Author Topic: (solved)Why booting on stops at intel sign?  (Read 39203 times)

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Why booting on stops at intel sign?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 08:59:56 am »
I find that the easiest way of setting the jumpers on PATA IDE HDDs is to use an 80 wire ribbon cable and set the jumpers on both drives to cable select (CSEL). This way the only variable is the position on the cable where the drive is connected. Blue connects to the primary IDE channel on the motherboard, Black for the master, grey for the slave.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:15:12 am by Samson »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 09:56:50 pm »
My god, that didnt even cross my mind. :tongue:

I am so use to sata drives now I didnt even pay attention it was a IDE 25 pin connection drive, and yes if the jumpers are not set properly it can cause the bios to lock up.

Shane

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 04:46:50 pm »
My god, that didnt even cross my mind. :tongue:

I am so use to sata drives now I didnt even pay attention it was a IDE 25 pin connection drive, and yes if the jumpers are not set properly it can cause the bios to lock up.

Shane

Some of us still live in a "Legacy World"  :shy:

I actually picked up a few PATA HDDs recently, new but old stock, for a few quid each....Seagates  and WDs, 8MB caches so even a slight performance boost too  :wink:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 08:13:53 pm »
Hi, Shane, Boggins and Samson

The curious part of the puzzle is not over. When i just check with other computer, the hard disk is recognised. It boots with the already installed windows installation and i could access all the drives and files. but , hooked at my friends computer, it still hangs on intel sign.  So the problem is not bad cable, memory but i think that bios may be the thing to took out.  It is seagate, an it recognises in other computer. Now for sure, the hard disk is alive and had no problem.
                                          I checked the other computer bios. It is intel , but have different menus. But other hard drives are detected with the same cable and memory and bios, except this one. What would be the problem? Is it not strange. Could be bios be updated with downloads or one should flash it?

The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 11:52:48 pm »
pl find enclosed bios settings.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 11:58:52 pm »
hi, Please see the bios setting

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 03:50:59 am »
Hi Jraju,

I am confused  :confused:

Can you clarify, are all those screen shots from your friend's PC? (I thought that you could n't get into the BIOS).

Is the WD SATA HDD, the original "failed" drive?

Have you installed the OS (on another PC) onto a Seagate PATA HDD, that is recognised in another machine, but not in his/ hers?

Is the PATA IDE controller enabled in the bios of the machine in the screenshots?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:01:12 am by Samson »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 11:55:22 pm »
In the last image I only see sata drives listed, Pata would be the IDE drive, and it doesnt show anything.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 01:09:41 am »
Hi, Samson,
                        I know that it is something in bios setup that I get the problem.
                         I tried to short the cmos battery and removing the battery etc, but still it stops at intel sign.
                              I think that the above would lead to the factory setting of bios. Still the problem persists.
                                       My friend has given the hard disk to me and i am testing that in my computer.
                                             I also heard that the update failure of bios would be the reason for this sort of behaviour.
                                                   While i reset the cmos , i should get the factory bios set up. So, problem should not be there.
                                                      I tried legacy option in the boot menu, but nothing new happening.
                                                            To my puzzle, in legacy setting, (another one enhanced), the present hard drive failed. When i correct to enhanced mode the wd hard drive boot normally.
                                                        I clearly suspect that it is in bios settings that it gives the problem.
                                                              I also read that update version of bios , it goes to sleep mode, if boot up and there is some problem in that latest update. But in factory settings also the problem is not solved.
                                                               If i thought of jumper replacing and flashing thro bios, there is risk of creating bootable usb to flash the files. there is no floppy disk usage now. No floppy disc availabe in market also.
                                                                 When i tried the update, with recommended settings , the bios update by eb.exe, gave me successful installation message.
                                                                     I think that there is a setting in bios that must be changed to something to get the hard drive life.
                                                                      Intel stopped support for this product and it is waste of time to get support from intel. They never listen to complaints.
                                                                        Above all, my initial system was xp and the drivers for xp, sometime gives problem if i upgrade to win 7.
                                                                          I have mother board cd with me from intel. But i do not find it goes to the intel download screen. I get internal error . Shane, is the bios file not present in mother board cds.
                                                                             Why i am not getting notification of repllies in my email for the past two days?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 01:14:28 am »
Hi, Samson,
                     The problematic hard disk is seagate hard disk 250 gb. I am testing that in my computer to find the problem. what is legacy settings. I have some 5options in the settings in the latest bios. Which should i choose. I will write the options in the next post.
                                 Why  i am not getting email alerts of replies, which i was receiving .

Update: When i select legacy mode in the drive configuration
                            I get 4 options, of which i do not know which to select,
                            a   sata p0/p2,p1/p3,
                             b    sata p1/p3,pata
                              c      sata p0/p2,pata
                                 d   pata only
                               how to check whether bios is in factory settings, after removing cmos, and short circuit the cmos ends. When i did i get , cmos date not set message, while booting.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:36:05 am by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 04:46:34 am »
Hi jraju,

From your screenshot above it looks like you choose option "c", sata p0/p2, pata.

Can you confirm that the Seagate HDD is PATA and you have set the jumpers correctly and put it at the end of the 80 wire ribbon cable?

Do you have "Notify me of replies" checked or unchecked here on this forum?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 03:54:57 am »
Hi,
           Notify me of replies is the default settings. Still the problem persists. Why, Shane :thinking:
                         Hi, Samson,  I now have it in enchanced mode, which enable both sata and pata.
                              I tried to install the windows, by going to the drive and clean install after formatting. The window loaded, but after accepting the terms, i get the error a required driver from cd dvd is missing. error. It is a load driver error.
                        When i have chosen the repair install, i could get the command prompt, but when i type diskpart and then check list. It shows there is no fixed disk to show error. I tried xp installation but it hangs at intel logo.
    update: the seagate is sata hdd.
                             I surfed the net and seagate has given a firmware update, for a problem in this model, that the data could be intact, but hard drive would not be accessed when poweron, or when the disk is passing certain limits, . I have also addressed them. They have published a fix, but i do not know, how firmware update could be done, if the drive is not recognised, ie supposedly dead drive
Link:Mine is 7200.12 model, and this is also affected, even though not mentioned in the article
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds002013
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:03:07 am by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 04:27:27 am »
Hi jraju,

I really am confused now  :confused:

I thought that the Seagate was a PATA HDD? (Why all the talk about jumper settings, master/ slave in your previous posts?).

Perhaps the installation media is damaged/ corrupt.

Sounds like the drive is "iffy" at best. Even if you get it running would you really be confident in its longevity?

If it were me, I'd look at getting a known good HDD, and  known good installation media in order to take this further  :wink:

Then try a clean install on the original machine that you are trying to sort out, I can't see that all this switching/ swapping drives around to and fro between different machines is ever going to work out.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 08:51:12 pm »
Hi, Samson,
                       Yes you are correct. I did not know about the intricacies of bios. My mother board has 4 sata ports, and 2 pata ports. I come to know that Pata only has the jumpers, and Sata is advanced and no need to set jumpers. Thanks for your guide.
                       I used seagate dos tool to basic test, which passed and subsequently cleaned zero, c: partition and then full  . It took almost 3 hours to clean all the lba and i could now see the hard disk in bios and could boot with installation dvd.
                             No errors up to the point of formatting and partitioning of the hard drive. It started windows installation , it copied the files to the system. But when expanding stage, ie , second stage , it hanged at 0% and i waited for 25 minutes, whether it will progress further. It seems to be in a loop, trying to expand, but could not. The yellow light indicator of hard disk seems to be without any blinking , to show that there was nil activity. Normally, if it works, it blinks, i think. I stopped but it hanged in the same loop. I had to switch off the system to stop the loop process. Any idea?
                                   secondly, if i want to connect as a storage disk, could i just plug in power and data cable to the available sata port in mother board. I tried, but i could not see the drive in bios or in the drive configuration menu in the bios settings. The computer boots with the other hard drives OS, but no sign of the hard disk i inserted newly. Pl any link would be appreciated

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 01:08:17 am »
Hi, one and all
                         The problem was solved. I got back the supposed hard drive. If you do not surf the net for minute details, you will not be able to recover. I installed windows also in it for my friend. I partitioned and now everything is fine.
                         The crux of the matter is i have to copy sata drivers, which has been destroyed, when my friends hard disk hanged at intel logo. The mother board is having all the bios update. But minus sata drivers, which is essential for recognising the hard disk, a sata seagate hard disk. This you could browse, if you know the exact location from the dvd, when load drivers error occurs, or as copied to the pendrive during instllation. It will be shown in the pen drive and it will list all the drivers. We need sata drivers and we should select those sata named drivers, about 2 in the list. Once you select, it automatically download the same and the error is gone. Now the hard disk is recognised if it is not really dead.
                              Secondly, by using simple method of usb installation, you could avoid scratches dvd or drive, the installation will be very smooth.
                               Pata or Sata, i do know only little. The technicians simply dispose it off as dead drive. But i had other idea. I could see some spinning. I tried seatool to erase and then did the above to restore my friends hard disk. SEagate dos tool made it possible. The drivers if not corrupted would not pose problem. Usb installation is quicker and without any flaw. dvd drive hanged at 0% in expanding file stage. Thanks for all the help for every one.
the file name is f6fly.zip or something, it is very crucial if you have sata hard disk
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:11:02 am by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: (solved)Why booting on stops at intel sign?
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 03:12:46 am »
Hi Jraju,

Good news to hear that you sorted it  :smiley:

I'd image the working disk, so as to save time if/ when it fails again  :wink:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2015, 12:50:08 am »
Hi, Samson,
                          How to do it. Would you please share the trick.
                             Normally, every hard disk producer would have some tools like seagate.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 04:21:45 am »
Yup Seagate has this.....
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/acronis_true_image_seagate_edition_software_%28discwizard%29.html
I've never used it, so cannot comment.

Personally I use this one....
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html
Easy to use, good support and free.

Addendum

If you go with Macrium, then be sure to create a rescue CD/USB (Win PE) and test it.
After you have created an image, then verify it.
Also, if you have no external HDD, then an image of a clean install of XP with all updates, drivers etc will fit nicely on a single DVD  :wink:.
In the event of needing to use your saved image, then you can be back up and running in 10 to 15 minutes  :smiley: A whole bunch quicker than reinstalling, doing all those updates etc.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:46:10 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 10:04:34 pm »
Hi,
samson
                      Thanks for tips. But I want  how to use it. Just select c: to image, would it be enough?
                            what do you mean by rescue cd..dvd for using this program. Could i take the other drives as well. I have not tried this imaging and so I ask you.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 03:59:02 am »
If "C" is your only drive/ partition, then yes that is fine.
You need the rescue media in order to boot the machine in the event of wanting to reinstall an image. In Macrium Reflect, this is listed under "Other Tasks" tab.

A few guides....
http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50074.aspx

http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/How_to/Rescue/Create_a_Standard_Windows_PE_Rescue_Environment.htm

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 01:14:11 am »
is cloning different from what you are saying.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 03:43:01 am »
Pretty much the same really, except....Cloning will copy to another HDD so that disk will be bootable and available as an immediate replacement. Disk imaging will save an image that can be used to create a bootable HDD for use later.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 03:50:59 am »
Thanks samson,
                             Will you say how to clone c:, which contains the operating system.
                                 One more question: If suppose, one has the same operating system, say, win 7, could he be able to access the other hdd, if he is connecting with power and data cable in the same system as a additional hard disk.
                                If suppose, if he could access that drive, will the format could be done easily, by using format menu like you format d: e: f: etc.
                                   would another power and data cable and mother board slot are enough.
                                       I am learning new things from this forum and especially on hardware and sounds, i am learning a lot from you . Thanks

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 03:58:57 am »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 04:01:01 am »
regarding cloning ok.
                               But what about my subsidiary queries