Author Topic: Internet Explorer ver. 11 stops working (solved)  (Read 13228 times)

Offline VicTully

• View Profile
Internet Explorer ver. 11 stops working (solved)
« on: January 02, 2015, 11:15:08 am »
First, thanks for the software you provide and thanks for the forum.

I have a 8 core FX8350 with 8 GB RAM running Windows 7 Enterprise. My Internet Explorer is version 11. I can load IE and within 5-10 minutes, it quits working. This machine was completely reloaded no more than two weeks ago from a bare drive condition.
This is what comes up:

Internet Explorer has stopped working.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   IEXPLORE.EXE
  Application Version:   11.0.9600.17496
  Application Timestamp:   546fddcc
  Fault Module Name:   IEFRAME.dll
  Fault Module Version:   11.0.9600.17496
  Fault Module Timestamp:   546fe320
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   0013c177
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   fbd9
  Additional Information 2:   fbd9c168d1425becdf89ff4ffd60cbf5
  Additional Information 3:   72c4
  Additional Information 4:   72c4b5cab03d235783b944a47ad3f4e6

It allows me to restart IE and recover the page, but this get very annoying.

I have scanned the machine with Avast Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes porfessional, and herdProtect. I have used your Windows Repair (All-In-One), tried resetting IE with no add-ons, changed from GPU rendering to software rendering, and also changed to not running in protected mode. There are a few other things I have tried with no success.

Do you have any ides for me to try.

Thanks you in advance for any help you can suggest.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

vic
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:45:29 pm by VicTully »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer ver. 11 stops working
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 03:28:02 pm »
The first thing to try if you haven't already, is your restore points prior to this and had you downloaded anything immediately before ?

I assume you will have reset IE to defaults but have you also gone into Tools - Internet options - Connections - LAN settings and ensured that the Proxy server box is unchecked and just the top one is ?

Have you tried running IE as an administrator ?

Have you tried turning IE 11 off and then on after a reboot in Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off ?

It's best to have another browser installed before you do this.

Do you have any problems when using another browser ?

Do you get the same problem when booted up into Safe Mode with Networking ?

If not then see if you get the same problem with a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-gb

If it doesn't occur in Safe Mode with Networking but does occur in a clean boot then that would point to your AV program - else one of your Startup items or non MS services.

Anvi Browser Repair Tool can be an effective tool to resolve browser problems. http://download.cnet.com/Anvi-Browser-Repair-Tool/3000-18512_4-75835298.html

You can view what it will reset by clicking on the relevant icon in the left pane, but I just leave it at default settings although I have to reinstate my TalkTalk home page afterwards.

If the problem occurs in other browsers as well then open a command prompt as an admin by going Start > type cmd.exe > right click on cmd and select Run as administrator > accept the UAC and enter -

netsh winsock reset catalog

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Then reboot.

If it still isn't resolved after that then run a sfc /scannow command from an admin command prompt and see what that reports.

I would also expect to see something recorded in Event Viewer.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:39:39 pm by Boggin »

Offline VicTully

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:53:22 pm »
The first thing to try if you haven't already, is your restore points prior to this and had you downloaded anything immediately before ?

This would be very hard, as I am downloading all the time.

I assume you will have reset IE to defaults but have you also gone into Tools - Internet options - Connections - LAN settings and ensured that the Proxy server box is unchecked and just the top one is ?

Yes, this was done early on.

Have you tried running IE as an administrator ?

Have you tried turning IE 11 off and then on after a reboot in Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off ?

No. I can try this.

It's best to have another browser installed before you do this.

Using Google Chrome.

Do you have any problems when using another browser ?

No problems at all.

Do you get the same problem when booted up into Safe Mode with Networking ?

I haven't tried this.

If not then see if you get the same problem with a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-gb

Will do!

If it doesn't occur in Safe Mode with Networking but does occur in a clean boot then that would point to your AV program - else one of your Startup items or non MS services.

Anvi Browser Repair Tool can be an effective tool to resolve browser problems. http://download.cnet.com/Anvi-Browser-Repair-Tool/3000-18512_4-75835298.html

Thank you, will try this directly.

You can view what it will reset by clicking on the relevant icon in the left pane, but I just leave it at default settings although I have to reinstate my TalkTalk home page afterwards.

If the problem occurs in other browsers as well then open a command prompt as an admin by going Start > type cmd.exe > right click on cmd and select Run as administrator > accept the UAC and enter -

netsh winsock reset catalog

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Then reboot.

Will try this if the above doesn't solve the problem.

If it still isn't resolved after that then run a sfc /scannow command from an admin command prompt and see what that reports.

This has been done, but I will re-do it again.

I would also expect to see something recorded in Event Viewer.

Thank you so much for your input. I will try everything you suggest and get back to you as soon as I finish.
I appears I may have found the right place to come and ask.

Thanks again,

Vic

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:23:26 pm »
I know you said it is a new install on a bare drive, but I like to cover all the bases :-)

I want you to do a bad sector check on the drive. This way I can count out that one of the IE files is on a bad sector. I helped a user once for hours with a problem and it turned out to be the drive lol

Also of course make sure any and all add ones are disabled in IE, this way we can also count out that it is simply a add on that is crashing it.

Shane

Offline VicTully

• View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer ver. 11 stops working (solved)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 06:45:07 pm »
Thanks so much for everything. I checked the drive with your version of check disk that is in your AIO tweaking tool and with Glary Utilities. There are no errors on the drive. I believe the Boggin post mentioned something that may have fixed this problem. I ran Anvi-Browser-Repair-Tool and it seems to have fixed the problems. I tried to run IE11 in safe mode and had no problems. He suggested to run this software and it has apparently worked. I am using IE11 right now.

A big thank you to Boggin and also to you. Your site is a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks for everything.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:47:42 pm by VicTully »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer ver. 11 stops working (solved)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 02:25:30 am »
Glad that worked out for you and thanks for the update.

The fact that it worked okay in Safe Mode would suggest it was something on your computer that was causing the conflict, but I'll have to reinstall Anvi to refresh my memory of its settings.