Author Topic: Windows Update error - BITS not starting - SOLVED  (Read 31786 times)

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
Windows Update error - BITS not starting - SOLVED
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:07:50 am »
I’m really struggling here and desperately hoping you can help.

PC is a Dell Inspiron One, about 3.5 years old, running Windows 7 HP SP1.
Windows update checks and downloads updates but won’t install – error code 80246008 which boils down to BITS not started. Attempting to start BITS produces error code 2147024894.

So, run lots of MS fixits etc and not getting anywhere at all.
Machine currently running in clean boot mode ie. all non-MS services and scheduled tasks etc turned off including Avast.
Standard chkdsk produces ‘no errors found', the longer chkdsk c: /r made some changes but did not improve matters – log attached.

Several sfc scans over the last few days consistently produce the same two errorred items which I haven’t worked out what to do with:

2015-07-07 10:51:23, Info                  CSI    00000337 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"utc.app.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.1.7601.18869, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-07-07 10:51:23, Info                  CSI    00000339 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:66{33}]"telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.1.7601.18869, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-07-07 10:51:23, Info                  CSI    0000033b [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"utc.app.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.1.7601.18869, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-07-07 10:51:23, Info                  CSI    0000033c [SR] This component was referenced by [l:162{81}]"Package_250_for_KB3068708~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.3068708-814_neutral_GDR"
2015-07-07 10:51:23, Info                  CSI    0000033e [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:66{33}]"telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.1.7601.18869, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-07-07 10:51:23, Info                  CSI    0000033f [SR] This component was referenced by [l:162{81}]"Package_250_for_KB3068708~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.3068708-814_neutral_GDR"

Did a power reset, then booted in safe mode with networking, started a run of the latest 3.2.3 tweaking all-in-one.
Pre-scan produced a list of problems with Reparse Points and a couple of Environment Variables – see attached.

I guess my questions at this stage boil down to:
1.   Given my original problem of Windows Updates failing due to BITS not starting, is it likely that the Repair Tool may help?
2.   Do the SFC errors cause concern – I know some errors can be ignored, but are these of that nature?
3.   As the Reparse Points Repair and Environment Variables repair are both optional in the pre-scan, can I do any harm by running them at this stage?
Any help gratefully received.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:38:40 am by LadyBird »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Update error - BITS not starting - help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 01:09:59 pm »
Have you tried running the windows repair tool in safe mode and run all the repairs? I believe repair number 17 should help on the bits try running the repairs and let me know what happens.
and don't forget to back up registry first lol
 :smiley:
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:01:58 pm »
I would go for creating a full external system image first.

Just to check if BITS Dependencies are started, can you go Start - type services.msc and press enter then scroll down to check that COM+ Event System and Remote Procedure Call are showing as Started and Automatic.

BITS should be showing as Auto - Delayed, although mine is showing as Demand but Started.

If yours is also showing as Demand then right click on it, select Properties and use the dropdown to change it to Auto (Delayed Start) then click on Start - Apply - OK.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:25:40 pm »
Make sure the system is clean of infections first, adwcleaner, malwarebytes and combofix will normally do well.

And yes, you can run my repairs even with the problems in the pre-scan, make sure to run them in safe mode and run them all, after you know the system is clean, make sure it does a registry backup first.

A lot of viruses remove the bits service, so while my repair will put it back, if it is still infected it will just be removed again, this is why we ned to make sure it is clean first :wink:

Shane

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:56:53 am »
Thanks for the comments, answers to these so far:

Julian - I'm running the repairs in safe mode (although it's taken 7 attempts with F8 this morning to hit the right spot to prevent normal startup). Not gone past the prescan yet, will be moving on shortly.

Boggin - All other services started ok and BITS is set for Auto Delayed but won't actually start

Shane - various scans already run with Avast, ADWcleaner, Kaspersky TDSSkiller and Malwarebytes, all clean (well apart from a couple of minor bits in ADWcleaner).
Done a manual reg export and created a restore point, but will also get the tool to do it's own as well.

Fingers crossed then, I'm going to carry on.

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 02:51:40 am »
Status update  :sad:
Okay, ran the repair tool, under safe mode, with all default ticks for items to run.
The only bit I skipped was repairing the reparse points, and running sfc as I knew this would find the errors outlined in my original post.
It trundled through pretty quickly (less than 10 minutes I think, I wandered off and when I came back it was ready for a restart).

Restart and log in normal, but BITS still not starting and reports same error code if I try to start it manually.
Everything else appears to be as it should be.

So I've switched off and will try to get back in under safe mode again to run it through a second time as per the advice within the tool.

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 04:30:03 am »
Status update 2  :sad: :sad:

Second full run of the repair tool (safe mode etc) - reboot, still no BITS.

One other aside - I ran the Env Variables repair on the pre-scan, rebooted, ran pre-scan again and it still shows the same two errors.
The errors themselves are probably irrelevant, but is the fact that the fix doesn't hold of significance?

Is there anything further I can try here?

Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 07:51:00 am »
Is bits showing up in the services? Can you also post a screen shot of the error when you try to start it if it is showing in the services, also after you try go check the event viewer and see if there is anything logged for it :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 07:57:23 am »
The Telemetry errors being reported in sfc are a result of KB3068708 which hopefully MS will fix with this month's updates, but otherwise they are nothing to worry about.

I should think there are quite a lot of people out there with machines working okay that are completely unaware of these entries, but you can see if SFCFix.exe will correct them - give that a try. http://thetechcookbook.com/automatic-sfc-corruption-repair-sfcfix-exe/

While you have BITS listed in Services, this article rebuilds it when it has gone missing, possibly due to malware - bit it's worth a shot if you want to try it. http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/fix-background-intelligent-transfer-service-bits-missing-services/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:01:42 am by Boggin »

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:21:44 am »
Hi Shane
Yes, BITS listed in services. Attached pictures show service listing, error on attempting to start, and two entries in Eventvwr for the attempt.

Boggin
Thanks for the reassurance that the sfc errors are not too serious, I can wait for a MS fix - provided I get the Wins Updates working again!
I will take a look at the other link you supplied re BITS.

Cheers.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 08:08:39 am »
Boggin you are brilliant!

It wasn't precisely one of these instructions, and I need to get everything put back together again to make sure fully operational, BUT I have BITS running and have successfully installed one update.  :cheesy:

The first link didn't help as the specified key to delete any values (HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\ Windows\WindowsUpdate) does not exist on this machine.

The second link said to create the following key if missing: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
The key wasn't missing, but it seemed to have quite a big value in one item (see attached). So, I thought - what can I lose? I backed up the key then deleted and recreated it.
Open services - start BITS - yes.
Windows Update - install one important update - yes.

So, as I say, I need to reverse the 'clean boot' settings and makes sure everything stays up but this is definitely the happiest I have been in over a week!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 08:25:55 am »
That's great news LadyBird :)

For the benefit of any Google Spiders, can you detail the steps you took to recreate that key.

Edit - Mine has a lot more in it than yours -

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:12:21 am by Boggin »

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
Re: Windows Update error - BITS not starting - SOLVED
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 10:54:47 am »
Okay, everything looks hunky dory now so here's my update.

Original Problem: Windows update checks and downloads updates but won’t install – error code 80246008.
Caused by Background Intelligent Transfer Service or BITS not running.

BITS Service listed and showing for Auto – delayed start, but attempts to start it manually produced an error of:
"Windows could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer service on the local computer. For more information review the system event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service contact the service vendor and refer to service-specific error code -2147024894. (0x80070002)."
Event Viewer shows two entries in the SYSTEM log for each failed attempt at starting BITS referencing these two error codes.

Final solution – a permutation based on KB910337 ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910337#%2Fen-us%2Fkb%2F910337), even though that referred to Windows XP rather than Windows 7.

1.   Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2.   Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
3.   If the registry subkey does not exist, create the registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps:
   1.   Right-click Backup Restore, point to New, and then click Key.
   2.   Type FilesNotToBackup, and then press ENTER.
4.   If the registry subkey exists
   1.   Right-click FilesNotToBackup, point to Export and click
   2.   Give it a name eg. filesnottobackup and save to the desktop
   3.   Right-click FilesNotToBackup, point to Delete and click
   4.   Follow step 3. to create a new key.

5.   Quit Registry Editor.
6.   Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
7.   Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
8.   In the General tab, click Start.

Once BITS starts successfully, then everything else settles down.

Once again, enormous thanks to Boggin for digging out further suggestions on this one - I'd gone cross-eyed looking for new options!
 :cheesy:

(Edit 10/07 as I left out the step for Delete.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:29:44 am by LadyBird »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 07:06:09 am »
Yes, I noticed that :)

On reflection regarding that article, I'm not sure what difference it would make if the key was already there - but it was a good call deleting it and then recreating it.

I wonder if the Poster in that article had also forgotten to include the "delete" bit :D

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 12:41:32 pm »
Outstanding, I am out for the weekend as I am heading out of town to install 2 new servers I built for a customer.

Do me a fav and send me a reminder post or email on monday about this fix, I will look into it and see if it will be safe to add to the windows repair tool :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 02:20:59 am »
Just giving this thread a Bump to remind you about the BITS fix.

Hope your weekend work went well.

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 03:02:44 am »
Hi Shane, it’s well after the weekend here on this side of the pond, although I guess it’s still the middle of Sunday night for you.
Boggin beat me to the bump for the reminder for you to consider this issue for potential inclusion in the Windows Repair tool.
(I’ve also had a quite a quick look at the registry key on two machines which haven’t had any problems – one Wins 7 and one Wins 8. These both show very much bigger lists of values in the FilesNotToBackup key, something like 20-30 entries in each. If you want a screen grab of these to help determine whether it’s always safe to delete as part of a general repair, just shout.)

And secondly, not sure if this helps, but I believe I may have found out what actually caused it in my case – through the ‘lucky circumstance’ of managing to achieve the same thing on a second machine.
Original machine had gone through a lot of standard clean-ups, av and adware scans, uninstalling obsolete progs, chkdsk and sfc, windows cleanup function, and also running McAfee, Panda and Norton Software Removal tools as there were still remnants of all three of these previous apps. It was four days before I spotted the BITS problem as there hadn’t been any new Windows Updates in the meantime, so I really had no idea of what the culprit was – as best I could make out, SFC was the last thing done.

Fast forward to this weekend, small HP laptop with out-of-date Norton 360 and wanting an install of Kaspersky.
So, uninstall N360 through standard add/remove programs and reboot. Run Norton Removal Tool and reboot.
Glance at Task Manager/services because I’m on autopilot and I’ve started seeing them in my sleep – BITS not started. Attempted a manual start and got my old error message friend of “Windows could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer service on the local computer. For more information review the system event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service contact the service vendor and refer to service-specific error code -2147024894. (0x80070002).” and eventviewer shows the same errors.

In this case the FilesNotToBackup subkey of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\ didn’t already exist so simple creation of the key fixed it straight away.

I have run Norton Removal tool many times in the past without any apparent issues, but I always download a fresh copy every time so the file used on these two machine actually showed the same version numbering, unlike the last one I ran quite happily on my sister’s laptop only three weeks ago.

I'm pretty well convinced that this must have been the cause as there were no signs of update or BITS issues in the event viewer prior to running the Norton Remover on the second machine, and the same tool was run on both machines.
Any use to you?  :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 08:21:04 am »
I currently use Norton 360 but have had to use NRT a few times when the Norton Remove and Reinstall wouldn't work and have yet to get problems with BITS.

I keep NRT in my Downloads folder, but it prompts if there is an updated version.

It could still be the cause as uninstalling AVG for some has caused problems with Windows Firewall and the problem with BITS could be Norton's "revenge" for being dumped.

It must have been a nice feeling being able to go straight in and fix that HP machine :D

EDIT - Just wondering if Shane could incorporate WR to just delete the files in FilesNotToBackup such as ren FilesNotToBackup FilesNotToBackup.old but it would have to be there to rename - which could be the sticker.

Re, your last post - you can trial Norton for 30 days free if ever you are at a loose end :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:46:21 am by Boggin »

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 08:29:42 am »
Hi Boggin, it certainly was a nice feeling!  :cheesy:
And it felt good to suddenly have a clue as to the cause.
Almost made all hair tearing for the previous week worth it - almost, but not quite...

But definitely one to keep an eye on for the future. I'd like to get another one so that I can see the specific key before and after running the remover, but I'm not that desperate that I'm going to put Norton on the pc then remove it just to see if it breaks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 08:35:22 am »
Was in the middle of editing my last post.

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 08:38:10 am »
Ha ha.
I think you've guessed my reply to that!  :wink:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 10:30:53 pm »
Looks like an easy fix to add, I just need to add that registry key getting made. I will put it into multiple repairs, easiest one will be to add the registry key to the bits.reg file int he program for each os, that way multiple repairs that call it will apply it if needed.

I also looked at the page and it doesnt say anything about deleting it, just to create it.

Windows could not start the Background Intelligent Transfer service on the local computer. For more information review the system event log. If this is a non-Microsoft service contact the service vendor and refer to service-specific error code -2147024894. (0x80070002)
If you receive this error message, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
    If the registry subkey exists, go to step 4. If the registry subkey does not exist, create the registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps:
        Right-click Backup Restore, point to New, and then click Key.
        Type FilesNotToBackup, and then press ENTER.
    Quit Registry Editor.
    Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
    In the General tab, click Start.

So I will go add this registry key to the bits service reg file and that way the restore important services, repair windows updates should both fix it. :wink:

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 01:18:43 am »
While LadyBird's file did exist, it didn't contain anywhere near what I had in mine as my illustration in Reply #12 shows.

Offline LadyBird

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 03:06:37 am »
Yes, my original dodgy PC had a single entry in the key, with a name of OfficeODC and a very long string of values in the data.
Two 'normal' machines have a lot of entries but nothing like that dodgy one.
(I have another screenshot and a regkey export of the dodgy one if you're interested!)