Author Topic: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems  (Read 132572 times)

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems
« on: April 09, 2015, 03:52:59 am »
Hi, for some time now I have had problems updating my Windows 7 SP1 64-bit Dell Inspiron One. I have tried numerous fixes and repairs (including the SURT and your own Windows Repair on several occasions), and nothing seems to work!  :angry:

I have tried your latest (v.3.1.2) All-in-one repair which checks the windows packages and reparse points etc, and it gives me a whole loooong list of missing files, and one missing default reparse point which I tick to repair but every time I rescan it goes "missing" again!
Is there a way or procedure to add all the missing files manually or via a script? When I try Windows own Update it returns error 80073701 which I believe is a corrupt registry error, and alternative update methods (direct MS download and installation, PatchMyPC, PortUp, APUP, etc..) don't work either, although occasionally I can get the odd update to install via PortUp, despite a growing number that just won't!  :cry:

Can anybody help please? If any more info is needed on anything let me know and I'll be more than happy to provide it...

Cheers, Tone

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Re: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:55:22 am »
- Post the (long) list in your next reply. (attachment)
- Suggestions for a succesful Windows Update:
   - Select "Notify before Download". Then you can do the updates when you & your system got enough time.
   - When Windows asks you to restart, decline. Windows simply has to wait with updating until you shut down your system.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:01:05 am by Willy2 »

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 11:42:23 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried every setting in Windows Update that's available, and none of them work or make any difference! It won't even check for updates - I get an amber message saying I need to install an update to WU to be able to check for updates, then when I click Install Now it eventually gives me the red error message Unable to update 80073701, so that's not the issue. I can only hope that sorting out the missing service packaging files will correct the registry corruption and allow the updates to work.  :confused:

Anyway, the list of missing files and reparse point error from the Pre-scan Repair is attached, please let me know what to do from here...

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:25:42 pm »
- Open "Control Panel", "Programs & features", "View installed Updates" to see how many updates were succesfully installed. On my Win 7 SP 1 system I have about 210 updates in total.
- Post that number and wait for Shane'reply.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 05:08:58 pm »
Ok, well my system appears to have a different number completely! There are 323 Total updates installed (the number at the bottom of the page), and scrolling through the different categories of updates 284 are Microsoft Windows updates.

When I last ran PortUp several days ago there were about 30 more Windows updates showing as requiring installation, dating from March 15 back to 2012! Not sure what any of these numbers mean or how complete they are so am looking forward to see what Shane has to say on it......  :sleep:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 01:02:19 pm »
That is a lot of missing files from the packages.

The list of files that should be in there are in the registry. So either some update didn't remove those registry keys or something removed all those files.

Windows updates looks at those files when installing an update, and if there is an error of any kind the update will simply bomb out and not install. But any update that didn't need to read any of those missing files will most likly have installed just fine.

So there are two ways to try and fix it.

1. Remove the registry keys pointing to the files, I havent tested this much yet so I dont do it.
2. Replace the missing files, which i can get for you.

If you havent done so yet try running the system readiness tool, it might help replace some of the missing files, cutting down on the number of files I need to hunt down lol
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

After you run and install that reboot the system then run the pre-scan again and post the log. :wink:

Shane

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 03:14:06 am »
Cheers Shane. Yeah I thought it was a Long list as well!  :tongue:

The PC was second hand when I bought it 3 years ago, and owned by a young lad, so I'm not sure if it's history is great. Plus I did have some malware on it last year (which is now all clean) so there's a fair chance that could have messed with the packages/registry. There are other issues - an empty Windows Features box being one, but I thought I'd start with the package files and updates first as this seems like the biggest problem, it's addressed by your repair tool  :smiley: and fixing them may hopefully also solve some of the other issues!

I have tried running the SURT, several times (one of the many things I've gone through to try and put my machine right again!), and it seemed to fix things the first couple of times, but I'm not sure it is any more - I've run it again anyway as there's no harm in trying if it makes your life easier, so please find the latest Pre-scan log attached and see what you think... :undecided:

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 11:03:25 am »
Oh, and a further bit of info which might be of use - I did a bit of digging through the Pre-scan log and found that ALL of the missing package files relate to only FIVE MS updates!  :omg: (2633952, 2522422, 2656373, 2859903 & 2524375)

My thought was to try and uninstall the relevant KB's and then re-install them directly from the MS download, but when I went to find them on the Installed Updates list only ONE of them was there!  :shocked:

I downloaded all the KB's anyway but when I tried to install the 4 'missing' ones they all said that 'This update is already installed on your computer'!  :confused: So even though they're not on the list, the WUSI thinks that they Are, presumably due to some registry presence/corruption. I uninstalled the only 'present' one (2656373) and rebooted, then tried to re-install it again, and now it says that the update is not applicable to my computer! Help, hope I've not made matters any worse - I've done the Pre-scan again and checked it and it appears to be the same as the 2 I've already sent, so the package files are still missing for that one even though I've supposedly uninstalled it....  :blank:

Offline RubyBookwyrm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 06:54:55 pm »
This is similar to another problem I had where the presence of a un-updated version of a file prevented the updating of it (only makes sense to MS I guess), so I opened an elevated command prompt (right click on cmd.exe and Run as Administrator) then type the following lines:
net stop wuauserv
net stop BITS
cd %systemroot%/SoftwareDownload
ren Download Download.old
cd DataService
ren Dataservice.edb DataService.old
net start BITS
net start wuauserv

Then reboot TWICE, and run update.

Hopefully this will help.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:24:06 am »
Thanks Ruby.

I have tried this before, with little success, and also have a batch file with these commands in and several more which completely resets WU and re-registers all the dll's, and this hasn't worked either!  :rolleyes: I tried your suggestion again on the off-chance and once more it's had no visible effect on the WU process ie. same errors and lack of success.
On my machine it's "SoftwareDistribution" and "DataStore.edb" though rather than the SoftwareDownload and DataService you mentioned. This may well work on some systems, but mine's apparently too corrupted/screwed up for this to have any effect, never mind.  :sad:

Hopefully Shane or some other wiz will come back with something useful on the service packaging files replacement after the weekend hiatus...  :artist:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 03:13:38 pm »
You can try using the cmd options to remove those updates, here is how to do it
http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/38624-uninstall-specific-windows-updates-via-cmd-or-batch-file-in-windows-7-8-and-server-2008-2012

Then once they are uninstalled you can try windows updates and see how it does. Might be a good idea to run the repair windows update sin my program after you uninstall those updates, that way windows updates starts fresh on its scan.

Shane

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 10:42:14 am »
Ok Shane, so we're going to try removing the suspect updates rather than replacing the 'missing' package files, well it's certainly worth a go and presumably far easier!

Soooo, I gave it a whirl, and unfortunately it's made No difference!  :sad: I ran the removal commands individually in an elevated DOS prompt, then I combined them into a batch file and ran them again with admin rights - both ways finished Very quickly (within a second or two), so I'm not sure how much they were actually doing, given that none of the 5 updates are now showing in the Installed Updates list.

Then did a power reset and booted into (normal mode) windows again. Turned the firewall off, disabled my AV, ended any non-essential running processes and ran your (newly-released!) All in One Repair again. Pre-scan turned out exactly as before with all the many package files still appearing, carried on to the repair section and ran that - a few errors appeared on the grey command box while running so that wasn't a good omen  :rolleyes: then rebooted after completion and tried WU again once connected to the network. Same old error message - update required to WU which then gives 80073701 when Install Now is clicked.

So bottom line is - No change. I also tried re-running the removal commands again, this time without any switches to see what was happening, and all of them gave the same error code and message 'Element not found' - indicating that the update is not there to be removed.

I'm guessing we're going to have to remove some registry keys or such now, seeing as the suspect updates aren't installed any more and replacing any 'missing' files is going to be a waste of time? Whatever, let me know what's required and we'll take it from there, cheers....  :confused:
Tone

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 02:23:46 pm »
From a couple of Google links regarding that WU error code, they suggest that SP1 hasn't been properly installed and downloading it again.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1

While you say you have SP1 does it say that when you right click on Computer or My Computer then click on Properties ?

The final solution for WU Error 80073701 is either a repair install, reinstall or a factory reset.

If it will let you reinstall SP1 and that doesn't do it, check to see what a sfc /scannow now comes up with.

If it reports that it is unable to repair some files, you can copy & paste the CBS log from Notepad to the Reply box after executing this command -

findstr /c:"[SR]" Cannot %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > 0 & notepad 0

If they mean a factory reset then I think you should consider that.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 05:04:38 pm »
Hi Boggin - yes it does say Service Pack 1 on computer Properties, and looking down the Installed Updates list I can see a Service Pack (KB976932) installed on 23/04/12 - I presume this is SP1!? Although as we know, the fact that it's on the list doesn't necessarily mean that it's fully or properly installed!... :rolleyes:

I have come across this SP1 info before on my travels when looking up the error message and wondered about re-installing SP1, but don't really know what's involved or whether I'd need to uninstall and reinstall all the other Windows Updates since then as well  :thinking:

Also, I have considered a reset or repair install as well, but again I don't fully know what's involved or how to do it, or if it's really necessary. It would be my last resort I guess, if there's no alternative way to repair WU or Windows or SP1 while still in situ.

I'm still hoping Shane can come up with something to help - if not then I'd like to know the best way forward in a bit more detail, whether it be one of your suggestions or some other way....

Cheers

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »
A repair install would be good to do, and it isnt hard, it is basically doing an upgrade to the same version.

here is how to do it :wink:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

You will need a Windows 7 disk that has SP1 already on it.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 02:49:34 am »
Before doing the final solution, see if SP1 will install on top of the existing SP1.

If it doesn't, then create a restore point - make sure it's there after a reboot then uninstall the KB and you may get it auto through Windows Updates or through a manual Check for updates - else use the appropriate download from my previous link.

With an OEM machine, while it could take longer to back up your personal stuff and reinstall everything afterwards, I would still prefer the factory reset.

If you don't have a Win 7 x64 SP1 disk, PM me your address and I'll burn a couple of Win 7 x64 Pro disks with the eicfg file removed and send them off to you.

With that file removed, it makes it an universal Win 7 x64 disk up to Ultimate, but you will need Dell's generic product key to activate if you want to go for the repair install, as the COA sticker key would only work if it was the same as the generic one.

Belarc Advisor will give you the product key for that as well as for any other paid for programs if you no longer have those. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Also create a full external system image as well before the repair install as a safeguard.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 05:33:54 am »
Ok, well I've tried the SFC several times and it always says it's found corrupted files but was unable to fix some of them - the Findstr command you've quoted Boggin doesn't seem to do anything - is the syntax correct? It gave me the error "FINDSTR: Cannot open Cannot"! I've tried similar ones before and come up with huge lists from the CBS log which I've been unable to fathom, so I can always try this again and post it if you think it will help...

It's an OEM machine which came pre-installed so I've no installation disc  :sad: I do have access to an HP laptop with Win 7 SP1 if that helps? Or I can download the (7gig!!  :omg:) SP1 file from MS again if that's the route I should be going - will I need to uninstall SP1 first from the Installed Updates list or should I just try to reinstall it straight over the top (once I've spent several days downloading it!  :cry:)?

I think this would be worth trying before doing the repair install, as that looks like a whole Heap of work which I don't really have time for just now, and requires the installation discs which you've kindly offered to let me have access to, if required :smiley:

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still a little unclear as to the exact steps I should be taking here, so would appreciate your help (again)
Ta...

(PS - I also don't know how to PM on this forum if we need to go down the installation discs route)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 06:55:56 am »
First of all, to PM anyone on the forum just click on their name and then on Send PM in the left pane.

That findstr command isn't my invention but from a learned source on another forum, but copy and paste the command from Option Three in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html to your command prompt and the text will list all repairs done and what it is unable to repair.

Copy & paste that into your thread and Shane may have some replacement files for you.

Without a valid retail licence key you will be unable to download anything now from MS or any other source that used to supply ISOs so as to create bootable disks.

As the "on board" sfc /scannow was unable to repair all files, with a bootable SP1 ISO disk you can perform an offboot sfc /scannow http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

I use to have to write those steps out but have recently come across that tutorial  :smiley:

A bootable Win 7 SP1 ISO disk is always handy to have even just to carry out that operation, so drop me a PM and I'll send you those disks anyway.

I'll send you two so that you'll have a spare but even though they are universal, they are only good for Win 7 64 bit versions - you require a separate one for 32 bit.

With an universal install disk when you do a repair or a clean install, I think you are prompted for which version you wish to use but that is only from what I've read and not from personal experience.

I would try and install the SP1 update on top of the existing one to see if it will take before uninstalling the KB first, but create a restore point first before each action and check to see that the restore point has been created after a reboot, because Win 7 has developed a habit in some cases of not retaining them after a reboot.

So to recap, create the restore point then try the SP1 update on top of the installed KB and if that doesn't do anything, create another restore point (although Windows will anyway) and then download the SP1 update and check to see if that has resolved the problem.

You could perform another sfc /scannow to see if it still finds files it is unable to repair.

When you get the disks just follow that tutorial to perform the offboot sfc /scannow if need be and you could use that HP machine to follow the tutorial as you work your way through it on the affected machine.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 11:41:50 am »
Okay, I hear what you're saying with all that Boggin - thanks!

A further question though, before I even get started downloading - I've gone to the instructions for installing W7 SP1 page you linked, and on there it says "1. Go to the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 download webpage on the Microsoft website, and then click Continue.

2. Choose either the 32-bit (x86) or the 64-bit (x64) version of SP1 depending on whether you're running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Windows 7, and then click Download."

When I click that link I don't see a "Continue" button or any option to choose 32 or 64-bit - just a big orange Download button!  :confused: When I click this it gives me a list of 10 possible files which I then have to choose which to select from - do you know which of these I should be selecting? It's not immediately obvious from the names (other than the x64 references on a few...)
List as follows:
1.   7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD.iso
2.   Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.AMD64CHK.Symbols.msi
3.   Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.AMD64FRE.Symbols.msi
4.   Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.IA64CHK.Symbols.msi
5.   Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.IA64FRE.Symbols.msi
6.   Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.X86CHK.Symbols.msi
7.   Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.X86FRE.Symbols.msi
8.   windows6.1-KB976932-IA64.exe
9.   windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
10.   windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe

Obviously 6, 7 & 10 are out, but which of the others do I need to select, or is it all?

Cheers.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 02:33:56 pm »
I don't recognise those either but you wouldn't normally use the IA ones either.

Is this the site where you put in your product key for validation http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

There's a Contact Support link to the right of where you enter the product key where you should get advice on downloading the correct version.

Did you try reinstalling the SP1 update ?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:36:02 pm by Boggin »

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 03:00:04 pm »
Ha, well it was from the link that You posted me yesterday!   :tongue: "From a couple of Google links regarding that WU error code, they suggest that SP1 hasn't been properly installed and downloading it again.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1 "

Down this page there is a further link "Windows 7 Service Pack 1 download" (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=199583) which takes you to the actual download page, but doesn't give the supposed 'Continue' option or the choice of 32 or 64 bit!  :confused:

I have been on the other MS site you mention for software recovery but not entered my product key to go any further - is this the place I should be downloading the SP1 from and not the one you posted? I've actually downloaded all the other files - the iso and the 6 others with 64 in the name, should I discard these? I don't know which of them to install or if they should be in any particular order - I'm slightly lost now....  :undecided:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 03:20:04 pm »
Hang on, I'll just have a proper read through the SP1 article.

It was my mistake thinking that you were downloading the ISO to create a bootable disk.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 03:32:42 pm »
Going by this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842 you can use No.9 - click on Install instructions.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 04:41:30 pm »
Thanks Boggin - that's the page I was on, and that answers the questions of which file/s to install from that list of 10.

So, tried to run no. 9 after shutting all running programs and no dice - went to a Preparing your system box and then said Installation was not successful and threw up error Element not found (ERROR_NOT_FOUND 0x80070490) - I guess I now need to try uninstall it from the Installed Updates list before trying to install again - is that correct?

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 05:29:55 pm »
Oh, and I also re-ran the SFC scan as per your link and it ran ok - your version had a stray "Cannot" in which wasn't recognized. I've attached the list of [SR] things found as it might be a bit too long for a single post...

If Shane or yourself have any ideas on anything that's in there then by all means let me know  :smiley:

I've just had a look at the Installed Updates list and seen what options there are for SP1 (KB976932) and there don't appear to be any!!  :confused: All the normal updates have an option to uninstall, but SP1 doesn't, so no idea where to go from here, especially as it doesn't appear in the list of Programs and Features!...