Author Topic: ie can't save files, can't see start menu items or pinned taskbar items  (Read 6449 times)

Offline garegin

• View Profile
Hi

I can't save or open files through Internet Explorer, can't see any start menu items (unless I click on all programs), can't pin or see pinned items in the taskbar (only the opened ones)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Create a new user profile in Windows and log into that profile and see if it happens there as well.

That will let me know if the problem is just with the profile, or if it is system wide. :wink:

Shane

Offline garegin

• View Profile
ok, the new profile works. how do I transfer everything from the old to the new. I want to keep the app settings also, not just the files in the user folders. I've heard about xcopy deployment, but don't know much about it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
That depends on the program. Some programs keep settings in a file under your profile while others keep settings in the registry of the current user.

Moving the files over isnt hard to do, it will be the registry keys, not to mention that since the problem is in the registry of the profile we want to be careful of what we import over. :wink:

I forgot to ask, what version of Windows?

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
HI, I would advise you change ie to ff for fast and secure browsing. You could keep ie updated, but i would advise you to use ff and there are some wonderful add on like downthem all which will help you download without any interruption and also if possible resume options if interupted
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".