Author Topic: Internet Explorer 11 problem  (Read 8667 times)

Offline UriF

• View Profile
Internet Explorer 11 problem
« on: May 12, 2015, 06:07:50 pm »
I have never heard about your product until Dell's technician run it at my computer.  I have Windows 8.1 (Upgrade from Windows 8) x64.  After technician run it I was enable to download anything from Internet Explorer.  3 months ago they run your application but at first I did not pay attention.  IE did not let me download anything.  I did not think that it is results of your product.  But when they did it yesterday I was more careful.  Yes, IE stopped to download anything.  1 Month ago I had to contact Microsoft (other issue) and they also troubleshoot without success.  They could download only when they enabled hidden built-in administrative account (at this account I was able to download files but not at regular account with administrative rights).  Guys had to re-install operation system. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer 11 problem
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 06:36:42 pm »
I use the Windows repair program daily and use it on IE 11 all the time and never have any trouble with it.

When you say it couldnt download anything what do you mean exactly? Did it show web pages fine but couldn't download any files or was it not loading web pages at all?

If it wasnt able to download any files this is a known problem in IE as it uses windows defender to scan files that are downloaded and when defender is messed up (Some viruses put junction links on the files so you cant touch it) then IE fails every single download but displays pages fine.

There is commands in the repairs to remove any junction links on windows defender in case a virus put them there again, this is most likely why it fixed you up the first time. :wink:

Shane

Offline UriF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:02:14 pm »
Just stupid test - tried to download PotPlayer from dvbsupport.net.  More frequently I have to download tutorials from microsoftvirtualacademy.com.  Sorry, if you want I would refer you to Dell's (ticket still open because some problem were not solved) and Microsoft's (I had other problem and created ticket for a specific incident - they tried to solve this issue after major problem has been solved) guys (I suggest that bug tickets are in their databases).  They would witness.  I don't think that you need a configuration of my computer.  Microsoft's guy spent more than 3 hrs(!!!) but did not find anything.   Dell's guys did the same manipulations as Microsoft's - reset IE, uninstall/reinstall IE, create new account - result - ZERO (as a result they made a decision to reformat C: drive and make a clean install of Win 8).  I suggest that when this application is running it change some permissions.  I repeat that Microsoft's guy logged in to hidden built-in administrator's account and could download everything without any problems.  I suggest that after app. "tweak" IE user's rights were downgraded.  No messages, no any error, no information in error log.  NOTHING.  I don't know which settings of your tweaker Dell's guys use.  Maybe it is a special combination of items.  I have no idea.  If this forum allow it I can send you PM with e-mail of Dell's guys who tried to help me.  I suggest that it is a standard Dell's procedure.  I can not disclose an email of Dell's premium support at open forums.

When Microsoft's guys tested my computer they found out a very rare virus.  Unfortunately after virus was removed I thought that hidden virus corrupted IE.  Two days ago I did not have problems with downloads form IE (I tested).  Problem appeared immediately after Dell's guy run tweaker.

P.S.  Sorry, I forgot.  When I press ctrl+J - downloads - this option were also disabled.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:14:20 pm by UriF »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 09:14:17 pm »
Like I said, I run it every day and never had this happen, that means there is an unknown variable on your system that might be causing it, so lets see if we can find out what :-)

First rule of thumb with my program is to always run the repairs in safe mode and to make sure to run them all. So lets try a few things.

From what you said this sounds like it might be a simple problem with the UAC. I have had this happen on a lot of my customers machines, not from running my program but from something else with the UAC not working like it should. Normally the trick is to turn the UAC on or off (What ever it isnt set to now) reboot and then turn it back to what it was before. With Windows 8 you want the UAC turned on as the only way to fully turn it off is in the registry. Otherwise in Windows 8 when the UAC is turned all the way down it simply stops asking you for permission but doesnt actually turn off.

So a few things to try first, right click on IE and make sure to run it as administrator and see how that does, if that works then we know it is a UAC problem.

Also as for the repairs, did he make sure to run all the repairs and to run them in safe mode? And of course to make sure to always use the most current version. If he didnt do that then you can do that just make sure to have the program do a registry backup first, so that way anything that doesnt work right we can just restore the registry (Which they should have done in the first place)

Lets go from there :wink:

Shane

Offline UriF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 09:21:44 pm »
I can not reproduce this problem now because they did a clean install and everything work fine (I still did not have chance to re-install all of my zoo).  They run tweaker not in the safe mode (in regular way).  They access my computer remotely.  Unfortunately, they did not make registry backup.  As a result clean install of operation system...

The problem was when I called them - Event log crashed and I had problems with boot.  After they run tweaker these problems gone but problem with IE appeared...

P.S.  To tell you the true I exhausted of these problems with IE (M$ did something with virtual academy and old hot fixes hence you could download them only with IE), windows update crashes (I run from time to time DISM, sfc & MS troubleshooter), re-installation Nero Platinum (updates problem - at last solved), some errors in Event Logs (I understood 80% but 20% req'd research) that I do not ready to do any additional experiments.  I bought this expensive computer to run MS Visual Studio/MS SQL but not for games.  By the way if you have a chance/time to discuss my OS problems in private I would greatly appreciate.  I totally dissatisfy with Dell's premium support because they are not able to understand entries in event log and just run standard tools.  Therefore they can not explain some "strange" effects and try to convince that everything fine.  Some of solutions I found @ Internet but not everything...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:36:35 pm by UriF »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:26:18 pm »
Ah! I see.

Well shot, I would have loved to have helped you get that working. Well in the future if you ever have trouble feel free to post here and I will help :-)

Backup is the most important thing, I cant believe they are not making backups when using my program, I even have it enabled by default to make a backup. Rookies lol

Shane

Offline UriF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:40:25 pm »
Could I contact you by e-mail or PM (e-mail is better because I could send you screenshots)?  Moreover these issues are not refer to tweaker itself?
Thank you in advance

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:45:38 pm »
My email is just shane at tweaking.com, it is also listed on the about page on the site.

No I dont think it is a problem with my program but instead a unknown variable on the system that caused a side effect, if the system hadnt been reinstalled yet I would have worked with you to find out what. But I have seen IE do this before (Without running my program) and it was UAC related.

In facted I had a customer today, on Windows 7 who had UAC enabled but it was never asking for permission for anything and so nothing was running as administrator unless he told it to.

When you log into the administrator account in Windows the UAC automatically disables itself for that account and the admin is the true admin, so UAC gets out of the way. When you said it worked in the hidden admin account then I knew it sounded like the same problem, because under that account the UAC treats it different. So your problem sounded like a UAC problem, not IE. IE simply wasnt getting permission to save the files because UAC was blocking it.

While I have seen this before and fixed it every time I have never been able to find out the cause. Again on these other systems my program was never even ran. So there is a variable somewhere, I just need a chance to try to find it and then I can put in a fix for it :-D

10 P.M for me I will be on a little longer before I call it a night.

Shane

Offline UriF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 10:00:05 pm »
Thank you.  Now in NYC too late.  I will prepare questions and send you tomorrow.  I like to learn and do everything myself.  I thought that if Dell manufacture very stable and expensive computer they also have qualified enough guys for support.    I was totally wrong...