Author Topic: How Do I Replace Package files Found to be a problem on the Tweaking Pre Scan?  (Read 18567 times)

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
I upgraded Windows Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate.The  Microsoft update does not function now. I ran the pre scan on Tweaking and it lists 230 Problem Package files that need to be replaced. How do I replace these files?   :undecided:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:07:16 am by Les46410 »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
can you post the missing .cat and .mum files and i'll try to pull them for you  :cheesy:
Julian

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
Thanks for your reply. All 260 files are mum. Would it be the right thing to run an update from the installation disk? I have attached the file, I appreciate your help.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
alright after work tomorrow ill get these files for you and your os is (Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1) (32-bit)
It may take me a moment to fetch them but ill try as fast as i can  :smiley:
Julian

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
I appreciate your help very much, this has been very troublesome.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
when shane gets back on monday he can do this in minutes lol...
Julian

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
I understand that, I am just glad that there is help available.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Before shane or boggins advice, pl better to download and read this pdf in the given link.
           If you miss any step, pl have it mind to create a restore point , so that if it does not work, you could restore to previous stage.
                              If you have already gone thro this, just skip it and wait for Shane.
                                      Normally packages files could be fixed with windows readiness tool. But since you have upgraded to windows 7 from vista, it is better that you read the pdf without doing anything.
                                         Upgrading sometimes does not fetches full packages.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline jraju

• View Profile

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
Hi, thanks for the link to the Microsoft help page. However, I have already upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate. The install went fine and the computer runs this OS well. The problem is that it will not update. I have several other computers with Windows 7 and they have many updates (perhaps 100 or more) since the inception of the Windows 7 OS. So, I am concerned about this computer with no security updates. That is why I ran Tweaking.com and found in the pre scan that the .cat .mum files were not recognized as valid (either corrupt or not digitally signed). That is the reason the update service will not run. I have looked at many web pages that reference this problem but have found no solution. I am hopeful that Shane has the expertise to save me on this problem.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
First grab the zip file off this page and apply the reg file it in to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer.
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/add_quottake_ownershipquot_to_right_click_menu_in_vista_amp_7,1.html

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

I have attached the missing files, extract the files out of the attached zip file and put them in the C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run my pre-scan again, put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :wink:

Shane

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
Hi Shane, Thanks for your response. I followed your directions and copied the files to the packages folder. I ran the scan from Tweaking once again.....the results are different from the last scan but still indicate that the .mum files are possibly corrupt or not digitally signed. I have attached the text file from the scan results. Did I possibly miss something?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I know what is going on, I just had this happen on a system I reinstalled, every mum file was failing. This was because the cat database couldnt be read, when I dug in I found out it had to do with the intel chipset drivers. It was causing Windows to not read the drive correctly and give errors.

In my case I went to device manager and then ide devices and clicked roolback driver and went back to the default microsoft ones. Other users have reported that downloading the current intel drivers fixed them up as well.

Since you did an upgrade from vista to 7, then that might be what is going on here and it is a driver problem that is causing this :-)

Shane

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
Shane, I checked all of the drivers in Device Manager. None of them have a previous version to roll back to nor a newer version to update to. That seems a bit odd to me. Any suggestions on a next step?

Les Crouch

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, did you check the properties in the driver in the device manager. Do you mean to say that there is no driver . It will show you the driver details and driver id details in another tab.If there is no driver, the device would not work. Pl check the driver of the device. You might not have the previous vrsion installed. But check for drivers. Otherwise, yellow exclamation mark would be there. is there any other or unknown device

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, did you check the properties in the driver in the device manager. Do you mean to say that there is no driver . It will show you the driver details and driver id details in another tab.If there is no driver, the device would not work. Pl check the driver of the device. You might not have the previous vrsion installed. But check for drivers. Otherwise, yellow exclamation mark would be there. is there any other or unknown device

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
Hi, I did check the device manager and all drivers were in place and current. Shane had indicated that he had corrected a similar problem by rolling back IDE drivers to a previous version. However, the rollback option was "grayed out" for IDE devices so I could not revert to a previous version. I also checked to see if there were any newer drivers available and I received the message that the newest driver was installed. I appreciate any thoughts on what may be preventing my computer from receiving updates.

Les Crouch

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You have to download new drivers, windows wont find them by searching for them.

What is the exact build/model of your computer and I can go hunt down the chipset drivers :-)

Shane

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
Hi Shane, This computer is a Dell Inspiron 1525 2.0 GHZ Celeron Processor laptop. I have continued to search sites where people have posted solutions to the same or similar update problems. Interestingly, I have arrived at a point that when I go to the update now and click the button there is a momentary flash of a progress bar "searching for updates" then it reverts back to the update now button. I think there is a communication issue between the updater and the internet connection but I don't know where to go from here. I appreciate that you are continuing to look at this for me, thanks.

Les Crouch

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Windows doesnt download the drivers like that, so that isnt the way to do it. I checked and they only had vista 32 bit drivers for your system, it is the intel 965m chipset, I found the windows 7 drivers at intels site, grab them here
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20019/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-6-5-4-3-900-Series-Chipsets

once you download the infinst_autol.exe make sure to run it and let it install, once done you just have to reboot :-)

Shane

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
Hi Shane, I downloaded  infinst_autol.exe and tried to install it on this computer, but it opens and says it is initializing but just hangs. It will not progress past that point. It is strange because other programs load and install OK. Something seems to interfere with certain types of download/install operations. Is there a way to finesse the install?

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
It seems that every file that I download from Microsoft fails to install. I tried to install Microsoft update agent but it fails the install.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Did you check with the manufacturers. Some of the drivers by window updates may fail sometime but not always. Normally windows updates but if does not, there is a way of updating the drivers .Either you could get the drivers from manufacturer site or else you could update the drivers in device manager.
                                          I fail to understand how that without drivers the device would work. You also said that the latest update drivers have been already installed. So, it is not drivers problem but some other thing.
                       Did you check your event viewer for errror codes. If you send specific error id, then shane would be able to give his solution .
Did you try windows readiness tool? If upgradation is correct, then it will copy itself, when you run this tool. This is mainly for windows failed updates.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:46:53 pm by jraju »

Offline Les46410

• View Profile
Hello, the drivers are OK. I have downloaded the Windows readiness tool, but it will not install (see my last post) When I try to install downloads from Microsoft I get various error codes (ox8000ffff and 0x800704c e.g.) or the installation will just hang and freeze until you delete it with task manager. I am trying to find a way to install the Microsoft downloads, I think they may correct whatever malfunction is the root of this. The OS seems to be OK other than the install issue.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Try this . This may work
Try executing these commands in the command prompt.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\services.msc

3. You'll get the services window. Stop the following services by right clicking on the service and clicking on stop.

i. Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

ii. Cryptographic Service.

iii. Windows Update Service.

4. Once you have stopped these services, please go back to the command prompt and rename the folders catroot2 and software distribution.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ren catroot2 catroot2.old

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cd..

C:\WINDOWS\ren softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old

5. Once you've renamed the folders, please restart the services that you stopped.

i. Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

ii. Cryptographic Service.

iii. Windows Update Service.

6. Now close both the windows; Services and Command Prompt.

7. Now try installing System Update Readiness Tool.