Author Topic: Is my hard drive dying? [Solved]  (Read 55721 times)

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
Re: Is my hard drive dying?
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 08:49:43 am »
Thanks Boggin, I am very happy with the results, Thanks for your help and for being so persistant!  :wink:
Joe K
Learn by Trial and Error (Lots of Error)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is my hard drive dying?
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 09:13:20 am »
That's alright  :smiley:

If you're happy you can modify your thread title to include SOLVED.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:15:30 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Is my hard drive dying? [Solved]
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2015, 05:05:51 pm »
Good work Boggin sticking through and helping.

Thats my kind of fellow tech  :artist:

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2015, 12:55:48 am »
Thanks Shane - the good feedback from JMK helped, but I am still puzzled where that Windows Host Process came from that Windows found as a performance issue.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:58:49 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 04:05:15 am »
Hi,
             Another way of testing the hard drive with command prompt, without using any tool by manufacturer or third party . Please try and ensure your health of hard disk
go to cmd
need not be administrator cmd
just type these commands, enter after each command. You get the status.
    wmic   then press  enter key

diskdrive get status then press enter key. If the status is ok, then it is ok in smart test
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2015, 08:27:38 am »
And then what do you enter ?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>wmic
wmic:root\cli>

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2015, 08:33:53 am »
Hi again guy's I just wanted to give an update. I further tried to disable some startup items using "autoruns" at bleebingcomputer.com I had some issues and and tried to restore the registry file I created and for some reason it would not take it after trying several times in different ways.

I also tried to restore to an earlier time and and then it was erroring out even more. Anyway I did a "factory restore to new" I have already reinstalled my MS Office, Dropbox, etc, etc. Also been doing the many microsoft updates. Everything is hunky dory and my boot time from startup to sign in screen is a little under 45 seconds! Nice.

I sure do thank you guys at tweaking.com and bleepingcomputers.com for helping me out, you guys are a great resource.

Now the lappy is happy and so is it's pappy  :wink:
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:40 am »
So do you have different accounts you can sign into ?

I just have a normal boot up where it takes me to the desktop and yesterday it managed 52 secs - but not since  :smiley:

When a restore point reports as unsuccessful it's usually the AV program that is blocking it and booting up into Safe Mode (I always use Safe Mode with Networking) will isolate the AV and other 3rd party programs and the restore should be successful.

To back up the registry it's easier just to create a restore point than exporting the registry folder.

A factory reset does clean out clutter that we cannot see which is normally left when just using Windows Add/Remove Programs and it's always best to use a 3rd party Uninstaller program that will clean out the residue.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:02:38 am by Boggin »

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2015, 09:31:36 am »
If I time it from when I push the power button and include sign it to when the desktop shows it is 63 seconds.

Hey when you say: "A factory reset does clean out clutter that we cannot see which is normally left when just using Windows Add/Remove Programs and it's always best to use a 3rd party Uninstaller program that will clean out the residue."

Is there something else I should run now? I am a little concerned now about fixing things to the point of breaking them  :confused:
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2015, 02:37:05 pm »
When you factory reset an OEM computer, you get all of the bloatware the vendor preinstalls and just using Add/Remove programs to get rid of what you don't want, will leave residue in the registry.

One way to remove that is with a registry cleaner, but they can be indiscriminate and hose your system and are best left alone.

The next best thing is to use a 3rd party uninstaller.

Here are a couple of articles where you can read about them -

http://dottech.org/100309/windows-best-free-clean-uninstaller-program-review/

http://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best-free-uninstaller-software/

The free version of Revo only picks up on 32 bit programs and not 64 bit programs so you would need to use the free trial of the Pro version for any 64 bit programs you want to uninstall - or buy it.

I use IOBit Uninstaller which does for both and prefer it to Revo because of its simpler use and find it particularly useful in uninstalling the McAfee which came preinstalled on both my Toshiba laptops.

If you do decide to install IOBit then look out for a small checked box to the right of the pre-checked EULA box.

It could be for either of any other IOBit's products, so uncheck it before clicking on Install/Next.

One program you can use to sort out the chaff and vet your Startup menu is DeCrapifier although I've never used it, as I know which programs I want rid of. http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/ - it may also be worth running StartUpLite again as preinstalled programs can also be inserted into the Startup menu of which some, DeCrapifier may not pick up on..

CCleaner is mentioned in one of those articles and is a handy tool for clearing the temp Internet cache which when built up can have an adverse effect on the performance by slowing its operation down.

This is how to use it https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner and some tips on using it http://www.howtogeek.com/113382/how-to-use-ccleaner-like-a-pro-9-tips-tricks/

One other place to check for a build up of files is the temp folder - one machine I cleaned out had over 3GB of files in there which was slowing the computer to a crawl.

You can view this by going Start - type %temp% and press enter.

If that is highly populated then click on Organize - Select all - Organize - Delete - confirm.

There should only be a Debug file remaining so check the box then click on Skip.

If there are any large files remaining, repeat the procedure and accept the UAC if you are presented with one.

Going back to your backing up the registry - I don't know how Shane's WR program backup and restore does it but when you back up the full registry, you can't use that to restore as you cannot restore files that are in use.

Perhaps Shane can explain how WR accomplishes that.

You can however, back up and restore individual registry folders by clicking on their name - File - Export - give them a name where they will be saved as a .reg file and to restore them - File - Import - browse to the saved location - click on it then on Open where it will be reinstated.

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2015, 07:57:29 pm »
Thanks Boggin for the tip I installed IOBit and I like it, I will use it. What about all the programs I already deleted before IOBit? Do you recommend I do anything there?
Joe K

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2015, 09:49:18 pm »
Hi, Boggin,

after that please type
diskdrive get status
and press enter
 If the status is fine, it will give you OK

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2015, 01:13:43 am »
Thanks Boggin for the tip I installed IOBit and I like it, I will use it. What about all the programs I already deleted before IOBit? Do you recommend I do anything there?

If you are unable to reinstall them to use IOBit on them, you could use CCleaner's registry cleaner as it is an intelligent cleaner - but uncheck the box for ActiveX and Class Issues before running it and this will clean out the residue.

It may also list a load of missing DLLs - which is normal after a factory reset because the contents of the Recovery partition have an universal install, depending upon on your model and it is okay to let it delete these.

It affords you the option to create a registry back up but this as far as I know, only contains the items it removes and I have yet to be able to restore those items using that back up - perhaps that's something I'm not doing right.

The only sure way to back up the registry is to create a restore point and ensure it remains after a reboot because Win 7 can develop a nasty habit of deleting restore points.

The alternative to using CCleaner and if you are unable to reinstall/uninstall those programs would be to redo the factory reset and all that entails.

I once read that it was advocated to do a factory reset once a year just to clear out the clutter, but given how long it takes for all of the Windows Updates to download and install as well as cleaning out the bloatware and reinstalling your own programs - it's advice I've ignored  :smiley:

If you use CCleaner to clear the temp file etc. cache, under the System section uncheck the box for Memory Dumps as they will be needed if you ever get a BSOD - Blue/Black Screen of Death.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2015, 01:15:33 am »
Hi, Boggin,

after that please type
diskdrive get status
and press enter
 If the status is fine, it will give you OK

Thanks JR - perhaps you would like to edit your previous post to include that info to make it clearer.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2015, 03:35:21 am »
Hi,
              Thanks boggins. Did jmk apply the commands for his system. I do not know..
                     Please see my post, I have already included . I specifically mentioned to enter then after each line. Only think i missed was , where it would take that, the directory in your post. So everything is clear.
I am asking jmk because, the ultimate problem is dying hard disk problem reported by him.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2015, 06:43:26 am »
Hi,
              Thanks boggins. Did jmk apply the commands for his system. I do not know..
                     Please see my post, I have already included . I specifically mentioned to enter then after each line. Only think i missed was , where it would take that, the directory in your post. So everything is clear.
I am asking jmk because, the ultimate problem is dying hard disk problem reported by him.

While that is the title of the thread, it was just a suspicion that a failing HDD was the cause of performance problems - as you will see from the chkdsk /r report that JMK posted, the HDD is fine.

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2015, 06:53:05 am »
Hey Boggin, I ran the decrapifier last night and it suggested to remove a few things a couple of then was Toshiba Reel Time, Toshiba Face Recognition and a couple more. I uninstalled then with IObit, after the uninstall IObit suggested 100's of items in the registry to delete and they didn't look like they were all related to the items I uninstalled. I didn't delete them, should I have? It was a lot of scary stuff.

I just did a restore to undue what I did last night
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2015, 08:09:31 am »
Hey Boggin, I ran the decrapifier last night and it suggested to remove a few things a couple of then was Toshiba Reel Time, Toshiba Face Recognition and a couple more. I uninstalled then with IObit, after the uninstall IObit suggested 100's of items in the registry to delete and they didn't look like they were all related to the items I uninstalled. I didn't delete them, should I have? It was a lot of scary stuff.

I just did a restore to undue what I did last night

They probably are related to it but you do the right thing by creating a restore point prior to making any changes, but when you select a restore point, click on Scan for affected programs as some have to be reinstalled to become functional again.

I remember when I've used IOBit to remove Java 64bit it found over 700 items relating to it.

To refresh my memory about Toshiba ReelTime, I Googled it and got http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/TOSHIBA-ReelTime-5312-program.aspx

There's a link lower down the page which lists what it calls other Toshiba bloatware.

I've run Decrapifier on both my Toshiba Win 7 laptops and while this slightly older one doesn't have Face Recognition, it didn't snag Toshiba ReelTime on either or Face Reconition on the other although it listed it in Everything else - do you have either of those programs running - msconfig should show that.

I can't see ReelTime in my msconfig - probably because I unchecked it ages ago, but it may be in yours.

If you do have it listed in msconfig and you want to uninstall it, then leave its box checked otherwise you could end up with orphaned files, regardless of IOBit.

Have you used Toshiba Media Creator to make a set of Toshiba Recovery Disks - these are a copy of what is in the Recovery partition and should you need to factory reset or have serious problems, you can boot up with them.

It requires two DVDs.

I've only had to use mine once when in the Advanced Boot options I noticed I no longer had the option of Repair your Computer.

If you ever need to check if there are any driver updates for your machine then just Google Toshiba driver support.

You'll probably get a different location to my UK one and when you are entering your model details it will ask for the short model number which will be on the underside of the laptop, but you'll recognize which bit you need from the dropdown choice.

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2015, 07:18:11 pm »
Hey Boggin, my computer is running great, I just booted up to the desktop in 46 seconds! WoHoo!

I ran the CCleaner as you recommended and I think it did a lot of good. Do you recommend that I leave CCleaner installed and working all the time? I notice that it is in the startup menu as well as running in the task bar but maybe that's a good thing?

Leave it or uninstall it?
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2015, 02:20:29 am »
Hey Boggin, my computer is running great, I just booted up to the desktop in 46 seconds! WoHoo!

I ran the CCleaner as you recommended and I think it did a lot of good. Do you recommend that I leave CCleaner installed and working all the time? I notice that it is in the startup menu as well as running in the task bar but maybe that's a good thing?

Leave it or uninstall it?

The free version is usually used as an on demand program and I run it to clear the cache at the end of every session.

If you click on Tools/Settings have a look to see if the box is checked for it to run on Startup - it doesn't need to be - running it manually is sufficient.

My laptop has never booted up that quickly even when new  :smiley:

Offline jmk909er

• View Profile
    • Jozep Fit4Life
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2015, 07:09:56 am »
Thanks, what about the setting for 'Enable System Monitoring" and "Enable Active Monitoring" Do you uncheck those? I notice that it is always running in the task bar.
Joe K

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2015, 07:39:42 am »
Thanks, what about the setting for 'Enable System Monitoring" and "Enable Active Monitoring" Do you uncheck those? I notice that it is always running in the task bar.

Actually, they were the ones I was looking for but thought they applied to another program I have installed - memory isn't what it was  :cheesy:

Yes, uncheck those and that will keep it dormant until you want to run it.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2015, 05:30:06 am »
Hi, Boggins,
                      the wmic command list  will give the instant status and information of the system very quickly. It is only used by advance users, because, there is no going back on any command. I mean, if the action is performed then there is no reverse for it.
                       But i took this command to get disk status, to easily find the status of the hard disk. The link is given below for the users of this forum.
  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hard-disk-drive-health