Author Topic: Windows Update corrupt  (Read 6805 times)

Offline DestryStevens

• View Profile
Windows Update corrupt
« on: April 30, 2015, 06:47:32 am »
Hello, I am a new member on your site. I really appreciate your help, in advance.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit. I have removed a number of adware and malware using several tools from bleeping computer.com. But I am still stuck with Windows Update not working.

Initially I couldn't even see any windows when I would click on windows update in the control panel. After running serveral fixes and repairs found on the Microsoft website, and installing a couple of updates manually. I can get the machine to open windows update and start a search for updates. However it still won't download and install anything. I decided to run your all in one windows repair tool and then did the prescan. I can't even count the number of corrupt files it found in the the windows update area. I have attached the log file for you to look at. There has to be something I am missing to have this much wrong with it. Please help. :confused:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Update corrupt
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:59:54 am »
When you ran my windows repair did you make sure to do all the repairs and do them in windows safe mode?

Shane

Offline DestryStevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 01:05:40 am »
At the time that I posted initially, I had not ran the whole tool. I was hung up on all the errors that the prescan found. I have since ran the entire tool and all other tools such as check disk and system file checker while in Safe mode with networking. It did make the whole system run a little more crisp. However, it didn't solve the problem with windows update. I found a forum that said that my most recent Service pack was corrupt. And explained the process of uninstalling Service pack 2 and reninstalling it manually. Now ever time I attempt to install the service pack it comes up with a "critical failure" error. I have tried the Update Readiness tool that microsoft provides as well. The install hangs. Errors out after a couple of hours. The machine runs okay as long as I don't try to use Internet explorer or windows update. I am at my wits end here.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:42:32 am »
This comprehensive Windows article may help with the SP2 reinstall https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dd335037(v=ws.10).aspx

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 01:31:27 pm »
What would keep the headache down to a minimum for you would to do a repair install, which is basically doing an upgrade to the same version, but to do that you need a vista install disk with SP2 already on it.

The only way to get that if you don't have it is from torrent sites, which is dangerous to do as you could end up downloading something wrong and get infected. I could hook you up with a untouched ISO of it but it is a 3GB + file and would take a while to upload it, and I just found out last week that my landlord sold the property and I have to move my business and wife and 5 kids by the end of june. So I am having trouble focusing right now, but trying my best :-)

Normally I would say to let me connect to you remotely with teamviewer so I can look at it myself and see what i can do, but I dont have the time right now and I wont until we are moved as I have to find us a new home!

But if you can get a ISO of vista with SP2 you just have to follow this
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

Or if you are willing to wait, I can help you at a later date, but note sure you want to wait that long lol

Shane