Author Topic: [Solved] Are old Registry Backup backup files compatible with newest versions?  (Read 6416 times)

Offline ralt177

• Wannabe geek for many years, still not there, lol.
    • View Profile
Hello Shane --

First of all, I want to tell you how much I appreciate having your Registry Backup program available.  I was a longtime user of ERUNT for many years, and dismayed to find that people who seemed to know what they were talking about said that it wouldn't work with Windows 7 & 64-bit.  So of course, I was very very happy to find your simple and reliable Registry Backup program.

I think I've had version 1.4.3 for about three years.  I have the checkbox checked to check for new versions at program startup, but for some reason it never mentioned that there were new versions available.  You can imagine my surprise when I was out on the tweaking.com web site and found that Registry Backup had progressed to version 2.2!  Even when I ran my version 1.4.3 again and specifically clicked on the "Check Now For Updates", it came back and said I had the latest version.  Strange, huh?  Oh well, prolly nothing to try to suss out, as no one will be downloading that old version any more anyway.

Before I updated to version 2.2 I wanted to make sure that my current backups (made by version 1.4.3) will be readable by version 1.2.  My guess is that there will be no problem, but I need to know for sure.

Also, if you can tell me if I should uninstall the old version first, or just run the latest installer and it will install right on top of the older version without me having to first uninstall the old version.

Thanks so much for your attention to this.  Your programs and your care for the users is awesome...

Bob Luckey (In chilly Boston, lol...)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:03:31 am by ralt177 »
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen

"Many people know that the ocean contains a drop, but the challenge in this life is to understand that the drop contains the ocean." - Prem Rawat

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
- Wasn't there a message ("Update Available") in the header of the GUI of Registry Backup ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
The backup my Registry Backup does is a copy of the actual registry files, so it shouldnt have any problem restoring the older backups.

But you never want to restore to old of backups. With the Windows updates and such you want to make sure you have fresh backups.

Lets say you have a very old reg backup and you have done a lot of Windows updates since then, well when you restore that old registry backup anything in the registry that has to do with those updates would be gone and that could crash the system.

The goal is to only use a registry backup that hasnt had to many changes since and is as new as possible :-)

Shane

Offline ralt177

• Wannabe geek for many years, still not there, lol.
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies, Willie and Shane.

Willie: nope, the GUI doesn't say "Update Available".  On the version I have, the options regarding update are on the Settings tab.  There's a little box that says "Update Available?" with a rectangular button below the box to click to check if there's a newer version, which, when clicked, comes back with "You are up to date."  Strange, huh??

Shane: thanks for confirming that the new versions can read backups made by the older versions fine.  AND, double thanks for the reminder to not go to a backup that's real old, because that might break a few things.  I've actually had Windows Update turned off for a while (long story why), but I do a registry backup before I install any new programs.  I just wanted to make sure that if I make a backup with this old version before updating Registry Backup itself, I would be able to get back to one of those earlier backups if needed.

Many thanks, guys  [... looking for the "thumbs up" smiley.... hmmm, lol....]

:smiley:   :smiley:   :smiley:
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen

"Many people know that the ocean contains a drop, but the challenge in this life is to understand that the drop contains the ocean." - Prem Rawat

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Always happy to help :-)

Shane