Author Topic: Windows Repair Showing windows vista on my windows 8.1  (Read 13445 times)

Offline 911resQme

• View Profile
Windows Repair Showing windows vista on my windows 8.1
« on: May 04, 2015, 04:21:53 pm »
I've been having major issues with my Dell Inspiron 7345 (?) 2 in 1 tablet with windows 8.1, 64 bit, purchased March 2015. About a month ago, my touchscreen started behaving erratically and would start opening and closing apps, my screen would flicker and touchpad and keyboard would stop working. I ran eset, mini tool box, cc cleaner, junk ware removal per instructions from bleepings moderator. I know the basic functions of a computer so I'm not quite sure what exactly these found although I posted them, but after a few days and before I could get a response from them, i was having trouble with my internet connection and security programs, and a computer that I felt someone else was running. I posted to bleedings forum the update to ask if I should try restoring the computer. The moderator said to go ahead because something might be cutting up the registry keys. So I tried to restore to factory setting but was unable to. It kept saying to install a disc needed to be inserted for my system. Another strange thing is files started showing up from a previous computer I had that had an infection. I donated the computer after the drive was wiped clean, and the accounts on my new computer are different so I don't know whats is going on. I ran your windows repair last night and it found a system 32. Im posting it here. I am not sure if its safe to run the repairs. Please advise. I would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair Showing windows vista on my windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 04:25:53 pm »
Those are just the chkdsk logs, they don't really tell me anything, in the subject of the post you said the program is seeing it as windows vista, can you post a screen shot or attach what is showing vista instead of 8?

Shane

Offline 911resQme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:54:17 am »
I tried getting back into the place I found it but it not letting me do much. I can't get my internet started but when I open the task manager the disc goes up to 98 and the memory is up in the 70s. I ran one of your programs that I have on a flash drive that I'm attaching. I can't sign in but it allows me to pull up the task manager so i have to work with that to open what files it allows me to  :?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 10:53:51 am »
Can you post the main log of the windows repair? It is normally the first file in the log folder.

Also have you done a system file check yet?

Open a cmd.exe window as administrator and put in

sfc /scannow

Shane

Offline 911resQme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 06:01:14 pm »
Its not allowing me to run the scan as an administrator. Heres what i do have on the flash drive.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 04:42:48 pm »
For some reason half of the windows repair log is missing from the file you uploaded.

To run the scan as admin, right click on the start button and in the menu there should be an option to run cmd.exe as administrator.

Shane

Offline 911resQme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 08:08:22 am »
I can ran the scan as administrator but when I try to retrieve to the file, it says I don't have permission, It showed that the resource manager has corrupt files but windows could not fix it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 04:01:48 pm »
Any chance you can take a screen shot of that error so I can see it exactly?

Shane

Offline 911resQme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 07:13:25 am »
I have attached a few screen shots. All my files are underlined and if I click on it, it takes to empty files or files I don't recognize.
It seems as if a remote computer is connecting to this computer. I keep shutting down services and it keeps getting restarted even after I disable them.???? There are scheduled tasks that I did not create, when I delete them they return.
I also tried uninstalling Microsoft Office because it is not working properly but it is saying my computer does not support the language?? As far as I know, it was running in English.
Another thing, I'm not sure exactly how exactly how things work on computers but found this strange, my ESET antivirus program that I did not activate is running in service and I have tried to shut it down but it continues to run, same with the McAfee security. Dell updates and Dell Delivery has never worked although it is constantly running even when I shut it down, it comes right back on. The icons have changed on those apps and although the name is the same, it is  a shortcut to some bogus file.
I haven't had this computer for long but it sure as heck has alot of files and I notice the partition sizes are different from the MiniTool Partition and the information I got with the system information yet it was taken within minutes of each other. There are so many strange things that this computer is doing, such as shutting me down when I'm in certain files--I get a message that the PC has encountered an error and needs to shut down, it then takes no more than 5 seconds to start again, but when I actually restart the computer it takes 5 minutes....go figure  :? I'm just about ready to fling it over the balcony(*_*)

Offline 911resQme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 07:34:57 am »
I just noticed that my posts have two different addresses and I recognize neither...it just gets stranger by the minute.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 09:35:47 am »
Did McAfee Security come preinstalled on the computer ?

Running two active AV programs can cause a range of anomalous problems and of the two I would opt to get rid of McAfee.

These are the instructions to fully uninstall McAfee https://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

As for the other bits, see what happens when you disconnect from the Internet.

For the sfc /scannow finding corruption, open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

See what that reports and if it comes back clean then redo the sfc /scannow to see if it still reports corruption.

Offline 911resQme

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 10:28:24 am »
This is the mcAfee leftover registry items found by Revo

Offline 911resQme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 11:44:13 am »
I had my suspicions about the Dell Back up and recovery and their pocket cloud. I was continually getting emails from them thanking me for registering or that I havent backed up my data for 8 days, then I would get another that I havent backed up my data for 5 days???? But their app never worked so I never registered and never enabled the cloud. Whenever I try to sign into my Dell account, my password is wrong. Now I see all this and I'm not sure what to delete? I uninstalled my Adobe programs and it was packed with a lot of leftovers too.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 02:17:12 pm »
You should delete all McAfee residue as it can still conflict.

I would leave those Dell recovery files for now and Shane will advise on those.

How did the dism and subsequent sfc commands go ?

Offline 911resQme

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 05:45:32 pm »
I ran it 3 times and all reports showed the same error. Looks like there is a remote computer connecting my system.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 01:17:47 am »
I couldn't make out what those screenshots were reporting.

To copy the output of a command window, right click in the text area - click on Select all then press enter and then you can paste into the reply box - can't make out the origin of the other shots which are upside down.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 07:26:31 pm »
The system looks like it has a LOT of problems. Hard to tell exactly what the next step should be without knowing all that is going on.

have you ran adwcleaner and tdsskiller on the system yet? Do you also have the windows 8 install disk so you could do a repair install if needed?

Shane