Author Topic: Vista Startup problems  (Read 60914 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Vista Startup problems
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2015, 03:12:02 pm »
That ISO is a dvd image of the Vista setup disk that already has SP2 part of it, so when you install SP2 is already on it.

It isnt a factory install, it is the normal, fresh, nothing extra install. But if you do a repair install with it you can keep your programs and a repair install would be the first one to try. If it doesnt fix it then a fresh install (You wipe everything) would be the last resort.

The reason why you need a normal install disk with sp2 already on it is because a repair install is basically doing an upgrade to the same version. So you cant have a setup disk that isnt as current as the system, in this case SP2.

But the repair install is easy once you have the disk, you just follow this
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

Shane

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2015, 03:28:43 pm »
Thanks, Shane. This is totally new ground for me so I will print off the info in the latest link. I will start in the morning and\take it from there.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2015, 03:43:08 pm »
Hello Boggin, as you can see Shane has thrown me a lifeline so that will be the action set for tomorrow morning. I found a PS\2 mouse in my stock box a little while ago so will try that as a taster to see if a difference is made. Although I have been into computing for quite a long time, Tandy TRS 80, Amstrad, Amiga and in 2000 MS I have never had any problems where I have had to delve deep. I admit I relied on my son for things that were beyond me as he did a 9 month college course and obtained a few certificates on the way. He got married and moved not too far away but I do not see him as much. I shall be 80 at the end of this year and perhaps a birthday present of a new computer would be a nice present! :wink:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2015, 04:00:59 pm »
Hello Boggin, as you can see Shane has thrown me a lifeline so that will be the action set for tomorrow morning. I found a PS\2 mouse in my stock box a little while ago so will try that as a taster to see if a difference is made. Although I have been into computing for quite a long time, Tandy TRS 80, Amstrad, Amiga and in 2000 MS I have never had any problems where I have had to delve deep. I admit I relied on my son for things that were beyond me as he did a 9 month college course and obtained a few certificates on the way. He got married and moved not too far away but I do not see him as much. I shall be 80 at the end of this year and perhaps a birthday present of a new computer would be a nice present! :wink:

Perhaps a few hints to your son about how much trouble you've had with this one may get the penny to drop  :smiley:

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2015, 04:17:01 pm »
Good idea. The earlier I drop the hint the more time it will give him to start saving for it! Thanks for your input re my computer situation.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2015, 06:05:39 pm »
Hello Boggin, I have just powered down and inserted the PS\2 mouse and restarted. During the restart when the mouse cursor appeared I was able to move it with both mice. On completion of booting up there was no indication of new device found etc. Device Manager showed the PS\2 driver intact and working ok. I will be able to gauge if there will be any effect on the first bootup of the day in about 8 hours time.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2015, 01:05:50 am »
I think you would only have gotten notification when a new 3rd party device is plugged in, but the PS/2 adapter is practically part of the system so other than Windows reinstating the driver, it was using built in technology.

It would be similar if when using a wireless mouse or other USB device and you pulled the USB and then plugged it back in - you'd hear the bdumps but no notification as it was using an existing driver - but hope it has cured the hang on boot.

I don't know if having two types of mouse plugged in would have any affect, but now that it doesn't have to struggle with the PS/2 driver you shouldn't need the PS/2 mouse plugged in - although you could try the boot with just each plugged in.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2015, 02:01:00 pm »
Hello Shane, I have not yet proceeded with the iso file situation as I would first like your opinion on the following:
I started afresh with the CBS.log situation. I selected C Drive properties/tools and ticked the two boxes check system files and scan for bad errors. Nothing showed amiss. I then used the scannow function. The end result was the last line in the log that read
 "2015-02-11 20:36:24, Info   CSI  000001f2 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired" Would you still advise the use of the resulting DVD made from the iso file? I have not turned off the computer and restarted again to see if there has been an improvement in the loading time but will know on the first startup of the day tomorrow. The first startup of the day today was at 4.15 pm (I did not get to bed until 4.00am this morning) and that took a continuous run of 31 minutes before the power light came on followed by two attempts of the computer to auto bootup and then the choice screen coming up from which I chose Start Normally with the computer finally booting up ok, totalling 45 minutes from start to finish. I have, since this bootup installed MS windows updates and restarted ok within 9 minutes, though this was before the chkdsk and sfc actions. As you can see by my convo with Boggin the PS\2 driver problem has not arisen since the plugging in of a PS\2 mouse. Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2015, 02:51:06 pm »
You could try booting up into the Advanced Boot options by tapping F8 (usually) as you switch on and select Repair your Computer then navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Startup Repair to see if that comes up with anything - although I've never really seen it achieve anything.

Or, you could create a bootable Paragon Rescue Disk http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-free/

This is really for when you can't boot up at all but it does have a Boot Corrector as well as other tools you could let it run through.

Click on the Downloads & Manuals link on the left and you can download a tutorial for it.

You will need to change the Boot order which you can do a one off by usually tapping F12 as you switch on, but when you switch on normally you will see which keys apply to your machine.

It is usually F2 for Set up which is the BIOS and F12 for the Boot order change but look carefully the next time you boot up, although the time it is taking to boot up, you may have plenty of time to read what it gives.

Select ODD (DVD player) insert the disk and press enter.

The disk may boot straight up or you could get a prompt to press any key to boot from CD/DVD

Did the sfc /scannow report that it had repaired all files or just some at the end of its scan ?

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2015, 03:02:13 pm »
Hello Boggin,
"All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired" I shall wait until Shane responds as he may deem the iso file is not required although I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if startup has improved timewise. It will be too late tonight as I must get an early night. I shall leave the PS\2 mouse plugged in as it can be a backup.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2015, 03:30:29 pm »
You can get that message at the bottom of the CBS log even when the scan has reported that it was unable to repair all files and is why I asked what it reported on the completion of its scan.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2015, 03:54:50 pm »
I would still do the repair install no matter what.

Shane

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2015, 04:08:02 pm »
OK, Shane, will do so tomorrow. Thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2015, 04:10:39 pm »
Do a backup before hand just in case. Even though it is suppose to keep your files, you never know if something will go wrong, so better safe than sorry :-)

Shane

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2015, 08:00:46 am »
Hello Shane, I have backed up C and D drive to an ext usb hdd using Acronis. I noticed that Acronis does not backup certain files on the C drive as they appear empty on the backup. I used double driver to backup drivers also to the backup drive. Reading the directions of using the iso file burned to a dvd has made me tentative as I cannot grasp every step. I will wait until my son visits and get him to do it. I have no master disks at all and have nothing to fall back on if there is a failure and reading some of the comments users have experienced worries me further still.  I shall let you know the outcome. Thanks for your help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2015, 11:39:25 am »
Grab imgburn if you havent yet
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html

Put in a blank dvd-r into your dvd burner. Then open imgburn and choose write image file to disk. Then when you click that click the browse button and choose the iso file you downloaded and thats it, have it start the burn process.

Once done you should see the files on the dvd disk inside my computer. Is so follow the directions I gave you :-)

Shane

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2015, 11:18:16 am »
Hello Shane I have already made the disk. Do I click on setup and select repair mode from a menu? Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2015, 12:03:59 pm »
Follow the instructions on the page i gave you :-)

Shane

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2015, 12:25:17 pm »
okay, Shane. I have read but still cannot grasp the info so will have to get my son to do it for me. Thanks.