Author Topic: Time taken to run tweaking.com  (Read 8281 times)

Offline kneebraceboy

• View Profile
Time taken to run tweaking.com
« on: February 21, 2015, 03:30:46 am »
Hi Shane,
I'm using tweaking.com Windows repair to try to fix my Windows 8 updater on my Acer laptop. I selected all of the possible repairs (37) and began the repair It's still chugging away (the % CPU usage is still changing about once a second) 32 hrs later. It said that the repairs would take a 'considerable time', but is a day and a half for the first of 37 repair tasks normal? My acer laptop is running a 64bit AMD CPU
thanks,
Stuart Mather

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Time taken to run tweaking.com
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:56:13 am »
- At which repair does the program get stuck ? Make a screenshot of the CMD.exe window & post it.
- Windows Repair (WR) takes about 20 minutes on my Win 7 to complete all repairs. So, 32 hours is WAY too long.
- Abort & rerun WR but skip (for the time being) the repair(s) that is/are causing the headache. If that's succesful then try rerun all repairs again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:26:31 pm by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:07:59 am »
- Perhaps when the program is run in Safe Mode then that/those repair(s) doesn't/don't get stuck ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:05:52 pm »
Repairs shouldnt even take that long, even on a slow computer lol

Did you make sure to run the repairs in safe mode with networking?

Shane

Offline kneebraceboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 11:34:59 pm »
Thanks for the responses,
Yes it was in safe mode with networking. I re - ran it after re-booting and after another two days, just gave up and reset windows (8) entirely. I think one of the problems might have been that the windows updater has never worked in the two years since I bought this computer (new).  And I'm pretty sure that that was because the Windows 8 was bundled with a month trial of McAffee internet security suite.
Even the resetting took a couple of days all up because there wer 140 important updates to download and install, and 6hrs of windows defender definitions. And I deleted the McAfee suite immediately this time.  I think those proprietary security packages' days are numbered actually. Although I still use Malwarebytes, because it is one of the few security softwares that doesn't disable Windows defender. Looking forward to Windows 10. I think Windows 8 was a mess.
Cheers and all the best,
Stuart
Anyway, it's finally all good and thanks for the opportunity to try the Tweaking.com All in one Windows Repair Tool even if it didn't do the trick.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 11:37:38 pm »
Sorry it didnt do the trick, but good to hear you are back up and running :-)

Shane