Author Topic: Crashed Windows Caused by Tweaking Repair tool  (Read 8935 times)

Offline jroe

• View Profile
Crashed Windows Caused by Tweaking Repair tool
« on: June 16, 2015, 11:49:38 am »
I have a Windows 8.1 Pro computer that I worked on a few weeks back after a hard disk crash - after running the repair tool it started crashing explorer.exe and flashing the desktop background - I could not find a fix and though it was a corrupt drive so I rebuild the entire system. 

Now 3 weeks later something broke dnsapi.dll - I tried a number of fixes and decided to run the file, registry, and service permissions fixes in the repair tool.  After doing so the same issue has returned.

Even in safe mode and another user profile.

The exact error is:

The instruction at 0xa4ed82f0 referenced memory at 0xa4ed82f0.  The memory could not be written. 

It lists as an explorer.exe Application error but also occurs with task manager and some other applications.  I can use task manager to launch command prompt and a few programs.

I did use secedit to restore the default security database and now I can see my desktop between flashes which didn't occur before. 

Offline jroe

• View Profile
Re: Crashed Windows Caused by Tweaking Repair tool
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:02:30 pm »
A bit more info.

I just noticed in my task manager that "Thumbnail Handler Extraction Host" is spinning up new processes like crazy with each crash

There is reference online to this crash loop being caused by Norton - This system does not have norton, never has and does not have the referenced CPL those posts mention.

There is reference to disabling skydrive being a fix but I've not been able to try that.

The same errors also occur when trying to repair the office install which I attempted to see if skydrive was the cause.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:36:08 pm by jroe »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:16:04 pm »
95% of the repairs are registry related. It will not corrupt your system files. all you have to do is reload the registry to before the repairs and anything it changed would go back to the way it was. But what it sounds like is something different. have you tried running 
Code: [Select]
chkdsk c: /r can you run that from an administrator elevated command prompt and go to event viewer and post the log. I posted a picture with steps to take.

Julian

Offline jroe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 01:26:02 pm »
I have run checkdisk and there are no issues

I also restored the registry using the application and it did not correct the issues

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 01:49:50 pm »
can you post the chkdsk log for me?

I'm thinking maybe a memory issue. run this from elevated command prompt choose to restart and run the test.

mdsched.exe

let me know what it tells you

Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 11:33:19 pm »
 :omg: It just dawned on me I remember a customer having this issue after a dying disk rescue... your ntuser.dat file may be corrupted...

This is the easy way to fix this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

I know another way it is a more advanced way using the registry and you may lose personal files if done incorrectly.
The ntuser.dat is actually a registry hive for that user all setting for that user profile are in there.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 04:16:02 am »
If restoring the registry didnt fix it then the problem is something else, I run the program on Windows 8 all the time and never had this problem before, so I am curious what the different varible is on your system. Can you post the chkdsk log? And when  you ran chkdsk did you do the bad sector check?

Shane