Author Topic: Need help placing java .dll files in Firefox  (Read 8779 times)

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
Need help placing java .dll files in Firefox
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:36:06 am »
Hi Shane,

A long story short: Trouble with Java and Flash suspected from crashes in FF mostly. After trying to reinstall in the past, I decided to do offline installs tonight. Java installed in the CP but not into FF.

I found 2 items addressing a similar scenario but I guess they assume you know what you are doing:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:Java#Security_alert
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/984026

I know this much:
I know FF37.0.1 is 32-bit.
I know it will be a .dll file I am guessing npjp2.dll (since the 2 articles are addressing older versions)
I found the  npjp2.dll file.

What I do not know:

In FF, I guess I actually want to copy/paste (vs. actually just moving) the .dll into the x86 folder and not just under my user name app data?
Also, I am not sure if I drop it in the main Mozilla Firefox folder or /browser/extensions or /components folder.

Not sure if I have to do anything with the WOW64 folder or anything else?

Thanks for any help you can give me; I don't know, this may be totally out of your realm, and if so, that's okay. But I am sure interested in figuring this method out to see if I have better luck.

UPDATE: Flash is now fixed in FF and IE. Java is fixed in IE.

I still need to figure out how to get the Java .dll over to the correct location in FF.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:32:34 am by ComputerJunkie »
Dell Precision M4600
Intel Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz CPU
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Intel HD Graphics 3000 / NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
Intel Centrino WiMAX 6250
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need help placing java .dll files in Firefox
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 07:43:56 am »
FF usually disables Java by default, but click on Tools/Add-ons and see if it's listed.

If it is then go www.pingtest.net as that requires Java for the Packet test to succeed and if it's working, you should get a pop-up to allow it to run.

Update on this - Just tried the ping test in my FF that has Java set to Ask to Activate and it didn't which resulted in not being prompted to allow Java and the Packet test failed, even though in Java's console under the Security tab I have it set to Allow in browsers.

I changed this to Always Activate and the Packet test succeeded along with the prompts to allow Java.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:08:35 am by Boggin »

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 03:38:59 pm »
Hi Boggins,

Thanks for the reply.

I am passed that point. Flash (and sometimes Java) kept crashing, a LOT, so I decided to go to the official websites and do an offline install of Flash and Java with no internet or Norton's on, for both IE and FF. As the 2 articles point out, you need to manually put the np...dll into the corresponding folders, when it's missing but I do not know which ones.

I just re-tested IE10 and Flash and Java are still working strong.
I just re-tested FF and Flash is still working strong. Java is still showing as not working in FF.

I am using 64-bit Win 7 and of course Mozilla Firefox is x86 and IE is 32-bit with 64-bit integration so I know to go to Programs (x86) but I checked both Program Folders anyway, in case it got "misplaced". I even went to appdata and so on. And then I need to know if I am just copying and pasting or am I completely moving that .dll - not sure if it has to be in both locations or not.

I also checked C:\drive before posting here, to make sure it's not in FF folders all ready -  nothing came up for it, even using a wildcard. So, I know I have to put it in manually-just need help with the location to put it in.

At least, Flash is finally working in both FF and IE so I am done with that part.

I tell ya what, I will attach a PrtScr of FF to show you it's really not there-and this is why I need to know the folder I should place it in.

If you could snoop through your Mozilla FF folders to find the exact location of the Java plug-in that would be a HUGE help.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:42:46 pm by ComputerJunkie »
Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:02:20 pm »
I found the Plug-in Container in the FF Folder in Program Files (x86) but nothing happened when I tried to open it.

I didn't understand the first article you had linked either, but it's weird that Java isn't showing in your Plug-ins.

I think I'd start by uninstalling/reinstalling FF but I don't know how you would back up your bookmarks if any - I just have FF as a spare browser and use IE 10.

After the reinstall check the plug-ins again and if necessary, reinstall Java.

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 07:33:10 pm »
Hmm, well there's a place to put that .dll so I will wait to see if Shane knows what it goes.

Actually, it makes total sense as it has something to do with doing the offline installation. This isn't piddly consumer stuff, this is more techie type stuff. It's like how we used to have to do things during Windows 3.1 and Win95b.

Most people don't even know you can still do offline installations because everyone just does what is shown to them. But tons of people complain about FF, Java, Flash and other stuff and you never see an answer so I decided to take my own approach in fixing this problem, which just might work out better-if I could just figure out where that blasted .dll file goes! hahaha

Just curious, are you about in your 20's?
Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:47:42 pm »
one, crossing 86 prgrams and 64 bit is always problematic, can never ever solve all the problems and then when an automated updates hits you,
* Blast that dang computer...

un-install, re-install

go to java website, unistall all old java apps, re-install java

nothing else Works not ever will!

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Re: Need help placing java .dll files in Firefox
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 08:43:35 pm »
Hi Rick,

The Mozilla checkbox inside Java kept getting unchecked. I then tried disabling and re-enabling the plugin.scanplid.all and also deleting the pluginreg.dat file. Both to no avail.

Then I got hung up on your 32-bit/64-bit comment and it got me to thinking. I had installed both the 32-bit and 64-bit Java versions and of course, have the separate plug-ins for IE and FF. But, I started wondering if somehow, the 64-bit was being the bully in this mess.

I went to CP and uninstalled the 64-bit Java. And even though they are supposed to work separately, 64-bit had taken precedence and blocked the 32-bit part! Very strange, especially since I did the 64-bit in the IE browser, not the FF browser.

Now that that's solved, I can reinstall the 64-bit. Sheesh.

Oh well, problem solved! Thanks so much for your input; that really helped me look at this differently.
Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:07:46 am »
I have both Java versions should I want to run IE in 64 bit mode but have always installed Java using IE.

FF has picked those up so I've never had to download any special Java plug-in as you have to do for Flash Player for FF and I've never had or heard of the problem you've had.

Which Java version did you install first ?

I always use the See all Java downloads link then install the Windows Offline 32bit version before the 64 bit one.

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 10:31:43 am »
Hi Boggin,

When doing the Offline installs of Java, 64-bit took precedence and blocked 32-bit.

Normally, I install Java and Flash for FF in FF and both for IE in IE. But for some reason FF was not picking Java up. Once I uninstalled 64-bit, it allowed 32-bit to activate in Firefox and it even shows up now. It was late so I did not reinstall 64-bit, but when I do, it will be in IE because it's for IE.

But yeah, I have never had this problem before and when researching it, they were saying that sometimes the one .dll will not go to the proper folder and you will have to move it.

I have the newest versions:
Java 8 Update 40
Flash Player 17 Active X
Flash Player 17 NPAPI

However, I do still have a problem I haven't figured out yet. During all of this, when trying to save a bookmark to my desktop, the favicons are not showing up again-still trying to fix that problem.
Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 03:22:15 pm »
Good to hear you got it working and thanks for helping Boggin :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 04:03:33 pm »
Hi Shane - no help this time but did learn about another problem  :cheesy:

JFI - Java v8 u4.5 released today.

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 11:02:37 pm »
Hey, thanks for trying though! I really do appreciate it.  :cheesy:

Still trying to get the desktop bookmark favicons to work-they worked before this java glitch! ughhh
Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 12:47:36 am »
Either of the two options in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html have proven successful with problematic icons which you can try, but I think I would restore to prior the Java and Flash problems to see if the favicons are reinstated.

I also find Anvi Browser Repair Tool useful for sorting out problems with browsers http://www.anvisoft.com/browser-repair-tool.html

Click on either of the applicable icons in the left pane and you'll see what is default reset.

You can then retry the Java updates.