Jan 2014 8:44 AM
#
@danielpostoronka: You need to use the command correctly. You entered a space between the dash and "Register". That's what the error message says.

andrew
5 Jan 2014 4:42 PM
#
your awesome

Aniket Vyas
6 Jan 2014 7:08 AM
#
Thanks a lot!! It worked....:)

chris
7 Jan 2014 4:53 AM
#
You are a legend - made a fix that all of microsoft couldn't!!

JohnNYC
8 Jan 2014 2:54 PM
#
thanks.  this definitely works. I wanted to install Nook for PC Windows 8.1 and I could not do that until I tried this command.

arslan
9 Jan 2014 4:26 AM
#
Thank you so much man, you are a real expert......

geneva
9 Jan 2014 6:48 AM
#
thanks sir your such amazing my p.c settings and apps store are running now.

MMP
9 Jan 2014 1:49 PM
#
This made my day!!!!

Jimmy Tobing
9 Jan 2014 11:08 PM
#
Thanks a lot. really save my time.

Store works, Can't get any apps to run.
10 Jan 2014 6:31 AM
#
Event viewer says this:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date:          11/01/2014 01:28:54
Event ID:      10016
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          KEVINCOBLEY-PC\Kevin Cobley
Computer:      KevinCobley-PC
Description:
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{5DC4F9AD-3A2B-4DF4-AC39-3FF5A19FCF4C}
and APPID
{CE79BC8B-2980-4CA9-9570-6E0BF5B93BF2}
to the user KevinCobley-PC\Kevin Cobley SID (S-1-5-21-2456438200-496891304-1501585615-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_2.1.1312.2401_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe SID (S-1-15-2-1985198343-3186790915-4047221937-1969271670-3792558349-1325541827-400269725). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="schemas.microsoft.com/.../event">
 <System>
   <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
   <EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID>
   <Version>0</Version>
   <Level>2</Level>
   <Task>0</Task>
   <Opcode>0</Opcode>
   <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
   <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-01-10T14:28:54.131736600Z" />
   <EventRecordID>9500</EventRecordID>
   <Correlation />
   <Execution ProcessID="860" ThreadID="9620" />
   <Channel>System</Channel>
   <Computer>KevinCobley-PC</Computer>
   <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2456438200-496891304-1501585615-1001" />
 </System>
 <EventData>
   <Data Name="param1">machine-default</Data>
   <Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
   <Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
   <Data Name="param4">{5DC4F9AD-3A2B-4DF4-AC39-3FF5A19FCF4C}</Data>
   <Data Name="param5">{CE79BC8B-2980-4CA9-9570-6E0BF5B93BF2}</Data>
   <Data Name="param6">KevinCobley-PC</Data>
   <Data Name="param7">Kevin Cobley</Data>
   <Data Name="param8">S-1-5-21-2456438200-496891304-1501585615-1001</Data>
   <Data Name="param9">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
   <Data Name="param10">Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_2.1.1312.2401_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe</Data>
   <Data Name="param11">S-1-15-2-1985198343-3186790915-4047221937-1969271670-3792558349-1325541827-400269725</Data>
 </EventData>
</Event>

Ralph
10 Jan 2014 7:48 PM
#
It still loads but will not go any further then that

Frankie Mondejar
12 Jan 2014 10:04 AM
#
You're Genius! Thank You Very Much! More Power and God Bless!!!!

tharindu from srilanka
12 Jan 2014 1:00 PM
#
thanx bro it worked thanx again =D

Brian
13 Jan 2014 6:35 PM
#
After hours of searching and trying about 6 things that didn't work: This one did, well done!

Osman Ishaque
14 Jan 2014 8:26 AM
#
I removed the G data antivirus and all is working fine now,

FamaMusick
15 Jan 2014 9:20 AM
#
it doesn't work for me
i am waiting until it ends , but when i try to run, nothing happened. the same problem

Pismotam
17 Jan 2014 12:28 AM
#
I've beat my head against the wall for weeks... this worked like a charm, but I'm so done. I'm sick of Win 8.1 Preview and re-imaging this machine back to Win 7. Never again will I jump on the OS bandwagon, I said that after ME, look where I am now... I can't take anymore.  At least this worked. HP Pavilion Dv7 laptop.

Rawad
18 Jan 2014 4:10 AM
#
YOU'RE A LIFE SAVER!

R Mahalingam
19 Jan 2014 9:51 AM
#
I tried this and still the Store is not working. The actual problem is it shows "installing ..." and after few seconds the app shuts down and goes to Start Screen. Tried multiple times and yet, the same result. Microsoft should have tested the 8.1 before releasing as apparently there are many other similar issues also, say for example my Mail does the same thing. In the middle it freezes and returns to Start Menu. Very disappointing....

IndyBlue93
19 Jan 2014 1:12 PM
#
I was not having trouble with my Windows Store app, but this post led me to find the solution to fixing another Windows Store app. Mark Hubenak's comment on this thread (from Dec. 11, 2013) solved my app problem without changing the registry or using refresh/reset! Many thanks to Luis and Mark for their help!
First, most of my Metro apps would not open after installing major system updates on a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet (Windows 8.1 preinstalled). I was able to fix this by uninstalling and then reinstalling every non-functioning Metro app from the Windows Store. I later installed the Barnes & Noble for Windows 8.1 app for the first time and discovered I could not get it to run past the log-in screen. Reinstalling the app did not fix it. I tried every suggestion I could find - nothing worked. I didn't feel competent to work on the registry and I didn't want to refresh/reset and have to reinstall all my non-Metro desktop type applications and system updates.
Following Mark's advice, I discovered the B&N app would install and run under a newly created User account on my tablet, so I deleted my Windows User account and created a new User account using the same email and password of my existing MS account. Make sure you have another Administrator account available to remove and add User accounts before you start. I already had my settings synced to my MS account and personal files backed up to an SD card on my tablet, so my desktop and most settings were restored to the new User account. I then installed the B&N app, which now worked! All I had to do was copy backup files to some applications and rearrange my start screen. I then deleted the test User and MS accounts. If you already have another User account on your device and they are able to install and run the problem app/s, you can just try deleting and then recreating your User account.
For those who have been unable to fix their Windows Store app using Luis's registry method, you might give this method a try.

NRK
19 Jan 2014 10:24 PM
#
Thank you so much, was looking for solution from last so many months after updating to 8.1

terbio camara
20 Jan 2014 7:47 PM
#
Great help! Settings, apps, store were inaccessible. No more now. After I have accessed store, I have re-installed the missing apps. Thank you, Cantero. From Brazil.

Javeed Hussain Jak
24 Jan 2014 8:07 AM
#
Thanqq for solving my problem.... Its working thanqqqq sooooo much...:-*

Marianna
24 Jan 2014 1:01 PM
#
My store didn't work but the Camera and Setting did and I am so happy :D my computer has been messed up since I got the windows 8.1 when it was in the store. So if you have any information on the store and possibly other apps that came on the computer (video's, photo's, mail etc) THANK YOU!!

Nilesh Kotiya
24 Jan 2014 2:17 PM
#
i have tried many things but didnt work
i can enter in store but the problem is when i keep any app for downloading, it is not getting downloaded and PENDING is coming written instead of DOWNLOADING. PLEASE HELP WHAT TO DO...??

J Arakelian
24 Jan 2014 10:47 PM
#
What a nightmare!!!! Does anything work in Win 8??? It is probably easier to go back to Win 7

sheik rafiq
25 Jan 2014 10:51 PM
#
I am able to open windows store but not able to open the application

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:19:13 am by Shane »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 10:30:53 am »
Did you try my Windows repair will all repairs selected yet? Also, if you havent done so yet, have you ran a chkdsk on the drive to look for bad sectors?

Shane

Offline EelkeNL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 09:52:43 am »
Thanks for the help guys/girls, but the errors persist:

@Boggin: i tried the Rollback option, but unfortunately it didn't work. Thanks for the links btw

@jhillman: i tried the command, but it gives a 0x0000142 error on start up of Powershell. So allas that's a dead end

@Shane: Yes i tried your repair tool in safe mode (awesome tool btw thanks), but around 41 it gave (again) a 0x0000142 error multiple times when i tried to start Powershell. After that it completed the repair, but i still have the same 0x0000142 errors. Also did checkdisk but it found nothing.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 10:22:35 am »
It's probably too late to try your restore points now - should have suggested that earlier, but now that you have or can create a Win 8.1 disk, have you tried Shane's steps for copying those files across ?

In Safe Mode with Networking can you run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth or the /scanhealth commands ?

The /scanhealth command should give you some info on what is wrong/corrupt.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 09:49:05 pm »
As a test, try creating a new user account and see how it does for the new account. :wink:

Shane

Offline EelkeNL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:03:39 am »
hey sorry for the late respone

@boggins: yes i can run them both in safemode (img.5 and log), the log said that there are 3 corrupted CSI Payload files (2 of them .dll). I have no clue if they are related, it's a bit above my tech skills. I still have to try the copypasting of the dll files, haven't got around to it yet (bit hectic with my paper) but i will.

@shane: i made another account but it gave the same errors (tested it with and without admin rights)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 06:49:40 am »
Boot up into Safe Mode with Networking again and run the command sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 01:04:02 pm »
You should run the dism in safe mode with networking because it will use windows updates to download any files it needs. :wink:

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 04:27:56 pm »
You should run the dism in safe mode with networking because it will use windows updates to download any files it needs. :wink:

Shane

Shane, did you mean to type "shouldn't" run dism commands in safe mode.. as WUs don't work in that mode ?

The reason I've suggested running those commands in that mode is because EelkeNL says he is no longer recognized as an admin.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 05:19:27 pm »
No you should, it doesnt use windows update like normal (At least from what I have seen, it will give an error if it doesnt work), it just downloads from their servers :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 05:52:36 pm »
The /restorehealth cmd was still unable to download those files even in Safe Mode etc. but may have better luck when copying them over.