Author Topic: Win7 updates do not work after dirty shutdown caused by processor overheat  (Read 32619 times)

Offline Markku

• View Profile
Computer shut down during the update process.. and after that I only get codes 80073712 & 800b0100 and 10 important updates fail continuously (also optional updates).

I have tried hours all the tools I found without solution

Pre-scan resulted long list of corrupted files, eg.

This File Is Corrupt (Bad Digital Signature):
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_116_for_KB3035131~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.1.cat

complete pre-scan report is attached

What should I do? How do I replace these packages files? Could that solve the update problem?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
If it is rebooting in the middle of an update then it is possible you have bad sectors on the hard drive and when one of the system files hits that bad sector the system crashes and is set to auto reboot when that happens.

have you done a chkdsk on the drive yet and did the option to have it check for bad sectors?

Shane

Offline Markku

• View Profile
thanks Shane for your answer. Computer does not reboot during update. I meant that it crashed during update and now the update function does not work at all (see attachment in the original mail).

Markku

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Run this MS Fixt it to reset the Windows Update Components to see if WUs are restored.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Run this MS Fixt it to reset the Windows Update Components to see if WUs are restored.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058

The repair windows updates in my windows repair actually does all that already.

From the topic that it is shutting down by cpu temperature then it isnt a Windows problem but a overheating problem. Do you have your CPU overclocked? Do you have proper cooling on the cpu?

Almost all motherboards now will kill the system when the cpu is overheating to save the cpu and the motherboard. If you have a update that is using your CPU at max then the cpu is going to make a lot of heat, the cpu fan should be able to keep it cool, unless the fan isnt working, you have a lot of dust blocking air flow, or you have the system overclocked, which makes more heat. Of course the temp inside the room the computer is in makes a big difference as well.

Shane

Offline Markku

• View Profile
Thanks Boggin and Shane, I will check the processor cooling. Unfortunately suggested fix helped a bit (some updates installes) but did not solve the problem completetely, still 14 important updates cannot be installed. After fix following problems are "not fixed":
1) Service registration is missing or corrupt, 2) Windows Update Error 0x80073712(2015-05-21-T-08_06_11P), 3) Cryptographic service components are not registered

Pre-scan report attached
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:55:13 am by Markku »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What does a sfc /scannow report and see what the appropriate System Update Readiness Tool does for you. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Offline Markku

• View Profile
SFC scan did not find any integrity violations. I have run System Update Readiness Tool many times (run it once more without help).
There is suggested in pre-scan report to manually replace lots of files (attached in my previous messages). How do I do that?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Shane will help you out with those files when he gets back on Monday.

Offline Markku

• View Profile
Thank you in advance.. At least the cooling problem is now solved, the processor fan was a bit loose from one angle.. I also added some silver paste.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hope you cleaned the old paste off first ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK here you go. :-)

First grab the zip file off this page and apply the reg file it in to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer.
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/add_quottake_ownershipquot_to_right_click_menu_in_vista_amp_7,1.html

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

I have attached the 66 missing files, extract the files out of the attached zip file and put them in the C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run my pre-scan again but this time put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :wink:

Shane

Offline Markku

• View Profile
Thank you.. this solved the pre-scan problem but still not the troubles with updates.  I get most of the updates installed after this but then after restart I get message that "updates cannot be configured" and "reverting changes". Then I am in the phase nro 0 again..

Offline chris635

• View Profile
For what it's worth. I had problems with the last round of updates (it Actually started with last months). Windows constantly re down loading and installing certain updates over and over again. I did a repair and everything got borked worse and scan/fc didn't show anything. Tried a repair install...no joy. Had to do a full re-install of windows, everything is fine now. I can't say for sure but...updates for windows on my system (windows 7 64 bit), got really screwed up over the last two months. A fresh install followed by updates was the only thing to fix it. Hopefully you don't have to go this route.

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I have been seeing a LOT of users all over the net who have reported problems like this with the updates in the last 2 months. From what I can tell some of the updates are to replace other ones, with a fresh install you dont have those outdated updates and so you only get the newest ones. It seems to be the people who have these older updates installed.

But even then, normally a Windows Repair install does the trick because all the updates need to be reinstalled anyways. So I wonder if it is something in the registry or some setting that is borking things up.

Markku, now that the pre-scan shows good have you ran all the repairs in safe mode again since then?

Shane

Offline Markku

• View Profile
I have run all the repairs in safe mode but no help..

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Been a couple of weeks since the last post, what are the updates that are currently failing?

Shane

Offline Markku

• View Profile
attached report of previous failures..

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Looks like the updates that dont need .net installed fine but all other updates that need .net failed.

So that means the problem is with .net. Have you used the .net removal tool I have posted on here to others yet? If not I can grab it for you when I get back :-)

Shane

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Looks like the updates that dont need .net installed fine but all other updates that need .net failed.

So that means the problem is with .net. Have you used the .net removal tool I have posted on here to others yet? If not I can grab it for you when I get back :-)

Shane
@Shane
Sorry for bumpin in this thread Shane.

@Markku
here are steps I used in another thread It helped out another person in the forums with .net issues

Alright lets try uninstalling .net framework all versions from control panel>uninstall programs. Then reboot the computer
link to my google drive
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzL6vscbQmRKfk5oYjhQUXE3b2owa2RuVTBJb2dLeXZIQVItQ005Vi02ekFRSWFZWm9FNGs&usp=sharing

I added an easy .net 4.5.2 install to my google drive. download it and and unzip run the Automated-Install-Script as admin. reboot and let me know what happens :D
its 86 mb so it may take awhile to download its all the updates with it  :wink:
Julian

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, you have given the  view update history. Please check the installed updates and see if any missing. The view update history would be containing updates already installed in your system. May be a bug.
Please check the updates in a friends computer and check the missing updates.
 Also check the updates that is shown as failed in view updates if present in the installed updates . Because, these two things would help you find which updates are actually failed.
                       You could also check with this run tool
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Markku

• View Profile
Still problems with at least these five ones (see attachment)..

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, You have enclosed update log which are getting updated to your pc from time to time. Did you check your installed updates and check whether those things are updated. Please say how many updates that you presently have. It is about 150, but your pc shows that about 30 as failed. That is 1/5.Huge failure.
                           Did you try windows readiness tool. You could run that 2 times to check whether your updates are successfully installed. Just download and run, on run, it will auto update the win updates thro packages available and go to checksur.log to see whether there is anything left out. Those are the updates that you have to manually update. I say that this tool fixed my problem in updates after having tried window update fix, and windows dx diag wizard.
                                              There is a way to manually update individually. Did you try that for the failed updates

Offline Markku

• View Profile
Dear jraju, you can see that only 5 updates fail at the moment, long list consists of many replies and tries. I have 348 installed Windows updates, I have tried readiness tool many times (tried also now couple times), without help. Manual individual installations fail for those 5 that continuously fail..

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, How did you try to manually update. What is the procedure you adopt.