Author Topic: Could use some really good advice with error code 0xc0000142  (Read 11074 times)

Offline zuke

• View Profile
Could use some really good advice with error code 0xc0000142
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:26:53 am »
Hello! So here is what has happened and what I have tried:

First of all I have an HP Envy that came with windows 8 and I upgraded the free 8.1 update. I have an AMD FX 6 core processor and 6 gigs of ram. I have 2 23in monitors with it.

So Saturday (Jan 24,2015) before going to bed I ran ccleaner free space wipe on the c drive which I have done in the past with no problem! I got up Sunday to start doing some work and it said the wipe completed successfully but there was also a bar that said that windows needed to restart.  I clicked OK and when it came back up I got the blue screen that said something went wrong and windows was gathering info and would restart and it had the 0xc0000142 code on the screen.

It got to 100% on gathering info but never restarted! I manually restarted and it just kept going to that screen with the same error code! Since then over the last 2 days I have been all over the net looking for solutions but have not seen anything like I am experiencing but tried some of the resolutions that have been mentioned with that error code.

I have done:
sfc /scannow - Sometimes it scans and says it found errors and fixed them and other times it said it could not run. When I reboot, it goes to the blue screen still!

chkdsk c: /a /r - It came back as good with no bad clusters or sectors found!

Went through the recovery environment and tried:
Boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt - in every case after you choose which one you want it restarts and just goes to blue screen!

Put in the recovery disks I made when I got the computer, when I restart it acts like it is going then I get a pop up that says I need to go into the UEFI and select to boot from options, but I already have the system set to boot from CD/DVD first!

I have tried to do a refresh from the recovery environment and it says it can't run!

I am trying to figure out if anything is possible before I have to try and reformat (which is going to be tricky too because I would have to do it from the disk I think and that's not letting me as mentioned above) because I have quite a few documents I can't afford to lose still on my C drive including my outlook PST files!

As of Monday night I have never been able to get to the desktop in any mode to run any software to scan for the issue

Any ideas? Thank you in advance

Zuke

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Could use some really good advice with error code 0xc0000142
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:08:01 am »
From what I can find on 0xc0000142, it means that a application cant start, on the BSOD did you also see 0xc000021a?

So from the sounds of it, ccleaner may have (Or something else) removed "The 0xc0000142 exception code indicates a DLL failed to initialize" So either registry info for the dll was removed, or the dll itself was removed.

I dont suppose the screen gave any more info did it? Any chance of taking a picture of the blue screen so I could read it?

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 12:55:31 am »
Hi, Shane, Would the ccleaner on cleaning would wipe the dll files from the system. So, cleaning with ccleaner is also posing risk of loosing the entire system .
                        But normally even browsing history accumulate to 30 to 100 mbs , in internet temp cache. If ccleaner removes any dll files, then it is better to opt only disk clean by windows. I hope windows would not delete system files.  Already i have seen a thread on audioserv lost with avg.
                             Please, Shane advise on use of cleaners also. I normally clean with ccleaner with their default settings of cleaning, application, registry and windows
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 12:58:21 am »
No matter how good the cleaner, there is always a chance something will go wrong. Because it is automated, and so some times things dont go according to how it would think and so the wrong file or registry key gets removed.

Ccleaner is pretty good about fixing things like that once they find out about it. But if a registry backup was done before hand then the registry could be restored.

Shane

Offline zuke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:48:19 am »
Hi Shane! Thanks for the reply! I guess I could take a picture of the screen but really all it says is "Something went wrong and windows could not start. We are gathering information to try and fix the issue and will restart when done. For future reference on the error look for error code 0xc0000142." I got this off the net, it is exactly the same except at the bottom where it lists the error to reference.
http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/windows8-bsod.png?75a050

Last night I unplugged every thing attached to the computer except my main monitor and the USB cord that has the little module that talks to my wireless keyboard.

I went into the boot options for HP (Can't rememer the key now) and followed their instructions on turning off UEFI and enabling legacy boot so I could try my recovery disks the system had me make when I first got it. 
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/847/c03668352.jpg

I then stuck my #1 recovery disk in and restarted the computer, it is I guess supposed to take you to the HP recovery manager and from what I have seen is supposed to look like this
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/904/c03536645.jpg
but mine only has one option in each side! Either system recovery or back up my files (Which I chose the other day but it picks what to back up)

I have booted again and again into safe mode and NEVER get to the desktop! I don't really care if I need to reformat the HD except I have got to find a way to save certain files in my documents and my PST files first because I can't lose those.

Is there any programs out there that I can download to a thumb drive/CD/DVD etc or connect via USB from my laptop to the desktop that will run a scan that can possibly diagnose what this flippin issue is? Do you have any suggestions that maybe will not cause me to have to reformat? I do have a Sony Vaio laptop with Vista on it.

P.S. Sorry for the hyperlinks but I am at work and that is the best I can do currently for images

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:54:13 am »
You could try creating and booting up with a Paragon Rescue Disk which can repair Boot sectors and may also allow you to back up your stuff.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-free/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:56:04 am by Boggin »

Offline zuke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 11:29:31 am »
Thanks! I'll give that link a look and see what it has to offer.  I have run those bootrec strings in the bios and it came back as good so I don't know if it just didn't pick up the bad sectors or if it really isn't the boot sectors.  But thanks for the info.

Zuke

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 12:33:58 pm »
ccleaner should have made a backup reg file of the stuff it removed or changed. I wouldn't mind getting that file from you so I can take a look at it. But you need to be able to get to the files on the drive. You could use a rescue cd and get the file that way.

Shane

Offline zuke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:54:28 pm »
LOL! Shane you would have to give me some guidance on that as I have never used one or made one.  Did you read my last post about what steps I took last night? I posed two questions in it that you might be able to shed some light on.  It is the 5th post from the top. Thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 04:57:46 pm »
You can grab the ubuntu ISO image here.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you/?version=14.04.1&architecture=amd64

Then you can use a program like imgburn to burn the image to a dvd, or better yet, since it is faster, you can have it put on a usb thumb drive and boot off of it. The thumb drive is a lot faster than a dvd.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Then once you are booted off of the usb it will come up with ubuntu, it will ask if you want to install it or try it. Choose try it. It will run the OS right off the usb drive and allow you to access the files on the system.

Shane