Author Topic: (solved)Why booting on stops at intel sign?  (Read 39208 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
(solved)Why booting on stops at intel sign?
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:07:33 pm »
Hi,
                  I have already written about my friend failed hard disk and how i recovered from a fresh os installation. When i removed and tried to install the windows with other computer connection, everything restored including the fresh os installation.
                              But when he connect this new installed OS hard disk to his computer, then when boots it boots and stops at intel sign. When pressed delete to enter to bios, the screen shows intel booting with ... mark. The initial intel desktop board boot screen. I could not capture . It says something that legacy boot detected and stops at that. It does not go to the windows. Why this? How to rectify this error? When installed and seen from other computer everything appears, i stress appears normal, but when he connects to his computer the same hard disk it stops at intel sign. Is there any boot managers fault or some other thing.
                    Update; I also tried to connect his hard disk with my computer, and it hangs at the same point. Intel logo. When i press delete, it does not go to bios, instead to the intel desktop logo as in command prompt, saying starting.... , but nothing more than that
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:09:11 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why booting on stops at intel sign?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 12:58:29 am »
Did you activate the OS installation on another computer, as that could have tied the licence to that hardware.

Regarding the Legacy boot, you may have the option to change that to UEFI in the BIOS or you may have to download and save the BIOS onto another computer to copy across and install, but I think Shane will have more experience in this to guide you - it isn't something I've ever needed to do.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 01:09:06 am »
Hi, Boggin,
                    I will wait for Shane. But as per his advice only, i tried to install the OS from other computer by making boot priority by DVD drive. The OS was successfully installed there and i could view the other drives with contents showing in the Installation stage.
                         Having removed the same and tried to boot from my friend's computer, it stopped at intel logo. I tried with my computer, by connecting,(disconnecting my hdd), the computer stops at boot post, ie intel logo. It does not go to the BIOs also. It stops at intel logo when i press the delete key also. When it reads my hdd, normally it should read also his hdd. Now i hope you understand the strangeness. There was a thread in this regard. The link will be posted when i edit or post next.
Update: the link is here
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,2751.0.html

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 02:57:09 pm »
I didnt mean for you to install the OS on another system, that doesnt really work. but it did confirm that the problem isnt the hard drive and that the hard drive is fine.

Are you able to get into the bios at all on the troubled system?

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 06:03:37 pm »
Hi,
             When i tried that Os Installed hard disk with my computer bios, i could not get in to bios. It stops at Intel sign. But when i reconnect, my hard disk, there is no problem in booting. Is it not strange? The same ram, the same mother board of mine with his hard disk would stop at intel sign, whereas it allows past boot post with my hard disc.
                       I could not go to bios , as i have already pointed out, if i press del , it shows the intel boot screen, showing that it is starting..... thats all.
                  I have just disconnected my hard disc and used the same power and data cable for connection

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 02:15:38 pm »
OK so when the hard drive is hooked up the motherboard pretty much hangs up while trying to detect it. Normally this would point to be a bad drive. BUT you said you where able to put the drive into another system with no problems?

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 10:19:13 pm »
Hi, yes. I do not know why this behaves.
                        If i use my hdd drive with the same ram and bios, it works. But when I connect that already installed OS hdd, it does not go past POST .
                              I will send the details regarding my bios menu as it shows and selected in my next post.  would it be because of BIOs. Should one has to remove the cmos to default bios settings and then try that. Why it is not moving past BIOS. I checked the same Hdd with the first computer where the OS was installed and also in my computer, after it is installed correctly. I could also see the contents of other drives when c: was formatted and reinstalled.
                                Yesterday, i again went to the Bios made in my computer and changed the dvd as first priority and then inserted the dvd to try install again. But it would not go past POST. When i connect the installed hdd, i got the error " Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" It repeats itself after some wait.  What it denotes? I will post my bios details.
                     update:               Should i position the hdd in the slots and not outside the computer while checking the hdd drive, as the bios shows the slotwise information in slots in boot configuration menu in bios. Should i not connect the same outside the computer by connecting the same with the other computers power and data card.
                                      Shoud SATA and PaTa have to be checked? is it not auto detect. I tried to boot with the hdd as priority. But it hangs at POST, not moving an inch further, set up starting..... screen
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:36:19 pm by jraju »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 11:54:06 am »
Make sure you hook the drive up like it would normally be in the computer, try not to use any externals if you can just so we can try to trace down why the bios is locking up when looking for the drive.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 07:32:31 pm »
Hi, Shane,
                   Strange. I asked the same question to Leo and surprised to receive a reply to the effect, it may not success in booting when OS is installed  thro other computer. His exact words  "The OS install needs to happen on the computer in which the drive is to remain installed".
                             Does that mean Ram has some memory remained static, so it blocks. Out of 1024 mb ram, 1016 is the read memory, when silent boot is disabled. So, if i remove the ram and reseat it and then also remove cmos battery and try would it work?
Shane, one more thing, i have a clip attached to cmos coin battery?. Is there any easy idea how to eject the same, so that bios could be reset. There is a slight grip on the battery to hold. Please.
                            Leo words mean that OS could not be installed to the hard drive, in another computer. Is that correct.
                                  I will try your suggestion also to place the hard drive in the slot and try
Update: Could the difference in  mother board drivers for the computer that installed OS  and the computer of my friend be the reason for not allowing this.
                                  Normally, when we attempt to install windows thro our computer, the mother boards are  one and same.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:08:47 pm by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 12:24:46 am »
I've already told you the reason why installing an OS onto a HDD on a different computer to the target one will not work when you insert the HDD into the target computer and that is because when you activated it, it registers the motherboard and there will be different drivers.

I think you will need to reformat the disk, reinstall the OS but don't use the product key until you've put the HDD back into the target computer.

This will give you 30 days in which you have activate it, but if the key doesn't now work, then you will need to contact MS for activation.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 12:30:17 am »
Hi, Excellent wealth of information.
                  But trying to format with the dvd , also does not work, as it is failing at POST stage itself. Is that anything to do with hard disk failure.

Or should i change the BIOs settings other than boot priority. Because it does not go past POST.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 12:38:36 am »
If you are able to boot up with the install disk, you may be able to do the Upgrade install - not sure if the Custom install would work as you're supposed to do that within Windows, but you could give both a try which may negate the need to try and reformat.

When you get to the MS splash screen select Install and follow the prompts from there.

I'm going to have to go now because I have a busy morning but either install is going to take a couple of hours.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 12:43:19 am »
Hi,
                  No. Only I want to test from dvd and not from running windows to test that hard disk.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 12:51:57 am »
While newness doesn't guarantee serviceability, I think the new HDD will be fine and it's because of the change of hardware that is causing it not to boot.

If you can connect it to your computer as an additional drive and it recognizes it - check its drive letter either in Windows Explorer or Disk Management then open an admin command prompt and enter chkdsk x: /r where x is the drive letter, that should do the disk check on it.

Really have to go now.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 11:44:52 am »
The OS needs to be installed on the same system. But that isnt the problem right now, it isnt even getting to that part. When it is at the intel sign is when the bios is checking the hardware, it hasnt even started trying to boot windows. So the windows install and drivers have no effect at this point.

Normally when the bios is locking up like that it is because of a bad setting, bad hardware or perhaps a bad cable. I had a new ssd drive I put into a older system and the bios would freeze up trying to detect it, so I found their was a firmware update for the ssd that fixed that problem and after putting the firmware on the drive the system was fine.

That is simply an example how it can be a number of different things. Normally I would say it is the hard drive, but since the drive can be put in another system and it is detected fine tells me the drive is ok.

So that means we need to check what else the bios is looking at and how the drive is plugged in.

Here is what I would do, take the drive out, turn on the system and go into the bios. There is normally a setting to hide the boot up logo and instead show what the bios is doing, that way you can see at what part it is stopping at when it freezes up. :wink:

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 05:02:33 pm »
As you say it's when it gets to the Intel sign that is when the BIOS starts checking the hardware - because this install was registered on different hardware, won't that be why it's hitting a brick wall ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 05:44:33 pm »
Hi, Shane , I have done that. I have disabled silent booting and i could see the Intel logo , first checking the ram to 1016 mb and then it asks for F2 to resume setup, when i press F2, it goes to the same screen, set up starting...
This is when it freezes. As it detects ram, there is no problem there.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 01:12:39 am »
I think you'd probably get the same results if you put your own HDD into any other computer.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 01:41:08 am »
Hi, I tried and succeeded in having saved the bootable usb. But i could not make that as boot priority to check , as there were no option to show in boot priority. But when i checked the hard drive , i could see the pendrive is listed next to hard drive. But , if you select this pendrive and then boot, your computer hangs in the middle with error F/boot/bcd error. I again made the hard drive as priority and i could boot properly.
                                     i will try to reseat the cmos and ram and then try to boot from dvd , by connecting that hard drive.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 08:17:59 pm »
Hi, Shane ,
                       Should i disconnect the present hard drive and just try boot with ram and mother board connections to see the bios. I am learning from you on booting.
                            I tried usb win tool, it stops at 99%, and even after formatting and repartitioning it , it stops at 99%, with some error.
                               I think that bootexec has to be inserted in to the pen drive. It is not found in the usb tool.
                                     I tried some other tool like plp boot manager, and trying with admin , the window boot starts as first priority, but since the present hard drive is working at the try, i could not do so at boot. My bios has support of usb boot, but I think that is for keyboard and mouse and not any other thing.
                                       If i click boot , and then sub menu Hard drive, the hard drive and pen drive are shown in that menu, but not in the boot order.
                                           Shane, could i change the hard drive boot to pendrive, by connecting the suspected failed hard drive and then boot? For learning purpose, as well as, to trouble shoot , i seek your advice.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 07:03:08 pm »
Hi, Shane Please also see this
AHCI is supported by all versions of Windows Vista and newer, Linux and Mac OS. However, Windows does not configure itself to load the AHCI driver upon boot if the SATA-drive controller was not in AHCI mode at the time of installation. So the PC will not boot up if the SATA controller is later switched to AHCI mode. The drive controller should be changed to AHCI or RAID before installing the operating system.   extract, my comment                   Sata is a big tape like wire connecting with HDD, unlike ide , which is like ribbon like one. My system has ribbon like ide cable.
                                     If suppose, the OS was installed in the other computer using different modes, then the computer would not boot.
                                       If suppose, the other computer has sata when OS installed, and while transfering to my computer, since i have the ide, would this be responsible?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 03:41:09 pm »
It is hard to tell you what the next thing to do is given how much you have done already and without me being able to see the machine.

We need to take the hard drive out of the mix so that we can confirm if it is the problem or not.

Do you have another, good drive that you can put into the system and see if it will boot past the intel sign? Reason why is if the port that the hard drive is plugged into is bad it would explain what is happening, but a drive can cause this as well. So if we try with a different drive, in the same port that can confirm if the problem is that or not. :wink:

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 08:24:29 pm »
Hi, Shane,
                       If i connect the system, to another hard drive , it is booting without any problem.
                             I found a seagate tool, a diagonostic cd tool which self boots when power on , and stops at intel logo. If i remove the hard drive, then it goes past POST, and show the diagnostic tool in the monitor.So, there is some problem in Hard drive. If i connect and touch the top of HDD, i could feel something drirring , suggesting that power is passing to the hdd, but it could not do anything. I think it is spinning, that indicates some life in it.
                                   Placing the dead hard disk to a freezer is one of the idea , to retrieve the data. But i do not thing it as a solution. Most people suggest in forums. They say somehow it shrinks the inner of HDD and may give some inner medicine to boot. I do not know.
                                          I tried with xp cd in the hope that mobo drivers of the computer may be different and since mother board drivers are also installed at the installation stage, my friends mobo may be different from the one from which OS got installed.
                                             My next try is to connect this hdd to usb-ide adopter and then check whether any recognition of hdd in running windows.
                                                   The extreme try to get another ide cable and power cable to connect the same to the available port in  mobo and the failed, hdd.
                                                         My point is , how then the whole OS was installed using the other machine. Do the modern boards have any special bios. I will give the bios detail, default, (i, removed the cmos and replaced it , there by restoring the optimal defaults of bios , including opting F9 in bios menu to do that.
                                           Shane, by the by, what is flashing of bios. I never did that so far. Is it dangerous.
                                              So many hard disks , according to experts  really have life, but they are thrown as dead drives because of want of some mechanism tb]. [/b]If one opens the hard disk, nothing but some spinning wheels and circuit would be there. Tho see [ere are programs to boot from cd to test, but if it does not pass thro hdd, nothing could be done. I suppose,
                                              Does flashing means connecting bios file to the computer by powering on

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:27:59 pm by jraju »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 08:49:25 am »
Well if you can connect a different hard drive and it gets past the intel logo fine, but freezes up on the current hard drive then that tells me it should be the hard drive itself that is causing the problem. The confusing part is the fact that you could plug the drive into another system and you could boot it up.

What I would do is hook the drive into another system as a secondary drive, then use the seagate tools (If it is a seagate drive) and have it run the tests on it and check the smart status of the drive and let me know the results.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 05:49:35 am »
Hi, It was when i installed the OS. I think there is definitely problem in hard drive. Regarind ide connection of jumpers, i only know little. Sata no problem, but ide you have to select jumpers for master and slave and this involves lot.
                       When it was just hooked up with another drive, i could have asked the person just to format it instead of installing anything.
                                   I tried just plugging 2 cables of power and data to the mother board , but it is not recognised. On seeing the notes, the jumpers part.