Author Topic: Reset Registry Permission question - Running Windows Repair 3.1.5 (SOLVED)  (Read 6568 times)

Offline ceeharm

• View Profile
So a few months ago I signed up for Microsoft Assure protection for my 8.1 machine.  I had noticed errors popping up in the reliability monitor and had seen a few issues with windows update (running forever, not catching updates, etc).
The tech used Windows Repair as a tool and it seemed to clear things up - in any case, the past couple of days my laptop has been reverting back to old issues.  I think running the windows update repair has fixed it, but I decided last night to run the full menu of fixes.
That being said, step one (reset registry permissions) was still 'running' this morning after 7 1/2 hours.  I use the air quotes because the CPU meter was quiet - I assumed the reset had frozen, so I cancelled out.
Three questions -
1) 7 1/2 hours is too long, right?
2) Was it ok to stop the repair?
3) Suggestions for getting it to run correctly?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:09:08 am by ceeharm »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Reset Registry Permission question - Running Windows Repair 3.1.5
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 01:21:13 pm »
Make sure to run all the repairs in Windows safe mode, every time and I mean every time a user has trouble with a repair not running or never finishing it has always been because of a 3rd party program messing with it. So safe mode is the way to do it and then the repairs can run without trouble.

The permission repairs runs the SetACL exe in the files folder with the program, that is the exe that does the permissions work and so you should check to make sure it is running in the task manager.

Normally that repair, depending on the number of files and such normally doesnt take more than 10 min, normally faster than that. On an old slow machine it could take a while, but never 7 hours :wink:

Shane

Offline ceeharm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 01:39:36 pm »
Shane,
Thank you for the reply - is safe mode something that is easy to do in 8.1?  I thought I would try it again tonight when I return home.
Again, thank you for a great product.

CH

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 01:41:21 pm »
MS made getting into safe mode in Windows 8 different, they disabled the F8 menu by default and instead you have to go through windows itself (Horrible design)

There is a few ways you can do it, msconfig is the easiest way I think, here are a few ways for you :wink:
http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81

Shane

Offline ceeharm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 01:43:14 pm »
I assume safe mode with networking

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 01:45:06 pm »
Safe mode with networking is only needed for the repair windows 8 component store, this is because the Dism command it uses in windows will download any missing updates or files from windows updates if it can, also seems to be part of the reason of why that tool from MS can take HOURS, but all other repairs dont need to have network access, so normal safe mode is fine as well :-)

Shane